• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stress and long term health problems?
  • Oxboy
    Free Member

What long term effects does stress have on a persons health? Thanks

MikeWW
    Free Member

Depends how much/for how long and how well the individual copes I think

iamsporticus
    Free Member

As above

Whats happening to who, how and when?

zaskar
    Free Member

It’ll kill you- eventually!

Cortisol goes high and disrupts the endocrine systems and the immune system and protein synthesis.

Could cause mood changes, hormone imbalance, IBS, lack of memory and eventually stroke or cancer. I have some journals that may be useful.

Going to bed for 8hrs to get rid of mine. Try problem solving and laughing more+ride your bike.

Takes 3 weeks of healthyness to get back into normality if you can define what is normal.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Stressful job under threat of redundancy in a trade I dont like! Cant seem to get enough sleep 5 1/2 hrs a night max. Happy with the home life and the family its just the job. Caught in a catch 22, seem hemmed in with no way out. Sorry for the cheeriness of the subject, need some help I think . . .

Philby

I had a very stressful job in the late 90s. Got ezcema (sp?) quite badly – never had any skin problems before, and it still occasionally flairs up a bit – and a couple of nervous tics.

Someone gave me a small booklet on addressing it – forgotten what it was called – but it was very useful and gave a whole new perspective on stress and how to deal with it. Basically it was saying that stress is your reaction to a range of situations, each of which you will need to break down into constituent bits – some of which you can change either to a greater or lesser degree, some of which someone else can help you change, and some of which you won’t be able to change. If you can make some or all of the changes in the first two areas this will significantly reduce the factors making you stressed. For example if your boss is putting too many deadlines on you it may be worth discussing how the work can be delivered more effectively and efficiently, and why the particular deadline exists.

Keep active and get out on your bike when you can or do some other physical activity. Stay off the booze as well. Also try to think about the positive things that you do / have done and what your positive qualities and skills are.

Employers need to be careful about creating stress in their employees as it can backfire on them legally if IIRC.

See http://www.hse.gov.uk/stress/ for more info.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Many people use some form of strenuous excercise to help allieviate stress, some try things like Yoga or whatever. For me, swimming works very well. Great exercise, keeps you fit and well buff, adds to your feeling of well-being and self esteem, and is very relaxing.

I haven’t been in a few weeks, due to an ear infection, then a slight back injury, and can definitely feel more stressed. Can’t wait to get back to it.

NZCol

An interesting question. I’ve had a bit of stress building over the last few months and it all came to a head last monday where i really did think i was about to lose the plot in a big way. I had no idea what to do, really felt like i jut could not cope and was physically affected. I sought some professional help/ Now, if you knew me you’d be shocked to hear that as i suppose on the outside i appear busy but under control. Some of my stress was generated by me trying to maintain the ‘duck like’ persona. But my wee legs were going so f ucking hard i did myself an injury ! Anyhoo – i’m working on some processes to help me cope with the stresses and keep me positive.
    Physically i had breathlessness, agitation, insomnia, arrythmia and could not eat without feeling like i was going to barf everywhere. I couldn’t sit still and was on the verge of tears 90% of the time. I know that if i carried on like that I’d either dmaage myself on purpose or do damage to myself by accident.
    Some decisions have been made, some still need to be made and i feel like i am back to my equilibrium.

coffeeking
    Free Member

My dads surgeon, post heart attack, told him his high stress job for 5-10 years was likely to have caused stiffening and contraction of the walls of his arteries which would have contributed to his problem. First I’d heard of it, but it was a top-notch heart surgeon so who am I to question!

I personally have slightly dodgy skin that for hte most part is not an issue but flares up with stress, long term stress leaves me with eczema-like symptoms.

All sorts of unpleasant stuff! Speak to your doc, or find something to take your mind off it if possible – dont end up depressed (clinically) over it, dont let it get that far!

NZCol

Without wanting to sound like a **** – its only a job. Your health, heart and family are not even on the same scale as a job*

* I know, i know – finances are part of the equation.

My dad worked his nuts off his whole life, was made redundant, got **** all for it and is now dying. He made it pretty clear that work is work is work – its not as important as your health, your happiness and you family. I didn’t know him when i was a kid as he was always at work which he regrets hugely and so do I so I am not doing that. Even if it means I have to buy budget bread 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well said NZCol, although some people love high stress jobs, I’m not one – I only like stress that I impose on myself. Other family members went the high stress route, I went the self-stress route. It was a bit controversial due to lower pay etc, but personally I’d rather come home at night thinking of work and looking forward to getting back to it in the morning than wishing it just went away.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I actually quite enjoy stress. My job gives me plenty of opportunity to enjoy this. When I go on holiday it takes me 2-3 days to stop jumping when phones ring or waking up with a start. I then relax for 8-10 days and have a great time. After that I start getting bored which leads to me injurying myself or getting arrested normally althoug I did once complete a 1,500 piece jigsaw without stopping an the last day of a holiday.

Stress can also cause strange behavior apparently.

pomona
    Free Member

It depends on the type of person you are and how much you let the stress affect you. What may be stressful to one person could be a breeze to another.

It does have both short and long term health problems as your bodies natural response to stress is to enter the classic “fight or flight” mode. This works well with dealing with short term problems but when your body stays in this mode for long periods of time you can develop longer term problems such as ulcers (there are more but that’s the only one I can remember off the you of my head).

You have two options, either remove yourself from the stressful situation or learn to deal with it. As it’s work that’s causing the stress I’d guess that the first option is out so you’ll have to learn to deal with it and not let it affect you.

I’ve got some really good material on this that I could e-mail you if you’d like. It covers things such as diet, conflict avoidance, sleep patterns etc.

I have a very stressful job (Air Traffic Controller, according to some people, it’s the most stressful there is) add to that 4 kids, moving to the other side of the world (UK to NZ) rapidly followed by a marriage break down. I learnt to cope with it all it it doesn’t really affect me too much but then again I am completely devoid of all emotions which does help 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cancel my flight to NZ!

HTTP404
    Free Member

Typically, stress is said to lead to high blood pressure which can in turn make you susceptible to heart attack and stroke.

hora
    Free Member

I have a job in what can be a very stressful industry. People tend to last 3months-1yr max. Ive lasted 8yrs (getting bored now though). How I cope? I strictly leave work at the work door. Theres a Japanese-system where you have mental boxes, you put things into there and close with the promise to sort on a certain day/time. However Ive just read pomona’s post. I think he has the most stressful by far!

BlingBling
    Free Member

Stress makes me sleepy…not good in stressful meetings, if pushed too hard I’m practically alseep in the chair lol

hora
    Free Member

BlingBling- funny that, as soon as it turns 10pm I’m out. Last night I was really struggling to read abook kept on dropping it, rewaking (was on a good bit) then dropping off again.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stress and long term health problems?’ is closed to new replies.