Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Swinley forest next weekend – FS or HT?
  • dantsw13

Hi, my cycle group are visiting Swinley Forest next weekend, for a ride with the locals. Is a FS or HT more suited there? Its my first visit, so any advice appreciated.

My choice is my Heckler (150 revs, light build ), or OnOne C456 (140 Talas, even lighter!!)

dobo
    Free Member

i imagine it would be preety soggy so HT, saying that i always use a HT anyway

allthepies
    Free Member

Some kind of amphibious vehicle ? 😉

Jason
    Free Member

The 456 would be the best option.

You will be fine on Saturday, but if you are planning on riding there next Sunday the Gorrick Enduro is on so lots of the trails will be taped off. Not a good day for a general ride around Swinley.

shortcut

Hardtack will do a good job. Could be soggy though! And gritty.

dantsw13

It can’t be as wet as some of our local trails!! Some are completely unrideable with axle deep mud!!!

Will The Enduro route not affect Saturday riding as well?

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is a jump area and a few table tops, but you could ride those on the 456. I’d say the HT anyway.

boltonjon

The Gorrick people will be out all day Saturday setting out the course, so the trails are likely to be blocked in places

You’ll be right on a hard tail but bring plenty of spare brake pads

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t get this brake pad thing, I’ve ridden Swinley a few times, never worn out any pads and generally find I do relatively little braking as its pretty flat and pedally certainly compared to Surrey Hills.

boltonjon

The Swinley Grit is at its harshest with the current weather

I’ve known of people to go through a set in a day

Much like i experienced today in the Chilterns!!

dobo
    Free Member

yea this weather kills the pads at swinley, no doubt there will be a thread about this after the gorrick race about pads being killed.
    if i were doing it id take a spare set for sure.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’d say hardtail, but then thats all I have.
    You do see plenty of carbon-dream-machine full sussers down there (mostly leaning against the cafe wall) but there isn’t much of it you couldn’t nail on a decent hardtail.

dantsw13

But there’s also none of it that I can’t ride on my Heckler either!! Will a 29 lb trail bike be way too much bike? Are there a lot of fun downs/jumps/drops?

freeagent
    Free Member

But there’s also none of it that I can’t ride on my Heckler either!! Will a 29 lb trail bike be way too much bike? Are there a lot of fun downs/jumps/drops?

You are dead right – its your call.
    I guess what I’m saying is you don’t need a full susser for any of it.. if you want to take one i’m sure you’ll have just as much fun.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t get this brake pad thing, I’ve ridden Swinley a few times, never worn out any pads and generally find I do relatively little braking as its pretty flat and pedally certainly compared to Surrey Hills.

Like a lot of places it eat’s them in the wet, I did the enduro years ago and like most people struggled after the first lap, and yes there can be quite a bit of braking, especialy in the wet!

As for which bike, the most fun I’ve had at Swinley was on a BMX, least fun was on the Pitch.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I agree the bolton jon as Its my local stomping ground and the grit will kill of any brake pads ! swinley is what you make of it really, ride it fast and you will be using your brakes 🙂

deanfbm
    Free Member

Hardtail for sure.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Swinley forest next weekend – FS or HT?’ is closed to new replies.