Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Suzuki Jimny – whaddya think?
  • geoffj

Mrs J wants a smaller car for work, and now that we don’t need to cart around all the paraphernalia you need for small kids, I reckon something like a jimny would be useful.

Obviously the current amount of snow is partly influencing my thoughts, but even without it, a small 4×4 would still be useful for firewood gathering etc.

Opinions, alternatives, horror stories?

iDave
    Free Member

Someone in Cornwall thinks they’re awesome. I would tend to agree.

iainc

my mother has one 😛 and she’s 77 !!

That said, they live in the sticks and are regularly snowed in (including now, if they didn’t have the Jimny) – it is every bit as able in the rough stuff as a SWB Landy.

It is very small, and quite horrible to drive in ‘normal’ conditions if you want to go over 50mph. I don’t think I would be totally comfartable putting my kids in it regularly – cetailnly not motorway or faster road driving

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hairychested
    Free Member

Loads of guys I know use them off road properly. A bit ugly but capable. Beware fast cornering!

P20

We’ve got friends who live up farm track on top of a hill. They bought the Jimny last year and its been superb apparently.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Very easy to roll from what i have heard – not driven one myself though.

geoffj

I don’t think I would be totally comfartable putting my kids in it regularly

That is one of my concerns, but we’d be keeping the other car for family journeys.

iainc

they are fun to drive slowly, but if you do ever get over 50, quite scary.

Mat will be along soon !! 😆

valleydaddy
    Free Member

probably the perfect vehicle for what you want, not much else available like it bar an old fiat panda 4×4 if you can find one.

Suppose A3 quattro would be no good??

I’d go for the Jiminy and if you don’t get on with it I’m sure you can sell it on for similar what you paid for it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-suzuki-jeep-/220711883603?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3363741353

like this one

Pigface
    Free Member

Great little things. Go anywhere fun.

iainc

on the plus side, they are very reliable. Missus used to have a Grand Vitara, which we had for 3 yrs and it never missed a beat (apart from the twice she crashed it in the wet 😆 torquey diesel, light back end RWD and no electronics, fun on roundabouts) )

geoffj

Suppose A3 quattro would be no good??

That’s another on the list, but it’s a slightly different proposition, and I’m not sure I could use the firewood gathering excuse 8)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

tow bar and trailer??

Woody
    Free Member

They don’t get very good reviews but a guy at work has one and reckons it is great for general stuff except motorways. Ideal runaround especially at the moment and as has been said they hold their value pretty well and are reliable.

There are other similar options depending on your budget Fiat Panda, Suzuki SX4, Ford Kuga

Edric64
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-LADA-NIVA-RHD-RED-/250739695234?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a61401e82

These are great but rare in good nick now.New ones are available but as left hookers only

mattsccm
    Free Member

Find a 4wd drive site to see what they work like off road. Ace. had mine from new, 04 and 77K miles. Never had a handling issue, fail to see the concerns. After all the speed limit is 70 on motorways, which it does no probs,and now’t but a t*** pushes the limits in the country. can’t see why people won’t put their kids in one. Cramped for me at 5,6″ in back with my stiff joints. 37mph mixed open roads and conjested stop start, bit better on a run, 4 years of anal record keeping produced that! Run tyres that a bit more than road spec, I like the original Bridgestones £70 approx, but some people give them away. Good door seals which help in 18″ water although it does get a bit floaty. Firm suspension. Copes well with trailer. About the only Jap 4wd that has high and low box. Low is wonderful down icy roads.
    get one but not a soft top.

geoffj

but not a soft top

That’s what I’m thinking. Too many horror stories of badly fitting / leaking / torn / slashed rag tops.

carlosg
    Free Member

The one I hired in Kos one year didn’t like thick mud too much 😳

The bloke from the hire place liked having to come and rescue me n the wife even less and showed this displeasure by way of replacing it with a Deawoo Matiz

oldgit
    Free Member

Great little vehicles, and they work properly off road as well. Like little mobile tool boxes. Not much space in them though.
    That Lada (I think is good)is it the same as the Cossack as that was great.

allthepies
    Free Member
    CountZero

Oddly enough I’m seriously thinking of replacing my Octavia with one. I don’t really need a big car, most of my driving is local A roads and lanes, often potholed, which has meant replacing two alloys on the Octy. A Jimny with all-weather tyres would be ideal around the lanes of North Wilts. I found a 51 plate Jimny in Bristol a short while ago for £2450, which looked ok.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Whatcar crap. It isn’t slow. It does over 70. It may not be quick but who needs that?
    Cramped yes but not for 2. or kids. position fine. what doesn’t it have?
    Cheap rsiduals a bonus on this sort of thing. You buy cheap and keep it .
    No similar vehicles out there as they don’t have low box or solid axles. . Comparing them to Kuga’s, SX4’s etc is like comparing your 6″ travel mtb to a track bike.
    try one first I would or better still buy a Lada Niva. The Cossack is the “posh ” version. Even better off road, a touch bigger and they last for ever. no one will steal it but you will have the most fanatical owners club ever. faultless for its purpose.

