Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Steerer tube too short..
  • 0091paddy
    Free Member

Hey all,

Just got hold of another frame after realising my 18" was a tad small, and gone up to a 19.5. According to the sizes given before hand the 5" steerer tube would have left me with enough room for about 1 spacer plus the headset etc. This frame however takes a traditional external headset so I'm left with next to no room for a headset let alone a spacer, and the headtube is actually a little bigger than 5"

Last thing I want to do is have to buy a new set of forks (currently with 7" steerer – which allowed for 2 spacers on the old frame) so what if – if any, options do I have? Lower stack stem perhaps – the Ritchey WCS one on it is 41mm high.

I'll go take a pic in a mo.

Thanks in advance!

fozzybear
    Free Member

only real option i could come up with is this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3970

but personally, you need to be looking to change the forks, that thing won't take the load really especially as your saying the steerer pretty much ends where it will load onto the upper bearing race!

mtbfix

You do not say what fork it is for but there is a steerer swap thread on retrobike – http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43194

0091paddy
    Free Member

Eeek, pair of 2008 Reba Race. Just uploading the pics now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I use one of those steerer extenders on my commuter. It is by n means a perfect solution and I had to get some machining done to it to get a perfect fit. However it is a lot cheaper than a new upper assembly and I am confident of its strength. It is heavy tho.

clubber
    Free Member

IIRC FSA Orbit XL2 headsets are 27.5mm stack height which is pretty low so depending on the headset you currently have, that might help.

Truvativ XR stems have very low stack height – about 35mm – and with the single bolt design are arguably better if the top of the steerer's a bit lower in the stem than ideal. Needs to be the version pictured below as I think the newer ones are taller.

Otherwise, BBB do a steerer extender which is about £15 IIRC.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I will be planning to race on the bike though, so don't really feel having a steerer extender in place will be overly secure..

clubber
    Free Member

One final and reasonably drastic option is to have the head tube faced to shorten it a bit if the design means that there's sufficient material – you can often save about 10mm this way.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Crank Brothers directsets are super low stack height (just over 20mm)

0091paddy
    Free Member

Cheers the suggestions people, I'm just going to get some new forks, and sell my others. Mint condition as well 🙁

the00
    Free Member

Sell your forks and buy some new ones or ones from the classifieds – that's what I had to do, and it allowed me to 'relegate' my old forks to my SS.

AndyP
    Free Member

or ride really gently. The bottom clamp bolt on my stem just about lines up with the top of the steerer tube on one of my bikes. Never had a problem yet. But got dental insurance.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just out of curosity, how much steerer do you need?

I have 08 reba races on my Handjob, and I've got around 205mm of steerer.

How long is your steerer?

0091paddy
    Free Member

I really don't fancy the front of my bike collapsing though! 😆 Yup, classifieds it is.

steve_b77
    Free Member

0091paddy
    Free Member

Steve, on the last bike I ran the forks with two spacers, which was more than enough, but the headtube on the previous bike was just under 5" , whereas the replacement frame is just over 5" and that taking in to account an external headset means that they just aren't long enough. Real pain in the arse!

The steerer is 180mm.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Ahh bugger, about 15mm too short then.

Worth a go though

0091paddy
    Free Member

Now on the classifieds. 🙁

nedrapier

Don't sell them yet.

Take an angle grinder to your the middle of your headtube. Lose 1/4", and in order to weld the 2 halves straight again, you can choose between crimping your downtube or your top tube depending on whether you want to slacken your head tube angle or not.

Save money on forks, adjustable geometry, win-win solution. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I think nedrapier has the winning suggestion!

firestarter
    Free Member

why do people think the bbb extender wont be secure enough out of interest just wondered as my old bikes had stems with the same fitting and never had any problems with them

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Steerer tube too short..’ is closed to new replies.