Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • STW doctors and hypochondriacs
  • jools182
    Free Member

Had an aching in my chest and back that started friday

On saturday I went to hospital to get it checked. They did about 4 ecg’s, 2 lots of blood and a chest x-ray, all ok

I still have this aching and little painful twinges all over my ribs, both in the chest and back. It doesn’t hurt when I breathe deeply, but the best way to describe it is it feels like a chest infection, even though I’m not really snotty or anything. I have a slight sore throat.

I just went downstairs, opened a door and got twinges in my back and on the same side of my chest as the arm i used to open the door

Even now I’m getting little twinges, and i feel like i need to cough

any ideas?

highclimber
    Free Member

indigestion. take a zantac and stop whining

wwaswas

any ideas?

GP visit – A&E have determined it’s probably not immediately life threatening so next stop is something a bit more holistic.

Woody
    Free Member

Sounds as though it may be pleuritic.

As ^^ see GP.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“On saturday I went to hospital to get it checked. They did about 4 ecg’s, 2 lots of blood and a chest x-ray, all ok”

You should have gone to out of hours GP !

jools182
    Free Member

I probably wasn’t thinking rationally when thinking i may be about to keel over

totalshell

hey you’ve/ they ruled out all the ugly stuff and that leaves you with ( excuse spelling) musclular/ skeletal issues.. live with it, sometimes stuff doesnt work right..

jools182
    Free Member

I’ll go and see the gp today if I can get in

Woody
    Free Member

You should have gone to out of hours GP !

Do you think that A+E did all the tests to to keep themselves occupied?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Intercostal muscle strain or inflammation maybe.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No, but if some one goes in saying chest pains, wouldn’t they be negligent if they didnt?

dr_death
    Free Member

The out of hours GP would most likely have sent them to see either me (in A&E) or the chest pain assessment sister who lives very close to A&E…. Usually via an ambulance.

Thus I think going straight to A&E with chest pain was probably a sensible call.

(A lot of out of hours GPs don’t have ECG machines and they certainly can’t request blood tests were they get the results that evening. An out of hours GP may have been happy it was nowt without any sort of investigations but I suspect not many are going to risk it.)

dr_death
    Free Member

p.s. sounds most likely a pleuritic type of chest infection; which like most others will get better on it’s own with a bit of R&R.

Pop and see your GP though if its worrying you as internet diagnoses are mostly guesswork (some of it vaguely educated guesswork granted, but still just guesswork).

jon1973
    Free Member

No, but if some one goes in saying chest pains,

but if you went to the out of hours GP saying the same thing I imagine they’d refer you to A&E anyway.

dr_death
    Free Member

JINX

Drac

Chest Pains a GP would call 999 for an Ambulance to take you straight to A+E, unless it was very clear it was none cardiac. Given the hospital in question here did all those tests it wasn’t.

Or in other words what Dr_Death correctly said once again.

dr_death
    Free Member

I’m quite good at this game for a plumber aren’t I?

(does anyone know if OP is still alive?)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m quite good at this game for a plumber aren’t I?
    (does anyone know if OP is still alive?)

……look what happened the last time I would said i’d be allright.

On a serious note. I’m a proper Hypochondriac. It’s not pleasant at all!

Woody
    Free Member

Well if he’s not, the highest medically qualified contributor can carry the can 😉

I had very extreme pains in my left arm once, which seemed to be brought on/worsened when I had a fag. I got palpitations – more than likely brought on by panicking. I phoned my surgery, then called in – my heart rate and BP was up. They immediately called an ambulance, insisted that I went to said ambulance in a wheelchair with an oxygen mask and off to A&E I went.

I had ecg’s etc and absolutely nothing was found to be wrong. Never had it again.

I get random chest/back pains and twinges and never really take too much notice of them these days. They are usually followed by a cold though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

friend had an ECG at local hospital deemed very grave rushed off to major hospital who after second ECG said – buggers put the clips on the wrong way round again didn’t they

Drac

For suspected cardiac pains medical types tend to treat for the worst until proven otherwise. If we don’t and someone dies because of it, well as you can imagine the paperwork is horrendous.

dr_death
    Free Member

To be fair Paul I did say it was probably a post viral thing (which it was) and that it would get better with time (which it did) and that you should pop along to A&E if it got worse (which it did and you did).
    Although in the back of my mind I was thinking GB syndrome but didn’t want to worry you so just told you to go to A&E if it got worse….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Well the fact you called the hospital on the off chance that I’d be there speaks volumes.

If you’d told me what was going on, I’d have parked the car where Donna could find it though.

TiRed

Not a hypochondriac. But… Woke up two weeks ago with terrible numbness and tingling pain in right hand after sleeping awkwardly. Drank water (was dehydrated) and back to sleep. Ignored it for most of the morning (drove 120 miles), then went to nearby top A&E with same pins and needles. D-Dimer test confirmed no blood clot, so I was happy, and it has since resolved.

For context…. My wife had a subclavian DVT in exactly the same circumstances and we have lived with the consequences since. Once bitten…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

See. I’m just waiting for the day I have a heart attack, so I can say, “see, I told you I was poorly”

That’s how much of a hypochondriac I really am.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If we don’t and someone dies because of it, well as you can imagine the paperwork is horrendous.

Indeed I can imagine.

I have always assumed that’s why ambulance drivers always appear to be in such a hurry…… the horrendous paperwork they will encounter if they don’t make it in time.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘STW doctors and hypochondriacs’ is closed to new replies.