Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,496 total)
  • summer rugby
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Warburton out, hamstring tear. Edit hadn’t seen wreckers post!

wrecker
    Free Member

Q & A with Adam;

Q: What’s the strangest tactic someone’s tried on you in a scrum? (from paulj)

A: About 10 years ago I was playing up at Leicester with Neath. Basically I wasn’t the svelte, ripped specimen of a man I am now. Every time we had a scrum in front of the main stand, their loose-head, a guy called Derek Jelley, would lift my shirt up, exposing my stomach to the whole crowd. I swear I could hear the chuckles from him and them. It was slightly embarrassing.

😀

Tom-B
    Free Member

😆

ijs445ra
    Free Member

For me O’Brien has to start, as does Corbisero if fit, Grey in the 2nd row in place of Parling, Roberts in at 12 and Tuilagi on the bench.

Albanach
    Free Member

Different people but Tom Smith only had 3 caps for Scotland before the Lions tour in 97 and he was the test prop for all 3 games…as I said different people and different tour…

wrecker
    Free Member

Interesting article from someone who knows more about scrummaging than any of us lot;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/britishandirishlionsrugby/10151333/Lions-2013-No-winners-in-this-scrum-lottery.html

As i said earlier, I don’t think the scrum was well refereed. Mako should have seen what was being permitted a bit earlier and employed his own skullduggery. As I said, he’s a little naive.

An eye-opening comment (if it’s true);

Apart from making as many yards as both wingers combined, making the most tackles, beating the most defenders, getting more turnovers than any of the flankers, winning a couple of penalties in the scrum and playing for 80 minutes, Mako didn’t do much.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Just to add a bit more context to the part about metres carried. As i posted earlier aside from Sexton at 40+m, Sean O’Brien made the most metres with 17, and he was only on for the last 16 minutes.

So Vunipola made less than 17m and the wingers combined less again.

Highlights how little ball North and Bowe got and how much of a struggle it was to get over the gainline in general, hopefully it shows Gatland of the need for a Roberts/Tualigi in the backline and OBrien starting in the backrow.

EDIT: regarding the naive scrumaging from Vunipola i think that is where O’Connell was really missed, an experienced player to have a quiet word with him and try and sort it earlier on.

duckman

Thing is he had two more experienced front rows with him esp Jones who l am sure would have known exactly what the Aussies were up to. Mentioning tom smith; he was schooled at Dundee high rugby clip by danny Herrington,who played Scotland b despite being a 13 Stone loose or tight head.a 5″9″ stonemason who never set foot in a gym in his life.Smith went to watsonians then england but left Dundee as he couldn’t shift danny. I was playing behind Herrington when watsons came back to Dundee. 1st scrum, smith dropped his bind and tore the pocket off Danny’s shirts 😀 on trying to return the favour,danny discovered tom had sewn the pocket up! Front rows…not really normal,are they?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Maybe that is the answer to scum problems, get pockets back on shirts!

anagallis_arvensis

An eye-opening comment (if it’s true);
    Apart from making as many yards as both wingers combined, making the most tackles, beating the most defenders, getting more turnovers than any of the flankers, winning a couple of penalties in the scrum and playing for 80 minutes, Mako didn’t do much.

its not true though it also doesnt mention points given away!

wrecker
    Free Member

The Brian Moore article does. (Genuine question) Which of those stats are wrong? Did the contributor make it up?

dannyh
    Free Member

Nice to see a referee get (most) of the scrum decisions correct.

Vunipola turned it around brilliantly, but Joubert still pinged him when he turned in.

Big respect to Adam Jones, though – he helped turn the scrummaging situation around and was immense. One aerial shot showed him just smashing Moore and the loosehead apart like a nail splitting a plank of wood!

loum
    Free Member

Hibbard came on to shore him up; what sort of a sub is that to have to make? Subs should be ideally made to gain a tactical advantage,that was to address a weakness.

