Viewing 38 posts - 201 through 238 (of 238 total)
  • Stolen (?) Jones Spaceframe & Truss Fork
  • allthepies
    Free Member

If I could get it from the police then I’d do so (without worrying about the insurance people). With it in my possession then the bargaining position with the insurers becomes much stronger. Stating “Na, that’s too much, you can arrange to have the bike collected from me” would probably result in a deal being made 🙂 If not then let the, have it (they don’t want it though).

qwerty
    Free Member

Get it back from the police, agree to what the insurance company want for it, then charge them their price in storage!

chewkw
    Free Member

qwerty – Member

Get it back from the police, agree to what the insurance company want for it, then charge them their price in storage!

Yes, this one ^^^ 😀

Slogo
    Free Member

Why are the police giving you the bike? Its no longer yours, Its the insurance companies.

Would that mean you have stolen the property or the insurance company if the police give it to you.

The insurance company know what the bike is worth and want to get some money back hopefully to bring the premiums down.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Amazing storey! And another – why didn’t you buy another Jones question? I’ve tried the 29+ Knard front on mine! and I really didn’t like the tyre! poor grip in anything other than hardpack conditions, I’ll give it another go when better rubber is available ………. 4.8″ rubber is the way to go. I hope you get it back ok.

Chainline
    Free Member

Slogo,

The Police arent giving me the bike currently, but the insurance company don’t appear to have informed all parties.

I have done the right thing here. as did EBC.

“The insurance company know what its worth?” Do you know what a stolen, un maintained, 5 year old Jones is worth? I’m not sure I do. If they do, great, let them tell me and I’ll make a decision if they’re on LSD and whether I can afford it right now. If not someone else who can will go to some auction or other and take it on, probably after the insurance company has burned a bunch of cash in time and administration.

Bring the premiums down..right! This is M&S and an underwriter that no longer covers high value bikes to my knowledge….

With the insurer being so cagey about the value they want for whatever reason and the s£$t I’ve taken on here, apparently for being honest, like the OP, I almost don’t care anymore.

nealglover
    Free Member

With the insurer being so cagey about the value they want for whatever reason…

I would imagine they are trying to find out what their property is currently worth so they make sure they get a fair price for it when they sell it.

I’ve no doubt you made sure you made sure you got a fair price for it when they paid out a few thousand quid for the claim ?

They are just doing the same thing now aren’t they ?

I’m not having a pop, and it’s great that you did the right thing and told them about it.

But if an ex-Jones owner, who I presume knows a fair bit about them, can’t value it accurately/easily, how can you expect an insurance company to do it any better/quicker ?

Chainline
    Free Member

They know what they want, they just don’t want to tell me. I do know a bit about Jones bikes but alot has changed principally the increase in scale of production in Taiwan in addition to the production of a low (relative) cost steel frame.

Like I said I almost don’t care now.

nealglover
    Free Member

They know what they want, they just don’t want to tell me.

That doesn’t seem very likely.

They have a bike that they don’t want, they have no use for it and they want to recover some of the money they paid for it when you claimed.

And they have a buyer waiting (you)

If they knew what they wanted for it, they would tell you.

Anyway, it seems like they have lost the potential buyer from what you have said. So it will likely end up at auction and be a bargain for someone eventually.

iolo
    Free Member

Like I said I almost don’t care now.

If that’s the case would you mind giving me your insurance companies details and reference?
    Would the bike fit a 5′ 6″ tall guy?
    I am willing to put a decent offer for a 5 year old stolen recovered jones.

imnotverygood

I found myself in this position with a stolen Cannondale. Not only did I recover the bike, detained the perps which led to someone being charged with 86 counts of bicycle theft. I also told them the police had it, told them again that the police had it, phoned them again when they couldn’t find it because it had been sitting in a police station having not been moved to the place the Insurance company expected the police to move it to, and they still wouldn’t take my offer for the resprayed frame. I pointed out to them that parts of the bike ( wheels, saddle post, saddle) weren’t theirs anyway as they had been swapped, but refrained from telling the police this when they took the lot anyway. While I accept they need to get a fair price, they wouldn’t tell me what that was. Let’s face it, if it hadn’t been for me they wouldn’t have got anything at all. It hardly encourages people to report or recover stuff they know is stolen.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Not certain on this but don’t most insurance companies have agents in place to ‘buy’ recovered goods at a set rate. Ie if the item payout was £5k then the agent pays a set % regardless.

This makes things efficient.
    It covers the insurer for things like liability if for example there was a crack in that Jones frame and you killed yourself on it next week
    Its probably cost effective.

Maybe it also comes under the scope of the buyer getting a bonus item once in a while after taking most of the insurance companies junk all the time.

Life is soooo messy sometimes

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Reading imnotverygood post it makes even more sense that maybe it is a liability issue. An agent probably has a contract in place that they are buying the goods in whatever condition they get. If the insurance company sell you a bike with absolutely no knowledge of its roadworthiness then maybe they are open to being sued if you crash and kill yourself.

A few quid to the insurance company is probably not worth the hastle.

Chainline
    Free Member

Ok to bring this thing almost to a close. Insurance company and I came to an agreement. The bike is mine again and will come home.
    I just hope it not broken, cos the only was the insurance company would proceed was on the basis I paid up front with no recourse. Hey ho.

andyl
    Free Member

Did you meet in a middle ground in case it is in a poor state? Did the guys in the shop say anything about the condition?

