Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 1,496 total)
  • summer rugby
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

What’s the story with Bradley Davies then a_a is he still injured? He’s my early tip as captain of the next tour.

colonelwax
    Free Member

OK serious question, have any of the anti-Gatland lot changed their minds about him? Can’t argue with his success.

As a Welsh fan, the build up to yesterdays match reminded me of the last 6N game, opposition were favourites, ended up with a bit of a drubbing.

So is he some kind of mastermind at firing up teams for the big games, inspiring them to play at another level? Simple tactics that work with the players he’s got? Something else?

zokes
    Free Member

OK serious question, have any of the anti-Gatland lot changed their minds about him?

In that for the first two tests, he tried to play the much criticised English tactics, only with mostly Welsh players and less effect, no.

In that for the final test, he played a much more aggressive Welsh game plan, with much more effective results, yes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

What’s the story with Bradley Davies then a_a is he still injured?

after being concussed by some cheating kiwi in November he injured an ankle before the six nations, played a few games at the end of the season and captained the side in Japan.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah didn’t realise that he was captain in the Japan tour (not exactly a dream run out as captain!)

Be nice for him to go and get even with AB’s wouldn’t it!

colonelwax
    Free Member

Fair enough Zokes, suppose also it’s easy to feel a little bit smug that he proved a few people wrong (not aimed at anyone on here BTW)as they won. Could’ve been quite different.

Anyway, who cares, Lions test series win isn’t too shabby is it.

zokes
    Free Member

Anyway, who cares, Lions test series win isn’t too shabby is it.

Abso-bloody-lutely

anagallis_arvensis

In that for the first two tests, he tried to play the much criticised English tactics, only with mostly Welsh players and less effect, no.

what are these much criticised england tactics? Looked to me like the lions played pure Gatlandball all tour

uwe-r
    Free Member

I don’t think gatland got much wrong all tour. It’s easy to forget we moved in to decent leads in both games, the difference was in the first two they clamed up and started looking at the clock! I have no doubt the theme of the last week would have been don’t let up, keep hitting them, make them defend and go to the end scoring points. Not much gatland can do about the way the games shifted in the last 20 mins, you have to look at the players. Problem was resoundingly addressed in the last game! Hurrah!

bruk

Was away in Lake District with friends and opted for a walk and picnic with the kids rather than watch the game. Could not face hitting the pub at 11am after staying up too late the night before.

Well done boys! I didn’t believe the team selection was ideal but then that shows what us armchair enthusiasts know.

I am glad a busy week meant I didn’t get to the bookies as it sounds like the power plan finally clicked and the team performed. Look forward to watching it on you tube tonight. Very happy for the squad. Now looking forward to the autumn internationals and the 6N after that.

Scamper
    Free Member

See them all looking a little unsteady getting on the team bus, which I believe was the morning.

Hogg in just his red underpants and halfpenny late for the bus and seemed incapable of locating the door.

anagallis_arvensis

Adam, “Will you stop that **** running about!”

jambalaya
    Free Member

@a_a another priceless GIF. Not sure what happened to Hibbard, his legs had gone and he did nothing to break his fall as would be natural. One of the other forwards checked on him right away and Hibbard must have said he was fine as he played on. We cannot pick the next Lions tourists now who knows who’ll be in form.

In the interests of fairness yes, but I’m not confident of beating England at Twickenham.

Home advantage will be significant as it was for Wales this season. I think it’s set up nicely as I fancy England to win away in Paris and Rome and Scotland and they have Ireland and Wales at home, it’s the easier schedule.

jambalaya
    Free Member

When do they do IRB player of the year, Halfpenny must be looking good for that.

Slight aside, story in the Guardian that Halfpenny was sinning a One Direction song in the hotel on Sunday morning, I’m sure he was still drunk but that’s no excuse

BlindMelon
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oi, you! Yes, you, Stampy Horwill! See this cup? Hahahahahahaha! 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Two match turning moments!

anagallis_arvensis

anagallis_arvensis

a hero in the making

Kryton57

Re “Stampy” Horwill.

Yep, that’ll stick, Stampy Horwill he ever shall be…

DanW
    Free Member

What is the feeling on Horwill’s captaincy future in Aus? Giving up so many kickable penalties in search of a try so early in the game is not usually a good recipe for success in international rugby and it really kept the Lions in the game

jambalaya
    Free Member

@DanW I think he mad very poor decisions re the early penalties, came accross as desperate rather than bold. The new coach is his club captain so I think he’ll remaining Horwill had a lot of support in Australia over the stamping incident

zokes
    Free Member

Horwill had a lot of support in Australia over the stamping incident

In the media, yes.

