Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • superstar components
  • izakimak
    Free Member

i need a new bottom bracket and ave been looking at the superstar compenents, are they any good, anybody have any feed back on them?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

bottom bracket i ordered lasted about 5 rides.

julianwilson
    Free Member

in my experience you are better off spending a couple of quid more getting enduro bearings fitted to your old cups.

jonb
    Free Member

I know people who’ve neen running them successfully for a while through winter.

It’s a bit marmite, some people love them, some hate them. Got a lot of bad press about the brake pad issue which was resolved IIRC and some stuff over on MLEH involving a rock.

If it was my money I’d go for them, but Id ask for a discount cause I know the owner.

I still use some of the kit, headset being going strong for nearly 2 years now.

jfeb
    Free Member

I don’t have a Superstar vendetta but was disappointed my Superstar BB lasted less than 6 months of light use. I didn’t buy another one.

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve used an SSC IRB ISIS BB for over a year & its still smooth (its outlasted every other ISIS BB I’ve tried)
    I not willing to chance thier octopus brake pads though!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

right, after three, everyone run away screaming.

izakimak
    Free Member

the one i’m after is the htII shimano compatible and it’s a choice of this for £20 or going to merlin and paying £37 for an xt one unless anyone has any other offerings.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Even the screaming octopus says go to merlin

iirc the one in themag test actually failed after 2 rides they have aterrible reputation (done to death on here hence the postings)
    I would not fit one if it was given to me
    The brake pads were poor initially but are OK now or mine are so not anti Superstar
    Their customer service is also legendary for just how bad it is.

Drac

Had no problems with their pads so far and certainly not for the price.

snaps
    Free Member

For £20 buy it, try it & when they go, replace the bearings with quality ones (I’ve just found top spec SKF’s for less than £12 a pair)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

where are these top spec skfs for £12?

tazzymtb

I’ve been using one of the BB’s on my singlespeed since last october through months of cannock winter kit eating slop with no problems at all
    (at least 60 miles a week). I’ve also got one of their isis BB’s mated to a midleburn duo set on my xc race bike that’s lasted longer than a crank brothers one.

I think there may be a lot of snobbery and folks believing bad press in magazines and forums, rather than personal experience. I’d go for it…..if you don’t like it, then at least you make future judgements based on experience.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

I bought one of the £20 HT2 BB’s. No sign of play after 18 months. I’m sure some people here must be retarded and fitting them wrong?

snaps
    Free Member

where are these top spec skfs for £12?

In my tool box 😉

I can get big discounts from one of our suppliers at work.

izakimak
    Free Member

i think i might be missing something here, is it possible to just replace the bearings instead of the whole bearing and cup assembly if so do i just need to remove the cups from the frame and remove the bearings from them and then refit new bearings or is it better to get a shop to do it.

jfeb
    Free Member

I’m sure some people here must be retarded and fitting them wrong?

Not sure I am allowed to laugh at that comment (PC filter and all that). Mine seized almost solid after about 3 months. The three other BB’s (all XT)I have fitted have lasted 1 yr+. It is possible I had a “retarded” moment fitting that particular BB though 😉

turnip
    Free Member

Pointless question to ask here, as the regulars are also the same people who hate superstar….

Ask somewhere else and get a better opinion.

markd
    Free Member

turnip – thats like asking a question til you get the answer you want to hear…. surely thats not going to be the right thing to do.

the reason no-one likes the kit is that it plain doesn’t work… i think wherever you asked the same would be true, its not just STW people who have had problems.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

don’t buy ss or shimano, you can’t get spares. go with something like acros or even raceface (not sure if they are a standard bearing) that you can easily get spares for.

turnip
    Free Member

Most people use 6805 bearings which just press in. They dont last long because they are too low a profile bearing and have tiny balls. Hope and enduro make thicker section bearings by getting rid of the top hat bush, which makes the bearings last longer. But when they seize they cut into your axle and write off your cranks, its your choice!

Basically HT11 is the problem, so just change your bearings its easy to do.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Pointless question to ask here, as the regulars are also the same people who hate superstar….

This is the first time I have posted anything less than favourable about SSC. Or anything resembling an octopus.

Their brake pads are fine (errr, well 9 of the 10 so far anyway but i would still buy more) and the aerozine headset i have is well nice! And reliable too. But when you can post your bb cups to betd and get fantastic long lasting bearings (and really good seals) fitted and sent back to you for about £4 more than a new ssc one, i think its a bit of a no-brainer.
    And yes my ssc bb lasted about eight muddy rides cleaned with a bucket and brush, whereas my shimano one lasted two winters. My mate’s lasted 3 muddy rides but he has poor bike hygiene.

trailmonkey

I’ve just spunked out £160 on one of their uppy downy seatposts. Forty minutes into it’s maiden ride and there are huge scores in the anodising. I’m thinking that there should be adequate wiper seals to stop that, so I contact Octopron. I’m told that this is a “known issue” and they’ll warranty it. Errrr if it’s a known issue, why are you selling them ?

I had to make a 60 mile round trip to collect the first post because their muppet courier couldn’t be arsed to find my house – twice. I told Octopron about the problem so who did they send the warranty return out with ? Yes the same couriers. I’ve just had to make the same 60 mile round trip to collect the new post as he couldn’t be arsed to find my house again.