I’m baffled by this to.
    I’m not commenting on the abilities of Mako or Grant, personally I rate them both, but surely the substitution to make here is Grant for Mako.
    I can only see that he really doesn’t want Grant on the pitch, or he was carrying a secret injury. Either way, he shouldn’t really be there then, and it’s a wasted bench spot.
    Have to wonder about your shirt-sales tokenism theory?
    No fan of G****** and the way he’s treated some of the other players, but have to agree that Gray, Hogg and Grant have all had the shittiest end of the stick. Don’t include Maitland as G****** knows him from back home.

Albanach – Member
    Different people but Tom Smith only had 3 caps for Scotland before the Lions tour in 97 and he was the test prop for all 3 games…as I said different people and different tour…

forgot about that. Good point.

wrecker,
    Whilst BM has the experience, he’s also got a massive agenda against current scrum laws.
    He’s been banging the same drum every week, using whatever selection of “facts” to back up his own beef with them.
    Not saying he’s wrong, but he’s far from a balanced analyst.
    It’s never a look at the data, then some conclusions based on it. It’s “The scrums aren’t like they used to be – this week because of blah, blah, blah…”

Feel bad for the bloke, he’s just started to hit some form. What do we reckon for 7, SOB or Tips?

Both, at 6 & 7.
    Get some attacks going and try and cross the gain-line a bit more.
    Tuilagi to start at 12 too, with Roberts to come on later when they’re softened up a bit.
    Probably need to keep BOD out there now having lost two captains, otherwise I’d reckon Roberts 12, Manu 13 from the off. 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Whilst BM has the experience, he’s also got a massive agenda against current scrum laws.

Fair one, but at least he has referenced Wallace and Flatman as sharing the same view on this occasion.

Both, at 6 & 7.

That’s exactly what I’d do. Heaslip at 8. Gray to start.

Tuilagi to start at 12 too, with Roberts to come on later when they’re softened up a bit.

I’d go the other way. Imagine being run at by Roberts for 60 minutes, feeling the relief seeing his number on the board and then looking at Manu smiling at you…… 😯

As for capt, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Adam.

loum
    Free Member

Corbs
    Youngs
    Jones
    Gray
    AW Jones
    SOB
    Tipuric
    Faletau
    Murray
    Sexton
    North
    Tuilagi
    BOD
    Bowe
    Halfpee

Mako
    Hubbard
    Cole
    Lydiate
    Youngs
    Roberts
    JDavies
    Zebo

Bit harsh on Heaslip who , IMO, would be one of the few Lions to make a Combined team from the first 2 tests. Mowen and Hooper have been brilliant, IMO, but Jamie’s been better than their 8.
    But, their back row’s on top overall, and we need SOB and Tipuric to put them on the back foot, So faletau’s in for a bit more grunt. won’t let anyone down. Not quite as much need for JH’s carries in a side with SOB and manu/JR on the charge. And We haven’t got a hooker who can throw past second jumper, so not as critical at LO either.

Harsh on Grant and Farrell too, but if they’re not thought highly enough of to get some minutes so far, might as well have someone else.
    Lydiate to cover 5 and 6 giving room for a bit more variety in the backs.
    Zebo covers 11, 14, 15 (or switch Bowe) ; JR &JD 10,12,13.
    JS back up kicker to LH

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Good team Loum, but you have unfortunately forgot Gatlands first rule of team selection, minimum 60% Welsh in starting XV 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Vunipola didnt win the scrum pens even if it was there tighthead going down. The scrum turnaround started with adam and then cole who blitzed their scrum. The pressure all ends on the aussie tighthead. Vunipola was pretty much a passenger in all this.

Ioum no ten cover you really need to lay down that crack pipe.

wrecker
    Free Member

JR &JD 10

😯 Sorry Loum but in the deciding Lions test? no thanks!

loum
    Free Member

Farrel for JD then , easy.

you really need to lay down that crack pipe.

