Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 281 total)
  • Star: Trek: Discovery
  • Cougar

I’m really starting to enjoy it quite a lot. Last night’s was properly dark. It feels more like BSG than Star Trek.

nickc

Yeah got to agree, it’s a pretty good stab at the alternate universe thing, care about the characters it’s one of the better star trek spin offs

FuzzyWuzzy

I think it’s pretty good as a TV series, what drives me nuts though is the grain effect they’ve added. In UHD it’s incredibly distracting (to me at least), I don’t mind the Netflix grain effect crap too much on things like the Marvel series but in a spaceship you’re expecting clean clinical lines and what you actually see is blurry/graininess does my head in.

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

I am more and more involved. Going to keep watching.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah got to agree, it’s a pretty good stab at the alternate universe thing

I am more and more involved

I’m amazed people can say these things.

It’s ludicrous, contrived and laughably scripted. Jumped the shark not when they ended up in a different universe, but when that universe turned out to be populated by humans acting like Klingons. How deep 🙄

I must have been spoiled by high-quality hour-long TV dramas which take their time unfolding a complex story with rich characterisation.

These feel really rushed, fast-forwarding over huge plot points and using only broad brush strokes on most of the characters.

Exactly this.

The interstellar mycelium thing – that’s not a bad idea if stretched somewhat, and how it was explored piece by piece was pretty good before Christmas. But they spent all that time getting to this particular point now it’s like they’re glad that serious stuff is over and they can go back to banal poor quality standard Star Trek Voyager bilge.

back2basics
    Free Member

@molgrips ftw!

considering how long it took to get into production, the script is dire – and the throwaway swearing/gore/rape , for me , sometimes feel its for “sensationalism” to show its “more adult”

ocrider

Yes I can hear you, Clem Fandango Voq, son of none…
    Looks as if it took half the season to get to where whoever made the pitch wanted to be at the end of the first episode.

back2basics
    Free Member

pah , i just had a thought, as they turned a klingon into a total human (on the outside) are they going to macguffin in some sort of klingon/human hybrid that ties in with the original series where klingons look like humans?

thats about the only thing that could tie in, as lets face it , the tech in this series is better than the tech in the next gen movies – yet its set before KIRK IIRC.

disaster.
    i would have had more respect if they had kept it “old tech” and copied KIRK era and just concentrated on script/story!

#holographicbloodycommsrubbish….

Cougar

Jumped the shark not when they ended up in a different universe, but when that universe turned out to be populated by humans acting like Klingons.

You’ve not watched much Star Trek then I take it? The Mirror Universe has been a thing on and off since an episode in the original series.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes and it’s absurd and as you correctly point out, cliched to death.

scotroutes

As absurd as FTL travel and that 99.9999% of all intelligent species are bipedal?*

* though IIRC this was addressed in one episode of TNG.

Cougar

i would have had more respect if they had kept it “old tech” and copied KIRK era

It’s a bit of a dichotomy. You can’t make a show in 2017 that looks like it was filmed in the 60s. It might please the Trek nerds but outside of fandom it’d be watched by about six viewers. Yet it’s a prequel, so should be lower tech. Enterprise suffered badly from this at times.

I can see how they could get away with scripting out some of the advanced tech. The spore drive will eventually be consigned to history as “far too dangerous to use ever again.” It kinda makes a mockery of TOS boldly going where no-one has gone before though.

The question I have though is, why create a rod for their back in the first place by setting it ten years before TOS? There’s little in Discovery to prevent it being set later in the timeline (so far at least), unless it’s going to end up being an actual prequel / set-up for TOS.

back2basics
    Free Member

“There’s little in Discovery to prevent it being set later in the timeline”
    thats a good point @Cougar – didnt think of it like that

the only way i can see the spore drive never coming into historical timeline is they all die and /or the ship is lost because so far only that ship has it and the Captain seems keen to keep it away from the federation.

thats assuming they dont transmit thier data/logs back to federation on how its all working of course, which would also be a bit ridiculous…

scotroutes

I was thinking that the mycelium network would somehow be destroyed as part of the plot.

