Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • SUPERSTAR COMPONENTS
  • jwmlee
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a few small parts – mostly brake pads. Have been fine.

Very good value. Common to send stuff back first with a receipt for postage enclosed.

Once they can confirm the product is faulty, they refund postage. Think this is covered under the direct selling law.

Ring Consumer Direct if you have doubts about your rights.

mrdestructo

I just bought some organic disc brake pads off them after a mate said they are good for them.

They arrived, the right size and shape and fitted nicely. The package was rather too large though. I was very wary when I cut it open. Sure, it had the obligatory catalogue in there, I guess I was expecting that really. But what I honestly didn’t expect to find was the Haribo sweeties. I quickly stuffed them back in the jiffy bag., if the kids had seen them, then there’d have been a riot. They really ought to give warnings about these sort of things. The resulting high pitching whining noises are bloody awful when you pull a packet of them out into view.

andyl46
    Free Member

My experience:

Freehub not backpedalling
    Stripped it down to grease it
    Freehub cracked
    Looked at returns procedure, emailed Superstar for advice, followed returns procedure.
    New freehub arrived quickly, postage reimbursed into my paypal account, jobs a good un.

So just follow the returns procedure first, then maybe complain on a public forum if it doesn’t go well?

gearfreak
    Free Member

If you don’t want to have to post stuff back when it’s broke, use your local bike shop. They’re a little more expensive, but you get to return stuff easily (actually, in this case you’d see it was bent, and not buy it in the first place.)

If you buy stuff cheap online, one of the pitfalls is that is it arrived shafted you have to return it.

I’m no great fan of superstar, but in this case your rant is well off base.

Houns

Shoddy tat monger

scruff
    Free Member

My Superstar gear has all been fine.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

The wife appeasing Haribos are a genius idea I have to say.

Wife: What the bloody hell have you bought now, you’re always buying stuff, I thought we were supposed to be saving… oh, are those for me? Thanks.

Me: I’m off to the shed to fettle.

The missus: Nom, nom, nom… whatever loser…. nom

swingbing
    Free Member

My superstar stuff

Ti skewers – Same as brand X (found out too late as brand x were cheaper at the time)

Zenith Stem in 70mm length – Fantastic (bikeradar review says its flexy. Rubbish)

Excel Grip – Amazing, everything i want in a bling grip for £12.

Pads – Sintered – So far so good…

Brake adaptor – not much to go wrong there is there? they fit.

Floating rotors – 160mm is fine. 180mm arrived bent. Annoying.

Oh and nano tech flat pedals. Great but don’t seal completely. I should get round to regreasing them soon.

don’t think i’d buy a BB from them tho

munrobiker
    Free Member

They are, without doubt, the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with and I’d strongly discourage anyone from ordering their stuff because it’s awful quality, and when it dies they won’t help you out, simply accuse you of not knowing what you’re doing.

nickf
    Free Member

They are, without doubt, the worst company I’ve ever had to deal with and I’d strongly discourage anyone from ordering their stuff because it’s awful quality, and when it dies they won’t help you out, simply accuse you of not knowing what you’re doing.

Completely agree.

I bought a floating rotor, and at the time thought there might be some clearance issues. No problems, I was assured. I fitted it, and unsurprisingly there were clearance issues.

I went back to their tent (this was at Mountain Mayhem last year), pointed out that the rotor fouled, and asked for my money back. Nope, I was told, there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s entirely fine, and now that it’s been scraped (as you’d expect when there are clearance issues) it’s unsaleable.

Upshot: their contention was that they’d sold me a 185mm rotor, I had a weird setup, it was my problem. Which would be fine, other than the fact that I run a completely normal 456 with a normal Hope hub, on a normal Rockshox Reba fork. Never had clearance issues before, and doubtless if I could be bothered to spend time with a Dremel I could sort this out quickly. But as I have no Dremel or any desire to have a half-arsed, scraped-to-fit item on my bike, I took it off and threw it in my parts box. If I find someone I dislike sufficiently, I’ll give it to them.

Never again though. Not one penny goes to Superstar.