So after spending £160, I’ve managed 40 mins riding, spent £15 on fuel and two hours in the car and £4 in postage sending the shonky goods back. When I phoned Octopron and asked if there was anything they would like to do for their part in treating me like a prize twunt, I was told that there was nothing they could do and the couriers had never been a problem before. See, it was my fault all along. Yes, my fault for buying Octopron. 😈

Time for a swift G&T.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Buy some, fit them correctly and then wash them carefully with a brush and not a jetwash.

The bearings will either collapse or sieze (my first set siezed, the second collapsed) within 2 months and then the lovely people at pooperstar will tell you that it’s your fault because you fitted them wrong and you jet washed them.

A disaster area. Don’t do it. RaceFace ones aren’t a great deal better, Shimano are still the best under £50.

Northwind

Some Superstar stuff is pretty decent, but I won’t touch anything of theirs with a bearing in til I start hearing some good things and stop hearing horror stories. But I’ve used their pads and quick releases no problem, and bought some bits from tibolts which is the same company with a different sticker on it, all fine, and very good service from them too- good communications and fast delivery.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’ve used their pads and headsets. I wouldn’t say I’ve had no problem with the pads, but no issue that I haven’t had with other pads too, and SS sent me replacements for the ones that failed.

I bought more, and will continue to do so.

mefster
    Free Member

I bought a Superstar carbon seatpost for my road bike. On the second ride after fitting it my chain snapped! First time I’ve snapped a chain on a road bike. Must be related…

(As it happens, seatpost is very light, seems well finished (although a little of the lacquer appears to have flaked off where it’s inserted into the frame) and was a real bargain. Looks remarkably similar to the 3T carbon post costing 4 times as much).

trailmonkey

I bought a Superstar carbon seatpost

Now that’s bravery.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The SSC HTII BB on my mountain bike lasted 1.5 rides. I’d have been happier if it had lasted 1 ride, as it collapsed halfway through the 2nd ride. The one on my road bike is still going strong, though I am acutely embarrassed that it’s on there.

Their titanium bolts were very light, but then anything made out of cottage cheese would have been. The customer service (in the broadest sense of the word) that I have received was a touch unpleasant, seemed more about aportioning blame rather than retaining a customer and rather riled me.

But then I’ve said all this before.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Had pads, 1st ones sh** later ones great. Headset still going strong. Lasted better than my Cane Creek one so far and it was 1/3 price. It was cheap one. Bearings look the same, have same number on them and can’t fault it. Got a Shimano HT bb. Original bearings were toss. SS ones were better but the whole system is flamin useless. You can easily get bearing tho from a factors. They are the the same as Shimano so you could just replace those. Just pop them out and ignore the Shimano crap about not serviceing them

druidh
    Free Member

Carbon seatpost is fine. You can find the same ones online for twice the price if it makes you feel any better.

I have a (non-SSC supplied) Aerozine headset on the Ti bike and reckon it’s just about getting near to replacement – that’s about 18 months.

Too many bad stories about their pads and BB/cranksets though.

timwillows
    Free Member

My SSC BB lasted 6 months (I must be lucky) but normally get ~ 2 years out of a Shimano one so not really a good way to save money. pretty colour though

bigyinn
    Free Member

Trailmonkey why you blaming a crap courier on ss? Thats just silly. Fair enough you had issues with the post tho.

My first ht2 bb was a superstar one. Not impressed. Didnt last the winter, but my 2nd hand xt one is still fine. Planning on reusing the cups from the ss one and popping some new bearings in there.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Like snaps I have fitted an SS ISIS BB. Best I’ve had (I realise that isn’t saying much).

trailmonkey

Trailmonkey why you blaming a crap courier on ss? Thats just silly.

Because I told Octopron that there was a problem with the couriers first time around. All they had to do was either use a decent courier or put my phone number(which they had) on the package label and the courier would have had no excuse to claim that he could not find the address.
    If a company claims free p&p then as far as I’m concerned, that’s part of the price you pay for the goods. I’d say that they’ve got a fair amount of responsibility in getting the goods to you. Octopron have a choice who they choose to employ for their courier services. Using a company who have already proven that they can’t deliver is shirking that responsibility

mefster
    Free Member

I bought a Superstar carbon seatpost

Now that’s bravery.

After a few month’s testing on my roadbike, I’ve got a second one waiting to be fitted to my hard tail.

Any carbon fibre splinters up the @rse will be reported!

takisawa2

One of my SS cups has just seized after a wash. Nowt will shift it.
    Its only done about 200 miles.
    It arrived with a missing spacer initially so I couldn’t fit it.
    Don’t think I’ll bother again.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I bought some superstar pads and after ONE ride I got made redundant, the roof on my shed started leaking, the cat got pregnant and the world economy went into recession. I emailed a complaint to superstar and they did nothing what is the world coming to something should be done I will write to my MP

soobalias
    Free Member

buy what you want.

i wont ever buy anything from that company. ever.

its just not worth it.

[/snob]

brakeswithface

Your MP won’t help, he gets Hope BBs on expenses.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘superstar components’ is closed to new replies.