It’s your mum’s. 😉 🙂

unfortunately forgot Gatlands first rule of team selection, minimum 60% Welsh in starting XV

Unfortunately true. Worst thing to happen to the Lion’s since Woodward. But probably even worse.
    Undone all the good work of Geech in repairing 2005’s eff-up.
    Divisive, pigheaded, antagonistic A-hole.
    And this on what should be the easiest and most laid back of the three tours.
    turns Ozzies against us, even turns fellow Brits.
    Turns a 4 yearly celebration of rugby into a “win at all costs Or future tours are jeapodised” showdowns.
    Even the IRB , with Horwill, have had to get involved to help Lions victory, and keep the tours on.
    Should not be allowed back to these Isles. 😉 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Can I borrow it? 😀

anagallis_arvensis

My mum called and said you can keep the pipe you need it more than her!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Arriving late to the Mako scrummage debate, as any good prop should 😀

Look at his hips on engagement, that sounds rude, anyway ever since my first day at prop school aged eleven and being a bit rounder than others in the class one of the first lessons was keep your hips at least level with your shoulders if not lower so that you are pushing up into the loose heads chest. This is simple stuff and is nothing to do with how the ozzies are scrumming. It’s just setting up properly for the hit.

I reckon Gats will go tips then SOB after 60 or so. Would love to see Manu get a start but don’t think it will happen.

duckman

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    My mum called and said you can keep the pipe you need it more than her!

POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Why? Is your Mum getting enough pipe? (SORRY,I know infantile,childish etc;but we are on Holiday…and I’m off up to Skye tmw with 3 drinking climbing buddies for a couple of days of hills as Mrs D still has the rest of the week to go. Do you think getting home Sat pm and dumping a rucksack full of muddy stinking clothes by the washing machine,dropping into a chair with a beer and watching the taped game might be kicking the arse out of it?

wrecker
    Free Member

getting home Sat pm and dumping a rucksack full of muddy stinking clothes by the washing machine,dropping into a chair with a beer and watching the taped game

Must be accompanied by the phrase “BEER ME!”
    Have a good time duckman 😀

zokes
    Free Member
    loum
    Free Member

“There was sufficient evidence upon which a reasonable judicial officer could have reached the decision,” said independent appeal officer Graeme Mew.

“Accordingly it could not be said that the judicial officer was manifestly wrong or that the interests of justice otherwise required his decision be overturned.”

Justice.

Tom-B
    Free Member

**** me Horwill cleared!!

Cockerill has been banned for nine games for acting like a wendyballer during the final though!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Farce. What next, AWJ to be cited for head butting Horwills studs?

zokes
    Free Member

Justice.

I’m assuming that was sarcastic…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An utter, utter farce. There’s no way that was anything OTHER than a deliberate stamp on the face. Not impressed at all.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

1st Lions kick off straight to Horwill, swiftly followed by 8 large men walking off balance over the top?

Kryton57

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    An utter, utter farce. There’s no way that was anything OTHER than a deliberate stamp on the face. Not impressed at all.

Agreed.

ijs445ra – Member
    1st Lions kick off straight to Horwill, swiftly followed by 8 large men walking off balance over the top?

Obviously 8 citings followed by bans……

wrecker
    Free Member

Shame that Healy and Hartley aren’t there in a way. Would have been right up their alley. Can they call up Mongo or Grewcock for a “special” mission?
    EDIT; Even better, JIM HAMILTON 😀

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Nathan Hines is always good for a bit of on pitch enforcement as well.

Unfortunately both Hines and Hamilton are Scottish and would therefore be restricted to throwing Lions training kit/mascot from the bench in attempted retribution. 🙂

ocrider

EDIT; Even better, JIM HAMILTON

Can’t wait to see what happens with him at Montpellier this season. The two old second row card-magnets; Privat and Martin have left and Gorgodze is starting to mellow with age. 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

I like Jim Hamilton. He’s a proper second row.
    I’d have toured him ahead of Parling, possibly Evans too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Shame that Healy and Hartley aren’t there in a way. Would have been right up their alley. Can they call up Mongo or Grewcock for a “special” mission?
    EDIT; Even better, JIM HAMILTON

😆

MONGO SMASH!

wrecker
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exd7nqV5-cE

Some big Jim magic at 0;17 and 1;04. He has no filter at all, has he?

ocrider

Yep. He’ll fit in nicely in the Top14!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,496 total)

The topic ‘summer rugby’ is closed to new replies.