Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stuff to do in or around Whitby
  • Fabdad
    Free Member

As title really,heading up there for a few days later in the week.Hoping to do a couple of walks along the coast up to 5 or 6 miles,that sort of thing.Any suggestions welcome.

lakesrider
    Free Member

If you want food and not walking then magpie fish and chip shop or bothams tea rooms for an olde fashionde victorian type afternoon tea.

Or you coould spend an hour or two walking and looking for fossils on the beach (the one below the cliffs on the Abbey side) – plenty of ammenites to find.

Some good biking on the moors as well.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Pirate ship crazy golf in the amusement arcade near the bandstand, walk south along the coast to Robin Hood’s Bay for a beer, sample the awesome local fudge, crab sandwiches.

It’s great.

We stayed in the Marine a few weeks ago. Food great, views and bedrooms stunning.

stevehine

Ignore the Magpie cafe – overpriced and over busy – Mister Chips across the other side of the river is where it’s at 🙂

For coastal walks you could either start at the Abbey and head east on the Cleveland way; or if you have a car with you you could drive to Sandsend and follow the cleveland way the opposite direction; looping back towards Lythe.

montylikesbeer

2nd Mr chips over the river/bridge (3 mins walk), much better value and as good.

Or more upmarket, try the lobster at The Marine, yum yum

cranberry
    Free Member

Hadley’s ( on the corner on south side of the bridge ) are very good for fish and chips and much more reasonable than Trenchers/The Magpie.

The Times recommends a walk from Robin Hood’s Bay to Boggle Hole ( 3 miles ) as one of Britain’s Top 20 Coastal Walks.

There’s also a smidgen or two of riding in the area.

FuzzyWuzzy

Lived there for a few years in my early teens, entertainment was mostly a combination of blowing my pocket money in the amusements or hunting for fossils in the cliffs (it becomes a dangerous sport after a storm due to all the collapses :p ). Walking to Robin Hoods bay would probably be OK as an adult, was pretty dull as a kid though.

speaker2animals

I’ve never done it but my sister has a few times, there is a walk to Robin Hoods Bay and there is (used to be) a bus service to get you back.

http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/United-Kingdom/Whitby-North-Yorkshire-England/Whitby-to-Robin-Hoods-Bay/elevationmap.aspx

shows links to other routes in the area, some mentioned in other replys above.

djglover
    Free Member

Make like a local and get smacked up

yetivaud
    Free Member

Back in the day Fuscos was where it was at for chips and that.

As others have said there loads of fossils and Whitby Jet to be found on the stretch of coast under the Abbey as well.

http://www.fuscowhitby.com

Philby

There’s also a lovely little smokehouse that sells kippers up a narrow street on the Abbey side of town which is well worth a visit – http://www.fortuneskippers.co.uk/%5D

As above a walk along the cliffs to Robin Hoods Bay is highly recommended.

Inland is the North York Moors railway http://www.nymr.co.uk/%5D which goes through some beautiful countryside.

carlosg
    Free Member

3rd Mr Chips , I believe they have been voted as the best chippy in the area and they do fish from sustainable sources (the Pollack is really nice).IMO the Magpie is very overrated.

As mentioned above loads of riding in the area and the beach at Port Mulgrave up the coast is better for fossil hunting although it’s a fairly steep path to get up/down.

BigJohn

I don’t care what the Magpie’s fi an chi tastes like. Have you seen the queues?

AngusWells

Run up all the steps to the abbey without stopping.

crikey
    Free Member

Make a goth giggle?

HansRey

mr chips is great. The pie shop opposite is good too. Get a skimboard and take it to the beach, at low tide the conditions are usually good for that.

AngusWells

Take the North York Moors Railway to Goathland, do a circular walk that takes in the Malyan Spout waterfall and the village of Beckhole. Beckhole has a great, tiny little pub where you still buy beer through a hatch.

Just try to ignore all the blue rinse grannies on coach tours to Goathland paying tribute to ‘that lovely boy’ Nick Berry and his contribution to lazy Sunday night telly that was Heartbeat.

cakeeater
    Free Member

Avoid the pubs in Goathland for food, not particularly good fayre. The Cross Butts Hotel on the Guisborough Road does a good carvery, also an ok swing park and a few animals out the back (llama’s, goats etc)if you have kids with you. Robin Hoods Bay worth a visit if the tide is out.
    Make a Goth giggle….lol

Creg

We’ve had a lot of people coming into where I work saying that they have been to the Magpie and found it to be a real let down. Long queues and disappointing food.

Activity wise take a look at Falling Foss for some nice walks, plus the tea room there was given some award by The Times recently. Guisborough Woods has some good walks (Roseberry Topping route)/riding if you have the bike with you.

There’s also the seaside places of Robin Hoods Bay, Staithes, Runswick (excellent for fossils/stones/beach combing) and Sandsend. Dalby isn’t too far away either. Scarborough is 20 miles down the coast and has some attractions (Wood End museum, Rotunda, Spa Complex, Beach, Amusements).

If you don’t mind a drive in nearby Pickering/Malton there is Flamingo Land theme park and Eden Camp WW2 museum. Also check out the North Yorkshire Moors Railway too which is celebrating its 175th year this year.

HansRey

about goathland, do not go to inn on the moor or goathland hotel. Both are pretty terrible, and the food is poor (i worked at one of these). The birch hall inn down in beckhole (15mins walk) is brilliant, and the owners are extremely friendly. Ask them about rosie the pig

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Whitby proudly claims that it’s the home of Whitby’s oldest Lifeboat :S

Of course there’s always Dalby Forest…

The area around YO21 3AH has some of the nicer little shops, we liked the Coffee shop.

Under no account do the dracula experience

wors

4th mister chips, i love it in Whitby, one of my fave places. We’ve stopped in sandsend everytime we have been, it’s lovely.

Fabdad
    Free Member

Many thanks for all your comments,will try to check out as many as possible!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Stuff to do in or around Whitby’ is closed to new replies.