Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Super star pads delaminateing yet again…
  • supersuckpads
    Free Member

Yet again this cheap junk is endangering peoples lives, was just changing a wheel and look what dropped out..

pads no more than 60 days old

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You must have got one of the “dodgy batch”

pjm84
    Free Member

I raced the FOD Enduro in 2008 and had this happen on lap 2. Pads approx 50mins old. I will only use OEM or EBC pads.

pitduck
    Free Member

mine are and have been fine,all i`ve used for the past 2 years or so 🙂

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ting tong pads made from dried grass & uhu !,don’t cut corners on cheap brakes !!,it ain’t worth it lads !

sv

But they are made in the same factory as some of the OEM ones 😉

Out the back, late on a Friday afternoon when the boss isn’t watching, with the stuff that was left over on the floor…

meehaja
    Free Member

you joined just to say that? I’ve used superstar pads since they first started selling them. Always been fine for me. If in doubt, pay full price for oem.

Northwind

Seriously, anything with that level of corrosion’s got no place in a bike, let alone in a brake, can you really be surprised that they failed after you let them get in that condition? You wouldn’t complain if a badly rusted chain snapped.

4ndyB
    Free Member

New member registered today…

Yet again this….

Been on the forum before have we?

druidh
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Seriously, anything with that level of corrosion’s got no place in a bike, can you really be surprised that they failed after you let them get in that condition? You wouldn’t complain if a badly rusted chain snapped.

That really.

I just assumed it was a complete troll.

alexxx
    Free Member

well I’ve never had a problem out of about 30 sets on my downhill bike and living in the alps does hammer them… not sure what to say other than unlucky and why are they so rusty?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

No fan of superstar at all, but the most obvious troll of the week award right there.
    This, basically:

Seriously, anything with that level of corrosion’s got no place in a bike, let alone in a brake, can you really be surprised that they failed after you let them get in that condition? You wouldn’t complain if a badly rusted chain snapped.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Yup. Northwind said it! They look corroded to ****.. How long were they in there then, and how much salty road spray did they get?

And what is the opposite of astroturfing?

I would like to point out that I am in no way affiliated with any shonky pad pedallers.. I’m in the posh pads only camp, after I had some Disco Brakes pads de-laminate too, and they weren’t rusty… By posh, I mean comes on a header carded packet, so you at least know which factory they came from: Ashima, Alligator, EBC, Swiss Stop, etc etc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just to agree with all above:

They’re corroded to ****, they’ve been left wet after many rides and/or kept in a damp shed – not really surprising. I’ve had other manufacturers pads do EXACTLY the same when I’ve abused them. I’ve just changed two CAR pads that did this (though the design of car pads means they can’t fall out completely) after the car was left standing in a damp yard for 3 months.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Do people take their pads out and dry them after they get wet then?!!!

They shouldn’t corroded as no water should get in as they should be bonded and the metal is normally galvanized.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Seriously, anything with that level of corrosion’s got no place in a bike, let alone in a brake, can you really be surprised that they failed after you let them get in that condition? You wouldn’t complain if a badly rusted chain snapped

What? Well, yes, you really should oil your pads to prevent corrosion, just like you do your chain. Or maybe just some WD40 after a ride or when you’ve cleaned it to disperse the worst of the water! :-S

Or maybe the corrosion isn’t rider abuse, but a quality problem, exactly like fourbanger said just above…..

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve had Yamaha pads separate on my motorbike and they were around 50 quid each

these are a few quid and look like they’ve been kept in the canal

get over yourself

fourbanger
    Free Member

thepodge, it shouldn’t have happened to your Yamaha pads and it shouldn’t happen to these.

rOcKeTdOg

Interesting forum name the OP has, almost as if there was some agenda 🙄

stumpy01

Yep rdog, there does seem to be some kind of agenda.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a pad in such a rusty state.

