• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • STW Panasonic camera buffs (G1 GF1)
  • oxnop
    Free Member

I currently have a G1 with the kit lens, I bought it about a year ago to replace my ‘full size’ DSLR as i thought the size would mean id use it more (which i don’t).

Whilst the kit lens is ok i’d quite like a nice prime and something a bit longer.

So, i’ve read on here about people using an adaptor that allows you to fit other brands lenses and more importantly older lenses that you can pick up quite cheap.

Id be interested to know your opinions on which type to get (olympus / lecia / canon FD etc) and what experience you have had.

Also, there is quite a range of adaptors on ebay – If anyone can recommend a particular brand or shop to purchase from then that would be great.

Thanks

oxnop
    Free Member

Someone must have gone down this road?

olympus
    Free Member

IIRC panasonic and Olympus use the same 4/3s and m4/3s mount. You have a panasonic m4/3s, so if you get a m4/3 to 4/3 then an Olympus OM to 4/3s mount you can put Olympus OM lenses on. Someone might make OM to m4/3s that would be ideal. Have a look on eBay, and a 50mm f1.8 is what you want, they’re about £15. You don’t need expensive mounts with contacts as the old lenses won’t autofocus anyway.

Conqueror
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about getting the hexanon 50mm f1.7 and adapter to fit it (20 quid or something on ebay) but i’m now thinking it might be more of a novelty thing and some new [native] lenses have just come out that look interesting

You won’t get IS using a Panasonic body and a legacy lens… which may deter you from buying a legacy zoom

There’s a few native primes out now though off top of ‘ed:

Panasonic 20mm f1.7
    Panasonic 25mm f1.4 Leica D Summilux
    Panasonic 14mm f2.5 Lumix G
    Olympus 12mm f2
    Olympus 45mm f1.8
    Olympus 17mm f2.8
    Cosina Voightlander 25mm f0.95 (this costs a few bob)

A lot of people consider the 20mm to be a no brainer and almost a certain buy

May have missed one theres also fixed focal length 8mm Pana fisheye and 45mm Pana macro

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up – Ive seen a 50mm 1.8 on ebay with the lumix adaptor so ill prob just get that. Im presuming that it would end up giving me 2x so 100mm in reality?

molgrips
    Free Member

I got a Sigma 30mm f1.4 in 4/3 size recently for something like £180 from USA eBay, it’s.. well.. mixed… I reckon the Oly 17mm f2.8 would be a good bet (it’s what I’d have gone for if I had m4/3), but there are *slight* interoperability niggles between the two brands although I think they are trying to work them out. There are often firmware upgrades for the Oly lenses that offer better functionality with Panny bodies.

Bear in mind that a 50mm Olympus OM prime will be 100mm on your camera which is a weird length to have for a prime.

finishthat
    Free Member

I have a G1 and GF1, I got a cheap 4/3 Nikon adaptor and it works well with these bodies – I already had a bunch of Nikon prime lenses 20,28,50,55macro, 180, and some zooms as well.

You have to tell the camera to operate with no lens , you can use the digital zoom for critical focus – left button , then center.

If you are looking for a prime and a bit longer , factor in the 2x
    and you have a a lot of choice.
    You do have to choose a mount to buy , any of the big names and the prime lenses are sought after , so maybe try Pentax, as there are a lot of compatibles , Ricoh for example , or perhaps choose M42 for the ultimate choice in cheap lenses.

Results wise – it works , it is a bit of fun and makes you more involved in what you are doing .

I refuse to pay the silly price for the pana 20mm1.7 it is not even stabilised , though it is very compact and would be great on my GF1.

Maybe ask around people you know to see if anybody has an old 35mm SLR going free and go for whatever mount that is?

oxnop
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies.

I’m going to do what finishthat suggests and get hold of a full slr kit on the cheap and get an adaptor to fit.

DrJ

@finishthat – where did you get your Nikon adaptor? Are you happy with it? I’ve read some horror stories of some cheap adaptors being very hard to remove from the camera/lens, so while I’m keen to use my Nikon lenses on the G1/2, I don’t want to do it at the risk of buggering them up!

finishthat
    Free Member

got Nikon adaptor from ebay seller 2003benben

its branded kiwi fotos 20 quid seems fine

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Have a classified up for the panasonic GF1 with 14mm and 20mm, along with 14-45, was wanting to sell as package but open to offers.

Bez

You can get an adapter for just about anything; I have an M39 and a PK, both cheap Hong Kong ones from eBay (not much to them to be screwed up; one is just a lump of metal and the other just a lump with a sprung pin). Yes, you’ll obviously get the x2 crop, and no IS. IMHO that makes long lenses fairly unusable on the GF1 – trying to focus and hold the camera steady without resting it against your eye is pretty hard work at 50mm and I’d be inclined to forget it at anything longer. The G1 would be rather better suited.

For cheap – and in some cases rather good – lenses the M42 mount probably opens up the biggest range of bargains. EF and PK are decent alternatives with good lenses for low prices.

Personally I haven’t used the adapters in god knows how long – it’s extremely rare the 20mm leaves the camera. YMMV.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘STW Panasonic camera buffs (G1 GF1)’ is closed to new replies.