PiknMix
    Free Member

So it is a happy ending, good work stw.

Duffer
    Free Member

Awesome. Great result. I hope it was worth the hastle!

iolo
    Free Member

Have you moved since it was stolen? If not make sure they don’t just steal it again.

Chainline
    Free Member

Not moved. More security..although there was a lot already, but there’s more now. If they really want it…they’ll get it won’t they. Got 2 alarms, one linked to house, a pragmasis 19mm chain thru frame, 16mm thru wheels via ground anchor, in a cube of concrete with resin locked rounded off bolts + 2 squire U locks attaching it all together. It takes me 15mins to get a bike out to go ride with the keys, can’t do much more.

Chainline
    Free Member

To answer an earlier question the shop said its in decent condition as did police. I’m only worried about a crack/break, it’s ti so will brush up. Hubs are maintainable. The crank looks like it needs some ltc to bring back the shine but that’s ok. The drivetrain is a bit behind the times but it was then so there you go. Not many 6spd cassettes on SS hubs with thumbies.Jefff is all about a strong wheel so minimising the dish was the goals, same at the front with 135mm spacing. Makes a big difference on a 29er.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Great!! Post up when you have your first ride:))

somafunk

Good to hear it’s back where it belongs.

RE : your shed/garage security?….that’s unreal what you have to do….i can’t even remember the last time i locked my house….dunno where the keys are it was so long ago?. Not much happens up here to be worried about.

Chainline
    Free Member

somafunk, I should have said there is a custom squire mutha of a padlock around the 19mm chain, they have to machine the U to make it fit, in a addition to the rest. TBH I’m just really paranoid after that theft.

user-removed
    Free Member

I hear you. I’ve let my security slide a bit recently as getting a bike out of the garage was taking me ten minutes, longer if it was at the back of the stack. So I could never be arsed!
    I now keep the most used bike just u-locked to the outermost ‘properly’ locked bike and can have it ready to go in two mins. I’ll let you know when it gets nicked. Again.

ratherbeintobago

I’m only worried about a crack/break, it’s ti so will brush up

IIRC Enigma do Ti repairs if that helps?

Chainline
    Free Member

Got the bike back today. I’d like to say a huge thanks to Alex and the EBC for being on the ball and alerting the forum.

I went in to thank them personally.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ogKdar]image[/url] by philip.pryor, on Flickr

Thanks again to the members on here who recognised the bike and got in touch so quickly.

Its in pretty good condition although clearly never been maintained and has 5 years of grime on it.
    The front brake is useless with more air than fluid I think, the gear adjuster was broken off and only two gears working and it bears the scars of being leaned up against alot of walls outside of shops. Its clearly been left outside too as the lovely Ti railed Brooks swift leather has sagged and maybe beyond saving.
    However these are minor things.

As it wasn’t a huge detour on my way home, and I’ve always wanted to meet the guy, I popped into Sideways Cycles and asked Tim if he could build a Marge lite rim on the front PhilWood hub and put a Nate on it. He duly obliged on the spot and despite a bit of trouble due to huge flanges on the hub, maybe due to my incessant talking, it came good. Fat front was always my preferred Jones configuration.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ogKn9m]image[/url] by philip.pryor, on Flickr

And home finally, Fat front on awaiting some TLC over the weekend and a test spin
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ogLmFT]image[/url] by philip.pryor, on Flickr

cloudnine
    Free Member

Yay! I love happy endings…

SidewaysTim

Ooh, it’s looking better already 🙂

pedalphile
    Free Member

I feel like we orchestrated our shirts for the photo! It was good to meet you Phil, glad you got your baby back!

Chainline
    Free Member

Voila, trail ready..brakes bled, serviced, gears fettled, saddle tensioned, grips replaced, headset nipped up,
    its still ace. Thanks again guys.

[/url]image by philip.pryor, on Flickr[/img]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oBmPyc]image[/url] by philip.pryor, on Flickr

and on the trail

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oBAR3N]image[/url] by philip.pryor, on Flickr

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe, brill story 8)

Hicksy
    Free Member

Glad you got it back. Well done to those involved.

alpin
    Free Member

Nice… Have read the whole thread on my train ride today.
    But the I’m left wanting more…. How much did you have to pay to get it back?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Welcome to the half fat Jones club 8)

oldnick

Just read the whole thread, what a rollercoaster!

Good to see the right thing does happen sometimes 🙂

[scuttles off to write down frame numbers]

boxelder

Is that mod on the where the brake hose leaves the lever common on loopy bsrs – presume it allows a shorter hose run?
    Good to see a Disney ending.
    Pedaphile – has the lass been back in (with her big brother maybe?)

AlexSimon

Ace looking bike!

Chainline
    Free Member

oldnick, yes and yes, Jeff recommended it. Not possible with all brakes I guess but the Hopes allow it.
    JohnCimber, its nice to be back, half-fat is as good as I remember, I much prefer it to full fat for normal riding.
    Have been aout a few times now. lovely and so different to my other bike it makes owning both justifiable 🙂
    As to what I had to pay to get it back, well thats not a number I want to publish other than more than I’d have liked, especially for an old,used rigid bike (I can’t imagine asking it for a 5yr old even very high end FS for example) but less than it could have been.

I didnt realise until afterwards the Ti has been out of production, still alot more around than when I got it.

Viewing 38 posts - 201 through 238 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘Stolen (?) Jones Spaceframe & Truss Fork’ is closed to new replies.