Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Strava Addiction
  • jam-bo

iPhone drops a GPS point every 1 second.

Explanation fail. Strava tracks every 4s.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I found my garmin to be pretty useless so sold it. Only redeemin feature it had was long battery life compared to my phone – a non issue for most folk on here really.

STATO
    Free Member

Really? Must be some other GPS app that drops it every 1s then. Apologies. Could still be more accurate than a garmin if the GPS points are nearer the start/finish than the randomly tracked garmin ones, tho obviously less likely now. Is this why some people use endomondo and then transfer the track to Strava? (I have a Garmin so no idea about phone apps)

steve_b77
    Free Member

I haz sum KOM’s, wikkid innit

epicsteve
    Free Member

I found my garmin to be pretty useless so sold it. Only redeemin feature it had was long battery life compared to my phone – a non issue for most folk on here really.

I found the opposite. My iPhone did a reasonable job as a GPS tracker but from the tracks you could see there were quite a few inconsistencies. Nothing too bad, however the killer was that even if fully charged at the start it’d only do 2-hours max of tracking before the battery died.

My Garmin is just a cheap forerunner 305 but I’ve been impressed with it. It can still show some inconsistencies at times but only really when under heavy tree cover.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines was a 205

My phones a well used iphone 4 And does about 5 hrs my garmin did 12 hrs which was nice but no needed . I have to carry a nokia c30 anyway for work so not worried about battery being run down

jam-bo

however the killer was that even if fully charged at the start it’d only do 2-hours max of tracking before the battery died

4 hour ride with my 18 month old Iphone4 used ~40% of battery on saturday….

njee20
    Free Member

I lost 2 over the weekend and dropped from 2nd to 8th on another, clearly the trails are getting faster again!

I wish there was just a list of all segments you’ve ridden and your position. Unless you’re KOM, or happen to look at one, it’s impossible to know where you are.

All good fun though!

crazy-legs

Really? Not trying to troll, genuine question. GPS updates every second; I know you can set Garmin to have a longer battery life by only recording every 5 seconds but normally the default setting is every second.

Surely to be accurate, especially on shorter segments, it should read every second?

jam-bo

Recording intervals vary between devices – for example, the mobile app records every 4 seconds while Garmins usually use smart recording which has a varied recording interval. Segment matching works the same on each GPS dataset, but depending on the unique data and recording interval, can yield different results. Segment matching uses the GPS points in the data closest to the start and endpoints of the segment, and as this can vary with each activity, timing on a segment can vary slightly because of this. At the present time, we don’t interpolate or extrapolate GPS data to normalize for the exact start and end positions of the segment.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20950148-segment-matching-issues

njee20
    Free Member

I must say the Strava track tends to be far more ‘vague’ than (for example) the Garmin Connect one. Looking at a trail like Barry Knows Best you lose a huge number of the corners judging by the Strava trace. Not sure if this is just how it plots it on the map, or to do with the sampling, but it looks a little odd.

Also often shows me going back on myself or round in circles which Connect never does.

jam-bo

I use an app called velocio for MTB. Records at 1s intervals and uploads direct to strava.

For road the strava app is fine.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I had an interesting one the other day. According to strava i hit 69.4mph on a ride

http://app.strava.com/rides/9226498

I uploaded the same rout to garmin and it didn’t show this spike. I worked out this was when i was in a tunnel on the bristol > bath cycle track. Strava took the loss of gps signal between the tunnel and calculated the speed at nearly 70mph 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Strava’s not been the most reliable of GPS trackers for me:

On my last ride, Strava decided to stop recording 15km from home. And the ride before that I had to stop it because it killed my phone battery (now sorted with a bigger battery). The ride before that, my first proper ride with it, it died completely leaving me no way of getting the data.

It’s kind of become like Facebook though: the more people that use it, the less likely you are to leave it because of its faults.

will
    Free Member

HTTP404 – Member
    anybody worked out why the power calculation (as inaccurate as it is) does not seem to work – even after entering rider weight and default cycle data?

Think it was a bug. I couldn’t get it to work last night, but checked back on my ride this morning and the power has been calculated.

njee20 – Member

I wish there was just a list of all segments you’ve ridden and your position. Unless you’re KOM, or happen to look at one, it’s impossible to know where you are.

Agree! That would be a great feature.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a simple device to log STRAVA on as the iphone battery just doesn’t last long enough

will
    Free Member

Simon – I had that issue. Could only get it to last around 5.5 hours. So got an external iPhone battery case for £7. I can now get around 15 hours of Strava time!

DT78
    Free Member

ahahahahahah!!!! Found the extra 3 seconds and picked up that KOM today…. I even had a pint and did a little victory dance for the wife. …

Strange thing is, I was riding with a buddy this time and whilst riding quick wasn’t actually trying to beat any times.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Another weird one – the ride I did at the weekend, two segments cropped up on it, not created by me – but according to the segment page I’m the only person to have ridden them. 😕 Why would you create a segment you hadn’t ridden yourself? Or is the segment creator just an intensely private individual embarrassed about their crap times?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I tend to use “my tracks” on my android phone. You can use it with the data off, so it doesnt batter the data allowance or the battery.
    then save it as a gpx file and upload to strava. Bit long winded, but it doesnt kill the phone or the data.

bigyinn
    Free Member

stefmcdef, it does automatically create some segments if they’re over a certain length and / or gradient.

epicsteve
    Free Member

stefmcdef, it does automatically create some segments if they’re over a certain length and / or gradient.

I had that happen when I uploaded what was stored in my Garmin. Unfortunately the segment it created (a category 2 climb) was on a munro I’d climbed a couple of weeks back so it could be a while before any cycling times get posted!

timmys

As it hasn’t been mentioned for a while, someone created a Singletrackworld club so there is”A place for the overweight IT middle managers of STW to unite and massage each others egos.”

http://app.strava.com/clubs/singletrackworld-com-forumites

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Strava Addiction’ is closed to new replies.