Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Superstar or Mavic wheelset, you decide!
  • matty456
    Free Member

Bit of help needed. I am after a new set of wheels, xc and trail centre use, want something that i can service, looking at Superstar or Mavic’s for around £150 mark. Any advice appreciated. Superstar have a few wheelsets around my wallet size, not sure of tthe differences though. cheers.

wwaswas

I imagine you’ll get a better Superstar wheelset for that money.

I’d still buy the Mavic one though ‘cos the bloke who runs Superstar appears to be less than ethical.

Speshpaul

If you are running a std qr on the front i’d put a wanted up for some hope xc’s on 717’s.
    £120-130 should see it done.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks wwaswas, what do you mean about the SStar bloke. Any problems to report?

tops5
    Free Member

and so it begins…………

mrlebowski
    Free Member
    honourablegeorge

wwaswas – Member

the bloke who runs Superstar appears to be less than ethical.

Yep, you should get a set of wheels off Dave Hinde instead

*runs off, laughing*

wwaswas

He has a reputation for dodging warranty claims plus he posted fake reviews on mtbr and used a fake account on here to slag off his competitions products.

tops5
    Free Member

yes but are his wheels any good?

PrinceJohn

Mavic all the way, proven system, replacements available & probably decent warranty support.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks for your input fellas.

tops5
    Free Member

I’ve always found him ok – sorted out my dropper post no quibbles and the other bits I’ve had have been fine. Also sorted out items lost in the post with no drama.

For these reasons I would be genuinely interested to know how the wheels are doing as I may go for these when getting bolt thu forks for the HT

matty456
    Free Member

Are Mavic crossrides any good ? £140 currently at CRC.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Crossrides are ok.Might also be worth looking to see what you could get at Merlin.SLX hubs with Mavic 317s would be the same weight,and have the adavantage of having easily sourced spokes.
    I`ve always found Shimano cup and cone hubs reliable and easy to service too,if you know how to adjust cones………..

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks pips. I’m getting closer to a decision. Can someone explain the clicky rear hub theory. Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i clicks to let you know it’s precision engineering and working!!

For hubs simple rules sealed bearings!

As for superstar I wouldn’t go there again too slow, unresponsive (even when trying to spend money), crap website. Got some wheels, not bad for the money took them over a week to ship stock wheels….

fullauto
    Free Member

I ordered a set of superstars xcx’s at the start of the year. Been fine and it’s nice to have swappable adapters – just done a frame and fork change so was really grateful for that!

As I was replacing the wheels on my 2nd hand mtb, I can’t really compare them in quality to anything else, but still pretty happy with them 🙂

chrisdw
    Free Member

+1 for the On One wheels

I have a pair of them now. All good and really well built. Come with all the adaptors for QR, 15mm, and 20mm

For the strength they are really light as well. I tend to be very hard on wheels and they are still holding up strong.

Plus mine have pimp gold hubs and nipples 😉

bigjim

my superstar build wasn’t the best, the bits are all good, just not put together too well. there were a load of other similair reviews on their site but they all got pulled.

Bagstard
    Free Member

My DH wheels have been good, although the bearings on the front are on their way out. They arrived promptly when I ordered them and I am also considering the xc ones.

matty456
    Free Member

Thanks for your input Singletrackers. I’ll let you know what I get and how I get on.

Cheers.

proberts
    Free Member

I bought some superstar wheels about 6 months ago, they had tightened the spokes up so tight that the nipples were pulling through the rim holes and distorting the rim shape…..when I complained about them and sent them back I had to pay the return postage which was £12, superstar would only compensate me £6.50 postage which I had to send numerous emails to get paid…I found them a pain in the A to deal with and would rather chew my own fingers off that buy from them again…

The nanotech pedals are ok though…

runswithscissors

I’ve got a pair of crosstrails for sale in great nick, looking for £160 quid if you’re interested qr only……

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Superstar or Mavic wheelset, you decide!’ is closed to new replies.