But pretty much anyone who I spoke to here thought he should have been banned.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Best of all is the Welshman doing sports coverage on ABC breakfast, trying to say how he was clearly innocent of everything…

A great series (even if I did spend the first half of the 3rd in the air), considering the Lions were big favoutites going into game 1 it kept everything going till the end.

On the question of next series – as some of the key players were not first choice I’d wait until it comes around and see who is fit.

anagallis_arvensis

A great series (even if I did spend the first half of the 3rd in the air), considering the Lions were big favoutites going into game 1 it kept everything going till the end.

were they? Thats not what the bookies thought.

zokes
    Free Member

Just printed out my boarding pass for a Qantas flight to Perth tomorrow. I notice an advert on it to “Meet the lion tamers

I think Qantas need to update their advertising material

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

zokes
    Free Member

They should have gone one better and actually used wallaby meat 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Here’s what Gatland has to say to Ioum

what do we do now its over?

anagallis_arvensis

I’m sure Adam Jones’ night was very similar Sam 😉

We went back to the Sydney Opera House after the official function, and then went on to a nightclub. I rarely eat McDonald’s but I treated myself to one on Saturday night. It is the first one I have had in six months and was bought for me by a fan who refused to let me pay. I had a Big Mac, a cheeseburger and chips and it did not even touch the sides. If there was one night I deserved a treat it was this one.

I am not a big drinker but I did have a few vodka and cranberry juices. I only drink about twice a year, normally after a Six Nations campaign. I choose not to drink because I know it is not the best thing for me and I also do not like the taste or smell of beer. Vodka and cranberry is about the only thing I can drink, and I think that is only because I know there are probably some antioxidants in the juice!

zokes
    Free Member

….and I also do not like the taste or smell of beer.

Does

Not

Compute

uwe-r
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like a cranberry juice drinker does he!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not sure I like the look of the new cushions in Qantas business class.

(nice detail on the antimacassars, though! Oh, and no one should ever wear those horrid Qantas PJs! FFS, don’t you know you keep them and use them as bike cleaning rags?)

loum
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    I’m also wondering where Ioum is now? His hatred of Gatland might have tipped him over the edge.

Sydney 😉

Not hatred. But he’s still no Geech.
    Too antagonistic, and was always a poor fit for the Lions – Fights too many battles in the media; Always squabbling with someone; makes more enemies than friends.
    He put the Lions reputation and future on the line.
    The players secured it with the win, in spite of him rather than because, but it’s a situation that should never have occurred.
    Can see what he’s trying to do in creating a sort of siege mentality, and how it might work for a small provincial team mentality, but it’s the opposite of the inclusiveness that a Lions tour is all about.

Anyway, enough about that. Players did brilliant in the end.
    Halfpee is world class and fully deserved MOS. Gets better every season too. Rest of the backs were good too, but it was the pack that really set the tone. Parling and AWJ both played the best I’ve seen them play. All the front row were immense. But thought Corbs was even better and probably deserved MOM. And the back row was superb, best performance of the tour as a unit, led by SOB showing how 7 should be played.

So G****** get’s the win on his record.
    But it’s thanks to a flanker he didn’t want to pick, and a prop he didn’t even want to tour. Wales can have him back, thanks.
    Lancaster for me next time. With Shaun Edwards. Possibly against G****** too.

Other Summer Rugby “news” 😉

Aviva Premiership – Henson ‘knocked out cold by own team-mate in pub’

The club is investigating the incident which happened in a local pub on Wednesday night, according to the Bath Chronicle.
    Eye-witnesses told the paper of “disgusting” scenes and said that Henson was punched after being told to “calm down” by players.
    The player who punched him was unnamed.
    The police were called after a complaint about “aggressive behaviour” in the pub but did not go to the premises as the Bath group left the pub while the call was being taken.
    A witness told the Chronicle that Henson “went out like a light for about five minutes.”
    “He just lay there like a lump, right on the floor.”
    Henson only joined Bath last month following London Welsh’s relegation from the Aviva Premiership.

wrecker
    Free Member

Banged out cold by Carl Fearns apparently.

tinybits
    Free Member

Brilliant.

I’ll have a quick chat to a couple of mates who will be in the know and find out who I have to buy a beer for!

wrecker
    Free Member

Apologies for the source;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2361782/Gavin-Henson-knocked-new-Bath-team-mate-night-out.html

Can anyone embed the vid? Not that any of us will enjoy watching it……much

tinybits
    Free Member

Seems it was him, in the Pig and Fiddle, complete with grainy phone vid of the event.

tinybits
    Free Member

wrecker, you’re ahead of me!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 1,496 total)

The topic ‘summer rugby’ is closed to new replies.