CountZero

What tyres for a Suzuki Jimni? 😉

geoffj

Mattscm you talk sense. My dad had a Niva and loved it.

I’m past the driving quick stage and Mrs J is the definition of a pootler. I don’t take much notice of the whatcar reviews and it doesn’t surprise me that it gets a panning.

I suspect for the money we’ll pay, it will probably hold its value and could be sold without loosing too much on it if we decided it wasn’t for us.

THere is a nice one on Autotrader, but it’s in Bradford – a bit too far to travel at the moment. 😕

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201049375058259/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/model/jimny/make/suzuki/radius/1501/postcode/ph14bd/quicksearch/true/page/1?logcode=p

br
    Free Member

We hire them when on holiday (in Barbados) and they are perfect, but I couldn’t imagine actually driving/owning one in any other circumstance…

And if you are looking at low miles, then buy something bigger – its not like you’ll spend much on fuel.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I rolled a hired Suzuki. I wouldn’t want one for everyday use

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Diahatsu Terios? Little bit more civilised on the road and little bit less capable off.

Got to be cheap ones around as they are not exactly trendy.

CountZero

And if you are looking at low miles, then buy something bigger – its not like you’ll spend much on fuel.

I rather think that being compact is rather the point. I have a big car. It gives me over fifty to the gallon on long runs. I, like the OP, rather fancy something smaller that’s going to be more capable in crappy conditions. Buying bigger defeats the whole intention.
    [edit] read the first para in the OP:

Mrs J wants a smaller car for work, and now that we don’t need to cart around all the paraphernalia you need for small kids, I reckon something like a jimny would be useful.

[/edit]

Inbred456
    Free Member
    TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Niva’s are ace. A mates dad used to export Ladas back home years ago. He had a shonky old Niva that we used to batter round our home made motorcross track in a farmers field. We must have rolled the same one at least 30 times and it just kept going fine. Took a good few goes before all the windows eventually gave up. Survived several front impacts too without the radiator busting, all wheels still ran straight

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I decided we needed a second car mainly just for me to use last May, after lots of looking round decided a Jimny was the best idea. I’ve not regretted it at all, needs roofbars though for all the stuff you can’t fit inside.

CountZero

The kayak might prove handy when all the snow melts…
    Nice little car, that.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

cheers, its not so clean anymore, and there is not much snow here in Perth, Australia…

CountZero

cheers, its not so clean anymore, and there is not much snow here in Perth, Australia…

Ah, but then it’s summer down there. Come the winter, tho’…
    Due to global warming, our winters are supposed to be like the Med.
    It could happen to you.

ivantate
    Free Member

one of the last true offroaders, plenty of accessories and forums out there to support them too. europe gets a diesel version using the renault 1.5dci which would help as its a bit revvy otherwise.

Also look at the terios and pinin. we cant agree, the missus would have a pinin and i would have a jimny.

They are all hated by the press because most mags cant comprehend using the car on anything but their extra urban test route.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Great little cars,
    Drove one almost all the way round Iceland including up onto a glacier and through a foot or so of snow for 50 miles! near akuriyi.

RustyNissanPrairie

Been driving one for a few weeks whilst fixing it for a friend.
    Bear in mind I drive a Defender 110 so inevitably end up comparing it against that which is probably a little unfair.

Good;
    cheap to buy and run
    ok on motorways, does 70mph no problem,
    revvy willing engine
    Surprisingly capable in 4wd in the snow even on road bias tyres

Bad;
    No loadspace, headrests have to be removed before dropping seats, boot space is tiny.

X reg example of my friends is nearly shot rust wise underneath,

Front axle hub swivel’s are non replacable (unlike Landrover), swivel seals leaking grease/water ingress, requires axle swop to fix.

Driving in normal 2wd is dangerous in icy conditions, you cant leave it 4wd all the time as it has no centre diff (like a Defender) unless your on slippy surfaces (mud snow etc) where the transmission cant wind up.

Peaky-torqueless engine coupled with 2wd above=loosing the back end easily.

Bouncy/choppy handling at above 30mph speeds.

Engine takes a long time to warm up.

‘Tinny’ lightweight construction-wouldnt want to crash one at speed.

In summary-cheaper and more reliable than a Defender, I’d class it the current snow conditions as more capable than a FWD car, but less capable than a Defender/Disco/Fourtrack/Patrol/Toy LC etc.
    Okay offroad providing you read the user manual and understand how the transmission works. Useable on road. Requires care driving in icy conditions.

hora
    Free Member

If you live in WYorks/Calderdale/out in the hills I think they are an excellent car.

Anything else – annoying. Fun and cheeky round town but the indicator stalk on the wrong side really did wind me up royally.

A fantastic car but really only fit for us by people who live in harsh weather areas IMO.

Plus it only snows 4 weeks of the year. Better off getting a Ford with decent weather tyres.

hora
    Free Member

Just to add on a even slightly windy motorway even driving at 50mph is ‘interesting’.

RustyNissanPrairie

but the indicator stalk on the wrong side really did wind me up royally.

+10million. bloody annoying.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Suzuki Jimny – whaddya think?’ is closed to new replies.