Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 281 total)
  • Star: Trek: Discovery
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

Am I the only person in the known universe that is bothered by the fact that they dropped the F-Bomb?! Twice!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No there is a thread about it too.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

I really enjoy it. It feels like a cross between Voyager and the later episodes of DS9, when they were fully at war with the Jem’Hadar.

I agree that the re imagination of the Klingons is a bit of a let down. They were well developed in TNG so I don’t see why they needed to rip that up. Their space suits/armour are cool though.

scotroutes

Torminalis – Member
    Am I the only person in the known universe that is bothered by the fact that they dropped the F-Bomb?! Twice!

So you are the person the STW swear filter is there to “protect?

The big question is; how did the tardigrade manage to rehydrate itself in open space?

vintagewino
    Free Member

because it was freeeeeeeeee

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m now up to episode four of The Orville. It’s like Star Trek, but betterer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The big question is; how did the tardigrade manage to rehydrate itself in open space?

you should probably stop watching now or your question list will get very long!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

The new series started well but every subsequent episode of Discovery is making it harder to like.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango

seosamh77
    Free Member

muppetWrangler – Member
    The new series started well but every subsequent episode of Discovery is making it harder to like.

new episode was better.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m liking the captain more and more, devious and determined

shermer75
    Free Member

new episode was better.

I’m finding the quality of the episodes to be inversely proportional to the quantity of space fungus content

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh, that’s 7 episodes, I’m thinking 5 or 6 at a push out of 10 is about as much as I’d rate this.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Been watching both Discovery and Orville and both now are like stepping back in time 20 years pulling ideas and re jigs of episodes from the Next Generation .. Just expected Kelsey Grammer to appear in the last episode 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I actually thought Stellar’s dad was Kelsey Grammer at the end.
    then I thought it was John Lithgow from 3rd Rock from the Sun.

I think today’s episode was the best of the series. I love a good ground hog day story.

sirromj

Been watching one or two episodes an evening just finished the groundhog day one. Really enjoying it so far. Finding it no less enjoyable than NextGen/DS9/Voyager. It’s definitely Star Trek, put of the fun is criticising it. Some of the new Klingons remind me of the graphics in the original Half Life game, and some at first glance I almost mistook for Ferengi.

Started watching Orville too, the opening scene in ep2 was brilliant, but I’ve put it on hold to watch this.

seosamh77
    Free Member

That’s us on the break, I liked yesterdays episode, and tbh I think that’s us really just starting now, without wanting to spoil it, we’ve got to the point of these episodes now, and we’ll looking like we’re in for a voyageresque type thing now? I never did think the early premise would last forever.

Overall been hit an miss, but I think it’s starting to settle. I do still like it.

scotroutes

I hope the next episode isn’t just a return to normal space.

Voq/Tyler. Yes or no?

wilburt
    Free Member

Just done nine episodes in two nights, best Star Trek since the original.

seosamh77
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    I hope the next episode isn’t just a return to normal space.

Voq/Tyler. Yes or no?

dunno, something going on anyhow but if voq why subservient to the other yin?

captain, good guy or alternate universe bad guy “going home”? well mibbe no bad guy, but different point of view/mission.

footflaps

It’s ok, not the most gripping series I’ve watched. If they dropped it, I wouldn’t be bothered.

bigdean

We’ve liked it so far. Something the family can watch together. Though the flashback “interigation” bits confused the 9 yr old.

Tryig to find a family series on netfix or a series thats not dark and moody is getting more difficult. Netflix turning emo/ goth?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its a 15 rated its said the f word and sworn and latest episode had a flashback of alien sex rape – your version of family entertainment is definitely different from mine.

I now pre watch them and skip the bits that are not suitable – FWIW i am fairly certain it started out as a 12 till the last episode even with the swearing but Dr Who or like the other instalments/definitely family suitable it is not

Still enjoying it though

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m still lukewarm about Discovery. Despite the billing and Sonequa Martin-Green and Anthony Rapp both being absolutely outstanding, the script writing leaves much to be desired, particularly where the Klingons are concerned.

TBH I expected a lot more, especially with people like Nicholas Meyer onboard.

footflaps

Despite the billing and Sonequa Martin-Green and Anthony Rapp both being absolutely outstanding

Are we watching the same series, she is mediocre at best and has the most weird running style I’ve ever seen….

richmtb

It was undecided after the first couple of episodes but its gradually grown on me. A few things still grate like Saru – hes just annoying and I’m still not convinced by the Klingon make over, especially the way they murrrrderrrrrrrr evvvverrrry sylabbbbbbllllle.

But overall I’ve enjoyed it

bigdean

Its a 15 rated its said the f word and sworn and latest episode had a flashback of alien sex rape – your version of family entertainment is definitely different from mine.

Yes the latest episode was too much with the flash backs and pre viewing might havd to be done. As for the language. You hear worse at school pick up, in a family pub or out shopping. Other than that he has enjoyed, if not understood all of it.
    Strangley he was more scared of doctor who than star trek.

shermer75
    Free Member

Well that ended abruptly. Only 9 episodes? Or has the series been split into two parts? The next episode is being shown on the 9th January

scotroutes

Yep. That’s the mid-season break. Quite common with US TV series.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

a flashback of alien sex rape

If my hunch is right then that’s not what those flashbacks showed.

Well that ended abruptly. Only 9 episodes? Or has the series been split into two parts? The next episode is being shown on the 9th January

American scheduling, two 9 episode half seasons with a big ‘ol gap in the middle.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ah well, at least it ended on an exciting note! Very Voyager-y 🙂

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Sonequa Michael Burnham is in general rubbish as an actor. And agree about the running (the director/dir. Of photography should also shot for allowing it through).

And in the last episode (SPOILER) WHEN THE guy runs really fast….speeding up the frame rates is just not acceptable.

scotroutes

The problem with having Saru running is that the actor has to wear weird shoes that would prevent him from really doing so. He also has a really strange walking gait as a result.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, it was doing quite well, got me interested even though I don’t really like Trek, then tonight’s episode – wtf? Somehow managed to jump the shark during Christmas.

sirromj

Made sense to me.

scotroutes

Hell yes!

Loved the “chief engineers” accent too 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It made sense, but it was drivel 🙁

Caher

Watched last night and found myself surfing on the phone. Got properly bored.

chakaping
    Free Member

Watched around five or six of them but found it very frustrating.

I must have been spoiled by high-quality hour-long TV dramas which take their time unfolding a complex story with rich characterisation.

These feel really rushed, fast-forwarding over huge plot points and using only broad brush strokes on most of the characters.

Very telling that I found the science stuff annoying as well, because I don’t normally care if the sci bit of sci-fi is nonsense.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a love hate thing with the alternate universe done well it’s great done badly and everyone else is the exact opposite of who they are.

These feel really rushed, fast-forwarding over huge plot points and using only broad brush strokes on most of the characters.

In some ways it’s the rush that is bringing a group of people together in a time of stress and war. Not everyone knows who the others are and what they are about. We are not meant to know.
    Rolling with it anyway, it needed to get to this place, previously they would have done it in one episode

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Star: Trek: Discovery’ is closed to new replies.