Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Steerer tube cutting guides
  • finbar
    Free Member

Are they worthwhile? I’ve cut plenty of steerers but they normally end up a bit wonky. I’m thinking about the Ice Toolz one:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a14820/saw-guide-for-forks.html?lg=en

rocketman
    Free Member

Does the steerer have to be level? The last spacer should take care of any inaccuracies

Three_Fish
    Free Member

For that money, you could consider a decent quality pipe cutter and a good file.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

One of these?. Always get a straight when I use one and cheaper too.

andyl
    Free Member

grab an old stem and clamp it to the steerer and use it as a guide.

finbar
    Free Member

Does the steerer have to be level? The last spacer should take care of any inaccuracies

No, but this time i’m going to be cutting the steerer on my Cannondale Slice Premium carbon forks and i’d like it to be neater than my normal efforts!

One of these?. Always get a straight when I use one and cheaper too.

Good idea MM. Have you tried it on a carbon steerer? It should be fine i imagine…?

finbar
    Free Member

Also another good idea, cheers Andyl.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I used one of those pipe cutters yesterday on a steerer on a set of Bombers – it worked a treat. Try Wilkinsons if you have one nearby, they’re only about £4 quid in there.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I think the old stem idea is a good one. I’ve got one of those Ice Toolz steerer cutters and I wasn’t convinced it cut squarely, but it did cut neatly.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10222

Used it way more than i thought i would and it’s been excellent.
    Same as your original link really but a bit cheaper.

tony_m
    Free Member

Another vote for the B and Q pipe cutter here. Works well on steerers and bars, though admittedly I’ve not used it on carbon.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Good idea MM. Have you tried it on a carbon steerer?

Not used it on carbon and would not like to assume it would be okay. Sorry.

Bazz

I’ve always used a jubilee clip and hacksaw with good results.

andyl
    Free Member

NO! do not use a pipe cutter on a carbon steerer. Really bad idea.

Get a nice fine pitched hacksaw blade and cut with light pressure. We would normally use a diamond saw for cutting carbon fibre so it doesn’t tear it like teeth will.

coatesy
    Free Member

We’ve got a Park one in the workshop, disturbingly, it’s still possible to cut on the wonk whilst using it. If it needs to be accurate, i’d scribe all the way round using a stem as a guide, and follow the line very carefully, rotating the steerer a bit at a time.

JoB
    Free Member

i have a proper cutting guide because it does the job quickly and easily, and essential for piece of mind when cutting carbon, and it’s paid for itself many times over when lent to friends who want to do a proper job and then return it with a bottle of beer as thanks

mrdestructo

Always used an angle grinder on alu tubes. Makes facing them easier too…….

ChrisA
    Free Member

Wrap a bit of electrical tape around the area you are cutting for a carbon steerer to stop it splintering and use a fine toothed saw

takisawa2

Old stem but still wonky cut, so taped & dressed with angle grinder. Steel fork though, so pipe cutter not ideal. On alloy you really won’t beat a pipe cutter.

igm

The steerer tube cutting guide probably (actually defintitely) isn’t necessary, but it does make things easy.

theotherjonv

I use a stem spacer either side of the cut, taped tightly in place with duck tape. And then I always use a spacer above the stem after anyway, so it doesn’t matter it it’s a bit wonky and I always get the whole of the stem clamp on the steerer.

Gooner_Dom
    Free Member

I brought a pipe cutter last week – did the job perfectly!

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN5885500K

I have it to do any future ones now this way – its a de-burring blade too so literally just needed about 10seconds with the metal file and i was done!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Steerer tube cutting guides’ is closed to new replies.