Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • STW Medical Staff – Running With Cold Query.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Head cold with bunged up nose/head.

Slight gravelling cough, but not coughing anything up or wheezing.

Bit achey, but that might be the Vodka from last night…

Ok to go running?

jam-bo

What do you think you’ll gain from it?

Jamie
    Free Member

A respite from my relatives.

…but I see what you’re getting at.

chiefgrooveguru

My understanding was neck up is fine, neck down is bad.

jam-bo

A respite from my relatives.

That’s different.

Put running gear on.
    Run to end of road.
    Amble to coffee shop
    Run back from end of road an hour later saying what a bad idea it was and you’ve just walked the last couple of miles home

antigee

not a medical person and usually one to mftu but a few years ago a friend who was a keen fell runner pushed hard with a cold and ended up on life support – ok in end but it is possible to set off some sort of heart overload – see i said not medical so no detail – be careful

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Not a medical professional by any means but cycling club wisdom says (as above): above the neck, base work only, no hard efforts; below the neck, don’t train at all.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

+1 on the neck threshold advice

zilog6128

I agree with jam bo, you need to consider your goals. Increase fitness? don’t bother. Escape from in-laws/enjoy scenery? Go for it but take it easy.

mrmo
    Free Member

worst case scenario is death, listen to your body, if you feel like crap don’t push it

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I do know someone who went for a run with a cold and ended up with an enlarged heart that ended up killing him. A cold is trivial mostly; it’s also a virus and can turn nasty.

It’s not worth it; just rest.

nemtbroutes
    Free Member

The old adage is that if the symptoms are above the neck then training should be possible but at an easy pace. Symptoms below the neck including chest issues and aches are a sure sign to rest otherwise you’ll simply weaken your immune system further and prolong your illness.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I wouldnt to be honest – I have had pvfs/cfs in the past prob from doing too much when ill with a virus – it wasnt fun being off the bike for like 6mths feeling wasted…

go watch a film or something….

paul

Drac

Just go to the pub.

Jamie
    Free Member

Right, I’m back.

As advised, I took it easy and went at a relaxed pace, mostly due to traversing floods, and only did 8miles instead of the usual 10+.

So far I:

1. Am not dead.

2. Not sure if I feel worse or better.

3. My familicide urges have faded to a legal level.

4. The cold is probably a mute point now, as I think it will be Badger Aids which will finish me off…

5. Wish I hadn’t just read this:

I wouldnt to be honest – I have had pvfs/cfs in the past prob from doing too much when ill with a virus – it wasnt fun being off the bike for like 6mths feeling wasted…

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

What happened to your leg buddy? 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

Something wrapped round it while running through the woods, thorn branch or something, so when I moved off it essentially garrotted my ankle.

Stings a bit this morning.

globalti
    Free Member

Laces are a bit slack.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if your nose is running then why shouldn’t the rest of your body? you know the phrase follow your nose….

Jamie
    Free Member

What happened to your leg buddy?

Doesn’t look too bad this morning, though:

if your nose is running then why shouldn’t the rest of your body?

It’s not running, Phillip. More packed tight snot cement.

Laces are a bit slack.

It’s how I roll. Also, after a soaking the previous day, I had taken my insoles out to aid drying. I then forgot to put them back in, so shoes were a bit roomy and couldn’t cinch ’em up as tight as usual.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘STW Medical Staff – Running With Cold Query.’ is closed to new replies.