Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stripped thread on fork brake bosses
  • danes
    Free Member

Managed to screw up as per the title of the post. Anyone know anyone in Manchester who could sort it for me? From what I've read on the web helicoil would be the best solution.

Please help!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Did the same myself. Get this kit of the bay if you are ok with a drill. peasy. watch the heliciol vids on youtube for how to if your unsure.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M6-X-1-0MM-HELICOIL-THREAD-REPAIR-KIT-283928-SILVERLINE-/120582106936?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c1340ef38

danes
    Free Member

Cheers Swede. Is that kit the right size for standard post mount (they're RockShox Lyrik)? I've seen the vids on YouTube… ordinarily I'd be cool with something like this, but on my expensive forks 😕

TheSwede
    Free Member

I did it on my fox f29s. Gulp. It works a treat. I think all brake bolts are the same. M6. They are on my pikes, mags, foxs. Its really easy and quite satisfying when you do the bolt up and it's as solid as a rock. looking forward to stripping the other one now. 😉

travellingman
    Free Member

Not wishing to knock The Swede's very helpful link but Silverline stuff is utter crap.

Have a look at Buck and Hickman. They sell the genuine Emhart Technologies Helicoil kit for just under £30. Money well spent when M6 x 1.0 is such a common size.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Longer bolt?

danes
    Free Member

It's gone beyond the long bolt solution. Cheers travellingman for the heads up… For the price difference I'll go for the one you've suggested.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I managed to rescue mine using Loctite – worth a try first?

I sought advice from Loctite when my stoker failed to recognise a pedal unscrewing and the crank thread ended up cream crackered. To my surprise this has worked successfully for hundreds of miles over several years.

I expected something more exotic but they suggested 243 which you can get anywhere.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stripped thread on fork brake bosses’ is closed to new replies.