Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Steel/853 Itch
  • rega
    Free Member

Looking at a new hardtail frame and steel is the preferred choice. Looking at the obvious:-

R.Lobster 853
    Genesis Altitude 30

But was also looking for views/opinions on the new Pipedream Sirius or Singular Hummingbird or anything similar. Would be running 100mm Forks with the option to rigid aswell.

boxelder

I've had a Life for a few years now and still love it.

karnali
    Free Member

just got a altitude 30 and very pleased with it running 120 fox's on it and they seem a good match. much comfier thant he scandal it replaced.

charliedontsurf

853 is amazing stuff.

But almost all 853 frames are 853 on the three main tubes only.

Why not go crazy and get one with 853 stays: Niner if you want big wheels and dekerf for 26er wheels.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I've been thinking about this as well.

The Pipedream Sirius seems to be the best (cheapest) value 853 around, although I'm not sure they are in stock currently.

Everything else is at around £400 or more for a frame, usual suspects of Genesis, Cotic, Pace, Orange.

The Hummingbird comes with solid forks is that's of interest.

I'm seriously looking at the Decade Virsa, made from Tange Prestige
    http://www.kinesisdecade.co.uk/product.php?id=2

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmm… De Kerf 😀

I have an 853 Evil Sov, not the style of frame you're looking for I don't think (although it's great at 100mm, it's a heavyweight hooligan) but great nonetheless
    Mrs B has an 853 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, which would be more up your street, I expect. If you can find a deal on a '09 frame (wiggle did have some half price) then a lovely (if not superlight) frame
    Otherwise… and a bit more down to earth budget wise … Cotic Soul?

if I have my info right, 853 stays have the same profile as Reynold's 4130 stays, so they'd be stronger but not lighter or different ride-wise (assuming all the joint detailing is the same not sure on required weld sizes etc). At least this is why Cy said he's not using 853 stays on the Soul for the time being.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pipedream has had some difficulties in supply and have been pretty poor communicating about it, but according to their website the 853 Sirius' are in the UK now, for shipping to punters next week.

donks
    Free Member

+1 the kinesis versa, have had one for about 3 months now to replace the old inbread 456 and it's quality, running it as a singlespeed and it's a damn fine steed. £275.00 off ebay as well so no too dear.

heihei

Second the 853 Evil Sov – simply awesome!

messiah
    Free Member

Why 853? I bought my a Whyte 19 Steel which is 631 when I could have bought any number of 853 frames for the price. I loved the features of the Whyte and the lower spec material put me neither up nor down since it rides awesome – there is a more to how a bike rides than the particular steel (or material even) that it is built from…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Steel/853 Itch’ is closed to new replies.