Houns

I would have pitched up outside of their stand and told everyone who wandered past how crap they are

nickf
    Free Member

I would have pitched up outside of their stand and told everyone who wandered past how crap they are

For £15 or whatever it was, I couldn’t be bothered. I was a bit tired and very angry. It wouldn’t have ended well.

Northwind

sparksmcguff – Member

They seem to be like the proverbial Marmite. You either love ’em or not…

Nah. I dislike them somewhat and distrust them, but use them anyway for proven parts.

I’ve had really good service from them at times, but also pretty poor service. I think the words I’d use are inconsistent, and unprofessional. And then add either dishonest or incompetent, I’m not totally sure which. Not a very good combination.

But they sell my favourite brake pads, for less than I can buy pads I like less. And some other good stuff.

bellys
    Free Member

Never had a prob with them.
    Used them for the last 6years.
    Rotors fine, pads ok but don’t last long but for the price good, grips never very good.
    Think you will see more good reviews than bad as there cheap.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Bought loads off them, never had a problem

slimjim78
    Free Member

THEY’RE!

are we going to let ”there’d” go chaps?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Some good bits (grips) some bad (chain cleaner). End of the day the bloke is a business so there to make cash, just a pitty that he is an arrogant nobber as well!

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Guy that owns it is a nob. Haveing met personaly.

samwise
    Free Member

think superstar are like halfords… you wander why you bothered

Junkyard
    Free Member

very mixed brake pads ok for th eprice

Superstar doofer broke comms were less than satisfactory though i could send it back at my expense and they could tell me why I broke it 🙄 they are not getting a penny more of my money as they just blame you when something breaks.

Cheap for a reason I mean the products are not excatly 6 sigma controlled for quality and the customer services is non existent
    Fruit is an amusing charachter..i bet he has posted on this thread somewhere bigging his tat up

jwmlee
    Free Member

The wife appeasing Haribos are a genius idea I have to say.

Wife: What the bloody hell have you bought now, you’re always buying stuff, I thought we were supposed to be saving… oh, are those for me? Thanks.

Me: I’m off to the shed to fettle.

The missus: Nom, nom, nom… whatever loser…. nom

Will try this myself. Thanks for the tip! 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

I fully understand why folk don’t like the guy / don’t like to buy his products but I must admit I still do anyway. The sintered brake pads are brilliant – I’ve been lucky I guess. Bought a huge pile of them when they had an offer on, but still have the same pair in (been over a year now).

Also have a pair of Nano pedals. Their first trip out was Glen Sligichan, out and back. I struck so many rocks, I fully expected them to be done for but well over a year later and they’re still going strong – bit of play in the bearings, but still working.

I do feel a bit dirty any time I buy SS stuff though…

DezB
    Free Member

porter_jamie

My experiences:
    Bought a set of switch wheels – turned up quickly and have been absolutely fine.

Later on bought a 20mm convertor – turned up quickly and no problems.

Eventually the front wheel bearings started rumbling a bit (about the same amount of time a mates hope pro2 did the same, so i was ok with that).
    I rang up and spoke to someone about getting some bearings.
    TBH, the guy could not have been more helpful. He explained he did not sell the bearings, but emailed me a diagram with all the bearing part numbers on so i could get them from my local bearing supplier.

So, to be honest, i don’t have a problem with SS.

RustySpanner

Well well, what a surprise.

Another anti Superstar thread by a new forum user.
    Coincidence, or deliberate stirring by one of the usual suspects?

GavinB

@nickf

What you describe is not unique to Superstar. Hope floating rotors do exactly the same on certain set-ups. I’ve had the same with ProII/Lyrik/XT/Hope floating and Sun Ringle/36 Van/XT/Hope floating.

(btw running a pair of Nano techs and some Mag ti ones for over 3 years now, and give them loads of abuse. All spinning nicely, and if I’m honest, I prefer them to the Straitline JL pedals, which need stripped every few months to keep spinning.)

That reminds me, I must write a HUUUUUGE rant about Straitline sometime… 🙄

WiretownMan
    Free Member

They only refund postage for faulty goods if you do two things:

1) Request a refund on the returns form
    2) Enclose receipt for cost of postage

Number 2) is a bit hard to do.

I asked them to refund postage and they sent me an email stating the above. They still didn’t refund it, which is against the sale of goods act.

