Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Surprising Grip from Obscure Tyre
  • robgarrioch

I try not to be too obsessed about tyres, but having near total grip loss in the slush with a trailraker, stuck an ancient Kenda on the back for a laugh (a 1.95 that came with my 1st bike in '96 – well, I am a Scot! – only unusual stamp is 'nylon') & the grip is very good, only 'moment' in two 1 & 1/2 hr rides up the Pentlands was panic breaking on sheet ice in Harlaw car-park.

(photostream)
    Don't know if it's the compound or the tyre's age that does it… I'm sure I've seen these on 'cheapo' bikes here & there.

adeward
    Free Member

i think,, that a lot of , tyre performance is down to hype, and folk law

i am currently running the "wrong" tyre for the conditions it's a conti twister semi slick ,, ended up running it as i couldnt be bothered to change it when i changed wheels

the last ride out was realy very muddy and i was the only one on the ride with a rear wheel that still turned,, as the mud wasnt sticking to it, even on the chalky stuff we have here still had more traction than fitness the problem was trying to brake on grassy wet slopes

i used to run 1.5 conti cross country tyres a few years ago and still think these are good,,

does the compound make any difference in muddy conditions?

does tyre pressure make more difference than tread pattern,,

it's like being 10 again trying to get your mum to buy shoes with the best grip and a compass hidden inside

Underhill
    Free Member

Looks like a version of the Kenda Desert that came on my Giant. Glad you're having better luck with it than I did

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mtbtomo
    Free Member

Like Ade says, I wonder how much tyre design is hype…There's only so much you can do with geometric shapes on a tubular carcass, the laws of physics and I doubt that the make up of mud has changed!

Yep, I've been running Small Block Eights in the snow and ice and suffered no more than anyone else I've ridden with.

Just ordered some Velociraptors to see if they were as good as I remember "back in the day"!

ThePinkster

I still use Velociraptors quite regularly (got them on my play bike) and they still seem to work great for me.

julianwilson
    Free Member

i think that a lot of tyre performance is down to hype, and folk law

dunno about bike tyres but i remember reading in the q&a slot in New Scientist once, there was a reply from someone who worked in car tyre design talking about what makes a good car tyre and that all new designs went through marketing people before production as the tread needed to 'look good'. On a car tyre! Lordy! I wonder how many great designs got binned because they looked funny?

chakaping
    Free Member

Velociraptors here too occassionally. The DNA rubber ones are as good as a lot of more fashionable tyres, I think.

bassspine
    Free Member

some of those cheapy tyres are great, the rubber is so soft they grip brilliantly. The only downside is they wear quickly, but at that cheapness you don't worry.
    my personal fave is one branded DELI; they look identical to your photo…

ajantom

Velociraptors are great tyres- have a set on the single speed and a spare set for wet weather on the full sus. Not sure how much they are now, but picked them up for £5 a tyre last year from wiggle.

I also have a set of original a Kona tyres that came on my 1992 Explosif that are still doing sterling work on my girlfriends bike!

brant
    Free Member

does tyre pressure make more difference than tread pattern,,

Go on Ade, tell us about tyre pressure…

Dibbs
    Free Member

The first (1997) Mt Visions came with Velociraptors fitted, I hated them, the bike felt so slow and draggy on the climbs (like riding through treacle), at the time the mags where raving about them (always makes me wonder what the journo's were getting out of it). 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

Last week I went for a ride in the snow and ice with a mate, him with 2.1" Panaracer Fires and me with 2.35" Kenda Small Blocks.

Guess who had a sideways moment first?

*hint* It wasn't me…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not just tyres, everything gets spoiled by product designers once the design engineers have got it working properly! It's why I left my design engineering job.

"can we take this lump off here and smooth that out?"

"we can, but where do you want us to put the motor???"

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Surprising Grip from Obscure Tyre’ is closed to new replies.