Cougar

(aside, I’ve edited the thread title to better reflect the discussion)

martinhutch

It always amazes me how Trekkies, despite watching a show, which, from the outset, has been packed with stuff mainly designed to save on production costs, have managed to turn all its weaknesses into some kind of mythology which transcends mere ‘entertainment’. Sitting around for hours talking about moral dilemmas in TNG, good. Kirk knocking out/kissing various bipedal aliens, good. Slight misinterpretation of Klingon dialect – BURN HIM!

And then spend hours picking apart the relative plausibility of each variant.

I reckon Abrams blew up Vulcan just for shits and giggles with this in mind. Take that, Star Trek canon timeline!

I quite enjoy the latest one. Suspension of disbelief is a pretty obvious qualifier for Trek, though.

dazh

Loving the critics. It’s Start Trek FFS, of course it’s preposterous. Not nearly as contrived and unbelievable as Star Wars mind you. At least they’ve made some effort to explain/justify the tech and don’t have all-powerful mystical forces enabling magic powers.

Anyway, I love it. Very much like the darker approach. Early on the klingons were somewhat annoying but this thing about Voq transforming himself into Tyler is properly sinister. They’ve done a superb job with Tilly too. They’ve also learned the lessons from TNG, DS9 and Voyager by not having a pompous ‘rules are rules’ federation zombie captain and Isaacs is brilliant as Lorca. The mycelium drive is ridiculous, but is it any worse than a Heisenberg compensator?

Cougar

Take that, Star Trek canon timeline!

Yeah. It was a savvy way of ditching a load of baggage so they’re free to do what they want without some poindexter whining that they’re using phasers two years before they were invented or something.

Suspension of disbelief is a pretty obvious qualifier for Trek, though.

Suspension of disbelief is a requirement for any sci-fi show, but any show still has to be internally consistent. If it sets rules then it should follow them, otherwise it pulls you out of the viewing experience. (There are of course notable exceptions to this, Doctor Who and Red Dwarf jump to mind.)

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s Start Trek FFS, of course it’s preposterous.

That’s why I don’t watch Star Trek generally. I started with this because it looked like it was going to be better, then I became very disappointed.

Not nearly as contrived and unbelievable as Star Wars mind you. At least they’ve made some effort to explain/justify the tech and don’t have all-powerful mystical forces enabling magic powers.

Star Wars isn’t sci-fi, it’s fantasy, which is why it doesn’t need to explain anything, and why it’s actually better for not doing so and why the attempt in Ep1 was so egregious. See also Highlander 2.

At least they’ve made some effort to explain/justify the tech

No, they haven’t.

For example – if, in an alternate universe, the course of history has diverged so much, and people with different qualities therefore succeed, why is the alternate ship still full of the same people?

The mycelium drive is ridiculous

Most plausible thing in it, to me.

As absurd as FTL travel and that 99.9999% of all intelligent species are bipedal?*

Much more so. Those things can be explained and extrapolated from principles or at least one chance discovery.

martinhutch

some poindexter

Did you watch Police Academy last night? 🙂

back2basics
    Free Member

Police Academy

well at least its written better than this show!

next trick in the book will be a looping time travel episode. oh no wait…..

Cougar

Did you watch Police Academy last night?

Hah! No, I’m not quite sure where that came from.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I’m really starting to enjoy it quite a lot. Last night’s was properly dark. It feels more like BSG than Star Trek.

That’s always been my problem with this and the reboot films. It’s all lost the essence of what Star Trek was and Roddenbery’s vision.

I love the reboot BSG and darker style mature stories and arcs. STD could be Game of Thrones in space and I’d love that. Just not with the Trek name and characters.

Cougar

How do you feel about the last two seasons of DS9?

back2basics
    Free Member

it will probably:
    a) get picked up for season 2 and then wobble along with ever poorer ratings
    b) revamp some new sexier crew members and go more extreme to try and “crank up the drama”
    c) cross/gather characters and plots for the other Star Trek series to pull in ratings
    d) end S2 on some form of massive cliffhanger that “….will change the star trek universe for everrrrrrrrrrr….” (s2 ending promo trailer)
    e) never get renewed after that

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s all lost the essence of what Star Trek was and Roddenbery’s vision.