I have no great loyalty to Superstar, but I have bought them for years now & have never had a pair delaminate. I’ll keep buying them while they work well in both fit & application.
    It doesn’t even concern me that much if they do delaminate. I’ve run my pads down to the backing plate during a ride before and could still brake fairly effectively. But I don’t race downhill.

theboatman
    Free Member

I had this happen to a set of Hope pads,perhaps I should only buy cheap pads? I mean with my 29er wheels just exploding, and my carbon parts spontaneously combusting and now all the panthers!!! I should stay at home with my pretentious coffee and take up hand wringing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I blame the cephalopods.

BoardinBob

A quick check of the image info suggests you took that picture on May 25th 2008. Now your date may be set incorrectly in your camera, but I highly doubt it.

marsdenman
    Free Member

A quick check of the image info suggests you took that picture on May 25th 2008. Now your date may be set incorrectly in your camera, but I highly doubt it.

😆 😆 😆

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Good sleuthing Bob!

FuzzyWuzzy

Lol nice one – those look more like something found on a shipwreck then brake pads to me. My current set of ss sintered ones have been in the bike nearly a year now and have no signs of corrosion.

I actually had ss pads delaminate on me donkeys years ago and got the crap excuse that I must have bashed it fitting the wheel but given they were so cheap I gave them another shot and been happy since.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What “dodgy batch” is that, Tandem?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Or maybe some wd40 after a ride

Don’t put oil on ure pads boys FFS !

The best thing to do would be to remove them
    & Let them dry after a good wash,and if you’ve got access to an airline blow the caliper dry !,this is gd maintenance …

A tooth brush or similar is ideal to wash inside ure calipers then do the above !.

Another good tip is to remove them from the mounts & let them dangle in warm soapy water ..

julianwilson
    Free Member

[devil’s advocate] I’ve had a set of superstars do this but also happened on a couple of other budget brands and a ‘proper’ set that had come installed in a brand new £160-an-end brake too. Only once (the expensive brake and proper pads) did it happen when I was actually riding (front brake, at some speed, over rocks, proper sphincter action!) rather than checking/removing/reinstalling wheel though, thank gooodness. I think the common factor being that they all looked dead rusty. I am a bit more fastidious with rinsing out calipers after muddy rides these days and it hasn’t happened for a while to my bike (but mrs j had a pad delaminate last year and she is considerably less good at bike washing 😆 ). Perhaps that is all bad and then good luck though. [/devil’s advocate]

Oh also my camera doesn’t have the right date on it either: most of my photos say they are a couple of years older than they really are.

User name of OP suggests a considerably blunt axe to grind though. What is the opposite of astroturfing?

Stoner
    Free Member

What is the opposite of astroturfing?

Defamation?

Ive had my issues with SSC, about 5 years ago. But now am happy to use their pads. Dont see the point in labouring an issue from a long time ago. Octopron or not.

atlaz
    Free Member

turfing?

crazy paving?

Maybe STW gets to coin a new term.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I like ‘crazy paving’. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why is Midge Ure involved all of a sudden? What’s wrong with his pads?

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’ve had two pairs now that have dropped their pads. The corrosion on my backplates wasn’t nearly as bad as those pictured however there was rust forming from under the pads which I’d think would be moisture being present when the pads were bonded. A bit disconcerting but really that’s 2 pairs in 3-4 years. My cars fail more often.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

the quality of trolling these days is shocking

yunki
    Free Member

is this like the ‘chainsuck’ problem threads..?

OP.. when fitting your wheel, do you repeatedly and clumsily jab away at it.. unsure as to why it won’t seat in the caliper smoothly and immediately as you force it into place..?

what’s that..?
    you do..?

aaahh

EDIT: also just seen the date on the photo 🙄

atlaz
    Free Member

OP.. when fitting your wheel, do you repeatedly and clumsily jab away at it.. unsure as to why it won’t seat in the caliper smoothly and immediately as you force it into place..?

That’s basically what did for these pads…

igm

Time to have the thread deleted?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Atlaz- those pads still have at least 9 months in them.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem as the OP, except it’s spread to my whole bike. The whole thing was brand new two days ago.

I can’t beleive the “shocking quality” of these pads. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Super star pads delaminateing yet again…’ is closed to new replies.