Products are OK, good price, company is just let down by pi55ing people off with sub-standard customer service.

samwise
    Free Member

@Rusty spanner

i registered here a little while back and was just so shocked by their responses. i wandered if this was common practice or if i had just caught them on a bad day and been unlucky. id ordered things previously and was pretty happy with what i got for the price. then this happened and i thought id get peoples views on a few forums before writing them of as i could have just been unlucky.

i dont think i will be as what ive gathered is some of the products may be made in the same factories but possible with lower grades of metals etc and definlty with little to no quality control.

The guy who owns it is arrogant

he tends to blame people for the faults in there product even if their brand new

The customer serivce is shocking.

they have no faith or trust in their customers and just seem to want your money.

when i used them in the past everything was great turned up the next day and got free haribo. as soon as their was a problem with a brand new product they just didnt accept any responsibility or feel any sympathy for me. thats what really pissed me off

nealy
    Free Member

^ My advice is never ever have any dealings whatsoever with any of the banks…especially if it involves a mortgage 😉

I’ve ordered pads from SSC on a few occasions and they’ve all been fine. I ordered wheels from them and the delivery date was delayed by a few days but this was communicated to me and they arrived on the revised date, they’ve had 400km on them so far and are still perfectly smooth and true. I ordered a 203mm rotor (non-floating) and brake adapter from them yesterday which arrived today in a jiffy bag, it appears to be perfectly true but any tweaking will be easy with an adjustable spanner and is fairly common with new rotors. The adaptor I ordered was wrong due to me being too stupid to select the right type from the dropdown menu so that has been returned today using their form and the correct one ordered which has already been dispatched.

I really don’t see the problem with them, if it was my business I wouldn’t take the hit on everything at my expense until I was sure the product was at fault.

argyle
    Free Member

rusty spanner IS the neil scarlet pimpernel!

samwise
    Free Member

haha lol banks are easy to deal with compared to superstar

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Can’t fault them. I had some pads fall to bits about four months after I bought them (came off the backing) – sent them an email to let them know really – got a reply saying to send the pads back and they would replace.

If I did that with my LBS I’d get laughed out of the building.

so, follow the returns policy, as per the distance selling rules. then, complain on a public forum if it doesn’t go to plan.

Oh, one more thing. Please, please could you learn to use paragraphs? reading the OP gave me a proper head ache.

matttromans
    Free Member

I bought one of their seat tube mounted chain guides for my 1×9 rigid commuter/pub bike. I’m not normally ham fisted with tightening bolts up, but when I fitted the guide I heard a crack. Sure enough the collar at the hinge mechanism had failed. I emailed Superstar about it, explained what had happened and that I couldn’t be sure if it was me over tightening, or a fault in the product. I sent it back to them for inspection, they sent a new one. Can’t ask for more than that really.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

If I did that with my LBS I’d get laughed out of the building

youre LBS sounds shit

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Well well, what a surprise.

Another anti Superstar thread by a new forum user.
    Coincidence, or deliberate stirring by one of the usual suspects?

**** of neil you’re stuff sucks, and you’re customer serve sucks even worse, if that is possible.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

jumpupanddown – Member
    If I did that with my LBS I’d get laughed out of the building
    youre LBS sounds shit

You’re telling me your bike shop would happily replace a set of pads with 4 months wear in them? Really?

Your local bike shop sounds unusual.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

You’re telling me your bike shop would happily replace a set of pads with 4 months wear in them? Really?

Your local bike shop sounds unusual.

the wear has nothing to do with it, the pads should not come apart.one day some one is going to get really hurt by neils badly made shit.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Well I’ve had shimano and avid pads fall to bits too. shit happens.

All I’m saying is that my experience with SS has been good, and the pads (which I have been using for years now) have been great apart from one set about 3 years ago.

Anyways. This have been done to death.

Kit
    Free Member

As shit as SS are, they’re not a patch on Realman.

kayak23

It used to be that you’d have an issue with a product, you’d take/send it back, they’d sort it out, you’d go about your business.
    These days for some, the first port of call seems to be to slander a company on the internet. Shame.

+1 for no Superstar issues.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘SUPERSTAR COMPONENTS’ is closed to new replies.