That happened after series 1 of original Trek, didn’t it?

PJM1974
    Free Member

From what I read, much of Roddenberry’s vision for the original series was endless parades of young women wearing not a great deal.

martinhutch

It’s all lost the essence of what Star Trek was and Roddenbery’s vision.

Three female starship captains so far in Discovery. Not sure that would chime with Roddenbery’s ‘vision’. 🙂

Cougar

Are you forgetting Voyager?

martinhutch

Not at all, but to condemn this one (and the reboots) for losing this Roddenbery ‘spirit of Trek’ is like saying that the reboot of BSG lost the beautiful spirit of the original.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    How do you feel about the last two seasons of DS9?

A fair point. Not so great.

martinhutch – Member
    is like saying that the reboot of BSG lost the beautiful spirit of the original.

At least it was a plain reboot, not trying to fit into existing timelines while ripping everything up and not fitting in at all. Far better to just utterly ignore what was and start afresh, or set it way off in the future so everything can be funky new modern and different because everything’s changed in the future.

Or just ditch the Trek name anyway and make the sci-fi that it really wants to be without the baggage of the name just to try to pull in audiences.

The films for example were really just a vehicle for JJ to do Star Wars. He didn’t even like Star Trek, so made a reboot Trek that was Star Wars in style, and sure enough gets the job on Star Wars.

Or, George Lucas making Star Wars when really he wanted to make Flash Gordon but couldn’t get the rights to it 😉

Cougar

A fair point. Not so great.

Interesting. I thought they were probably ST’s finest moment.

Or just ditch the Trek name anyway and make the sci-fi that it really wants to be without the baggage of the name just to try to pull in audiences.

It could quite easily have been reframed as something non-Trek. But as you say, there’s an immediate audience draw if the name is involved.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

The ongoing story was good in general, although I think the show was never really designed for that kind of thing and the attempts to mix in some fun and distractions got tedious (Vic Fontaine, again!) or downright stupid (Quark stories especially the sex change one) or boring (bloody baseball episode). The ending was a bit meh.

A shame as I love DS9. No real dislike for them, just I though the show was stronger in earlier seasons. Also 6 was better than 7.

scotroutes

DS9 is the one Trek series I sort of missed. I missed a few episodes so the longer story arcs didn’t work and I gave up on it.

Might revisit it on Netflix.

dazh

Me too. The Dominion war was the best thing to happen to Trek since the Borg. It also was when Trek went down a darker more serious path and binned all the federation utopian moralising (I’m not a huge fan of the federation as you might have guessed). Voyager continued in this vein and it culminated in the epic 3rd series of Enterprise and the war with the Xindi (although the rest of it was shite). Seems to me Discovery is a natural extension of these plotlines in previous series.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think it’s getting good.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Might revisit it on Netflix

I’ve been watching it, it’s terrible. A trekkie from work was also lambasting the new series so I decided to watch DS9 which I hadn’t really watched before. I was halfway through S2 and gave up.

I couldn’t give two hoots about canon or timeline blah blah blah. ST D has been entertaining, I look forward to each episode and whilst not perfect has eclipsed everything else ST that I’ve watched.

Cougar

I decided to watch DS9 which I hadn’t really watched before. I was halfway through S2 and gave up.

Yeah, the first season is tripe, and the second season isn’t much better. It does improve though.

it culminated in the epic 3rd series of Enterprise and the war with the Xindi (although the rest of it was shite)

I stopped watching Enterprise a couple of episodes into the second series (IIRC). I didn’t know about this – Is it worth persevering with then?

hoodoo
    Free Member

Anyone think that the mycelium drive sounded like the infinite improbability drive?

bikebouy
    Free Member

For the hard of thinking and googling (me) please tell me what channel it’s on, ya.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Star: Trek: Discovery’ is closed to new replies.