Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swimming with glasses / contact lenses
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

Anyone here have any good solutions?

I alternate between specs and daily disposable lenses. Neither seems very good for swimming with.

I’ve tried cheap goggles but they leak and I end up just as blind with them on. Are fancy goggles worth it?

Don’t really fancy the expense of prescription goggles for the amount of use they’d get.

Yak

I just leave my lenses in with a pair of speedo goggles. They don’t leak, but the anti-fog coating has gone now, so vision still isn’t great.

simon_g

Just try more goggles until you find some that fit you better, they shouldn’t leak. If you have a Decathlon nearby then they usually have a good selection out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

I swim around 3 times a week, and use disposable contacts and Speedo Speedsocket goggles. I wear specs normally, with high prescription, so just pop the contacts in before getting changed and remove at end of swim. The goggles last about a year a pair before losing any antifog or leaking at all.

nedrapier

I’ve worn contacts without goggles, the contacts fog up in chloriney water, but I don’t tend to sim in pools much. No issues in sea and lakes.

However, I’ll be re-evaluating after reading about this yesterday. Rare, but I wouldn’t want it to happen to me!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthamoeba_keratitis

slowster
    Free Member

Don’t really fancy the expense of prescription goggles for the amount of use they’d get.

Off the shelf lenses with prescriptions in standard increments for some goggles might be what you want (no need for an exact prescription when your head is constantly in and out of the water as you swim).

For example, Wiggle sell these goggles which take these lenses.

loum
    Free Member

+ 1 for them aquashere eagles

close enough to be unnoticeable, fit well, don’t leak

jackthedog
    Free Member

The Aquaspheres look spot on.

I’ll get some ordered when I get home.

Anything to avoid that hideousness linked by nedrapier…

Thanks for the advice.

julians
    Free Member

I can only wear contacts ( glasses cannot correct my vision) and have always swam in them in both sea and pool without any fogging up problems. I just bought a cheap pair of speedo goggles and they work fine.

I have occaisionally forgotton that i didnt have goggles on and gone under water and opened my eyes and all was fine.

Not withstanding the AK link up there

DezB
    Free Member

Got my goggles from Decathlon. Great fit, no leakage. Been used in pretty rough sea. (Contact lense wearer)

grumpysculler
    Free Member

Get goggles that don’t leak.

I wear contacts under goggles. But you MUST take your lenses out when you leave the pool or you risk nasty eye eating diseases.

If they are resuable, they need to go through a full disinfect cycle. If disposable, you should give your eyes a couple of hours to wash themselves before putting another pair in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d love a pair of goggles that didn’t leak at all. I’d love to avoid having to faff with lenses. Then again, there’s always a sink and mirror at pools so might not be too bad.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swimming with glasses / contact lenses’ is closed to new replies.