Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 281 total)
  • Star: Trek: Discovery
  • thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

I have been in and out of ST for many years, watched intermittently all the series apart from Enterprise which passed me by for some reason. More of a Star Wars addict when younger. A few months ago I revisited Next Generation. God, that has not aged well. At least Discovery feels modern, and I wait for each new episode. Detractors can watch the older series if they need a Star Trek fix.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Im quite liking ST D something a little differnt if not samey

As for ST DS9 that was simply brilliant at times , Might have to go and relive “In the Pale Moonlight” < this was defining

thomasthetankengine
    Free Member

I like the darker theme going on.

Cougar

For the hard of thinking and googling (me) please tell me what channel it’s on, ya.

Netflix.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ta.

dazh

so I decided to watch DS9 which I hadn’t really watched before. I was halfway through S2 and gave up.

Aargh! you watched all the sh*t ones then gave up just before it got good! Start from the last episode of series 2 when they discover the Jem Hadar and the existence of the Dominion, skip any episodes that are about Jake Sisko (even more annoying than Wesley bloody Crusher!) and Major Kira (especially the tiresome ones about her and Odo later on) and you’ll be fine 🙂

I didn’t know about this – Is it worth persevering with then?

Yes, definitely. The entire series is one story line which is the war with the Xindi following an attack on earth by an unknown super-weapon. It starts with the last episode of Series 2. There are a couple of duff episodes but otherwise it’s brilliant and they throw out all the starfleet regulations and go all wild-west.

All this talk of ST is making me want to repeat my TNG -> Enterprise start to finish view-a-thon. Took me 6 months last time. Not sure I could take many of the TNG episodes now*. Apart from the ones where Picard gets tortured* 😀

*As thomas says, it really hasn’t aged well. Even the episode where they discover the Borg is a bit annoying. I think it’s the cheesy background music

**And the one where they discover Scotty on a Dyson sphere which has to be the greatest TNG episode ever.

sirromj

All this talk of ST is making me want to repeat my TNG -> Enterprise start to finish view-a-thon. Took me 6 months last time.

I recently thought to do the same after watching the Orville rekindled fond memories of watch TNG on BBC2 at 6pm or whatever on Tuesdays or Thursdays (or both, or was it DS9, or both!?). Only managed to get halfway through the pilot episode. Might give it another go.

Really enjoyed the latest episode of Discovery.

Cougar

you watched all the sh*t ones then gave up just before it got good!

This.

Even the episode where they discover the Borg is a bit annoying.

Isn’t that the first episode?

FuzzyWuzzy

I kind of agree Discovery doesn’t really have much to do with Star Trek (or at least could have been entirely separate but was just loosely tied in for the extra viewers). Why did they change the Klingon look so much as well? It’s not bad it’s just strange (the Andorians and Vulcans look pretty much the same as in other ST series).

dazh

Isn’t that the first episode?

No the first one was that hideous farpoint thing with alien that was being oppressed into being a space station, and Q putting humanity on trial which brought out the worst of picard’s federation moralising.

Cougar

No the first one was that hideous farpoint thing with alien that was being oppressed into being a space station, and Q putting humanity on trial which brought out the worst of picard’s federation moralising.

I’m muddling the two then. They meet the Borg when Picard tells Q they’re ready for anything, and Q goes “you reckon?” I thought that was Encounter At Farpoint, but now you mention it I remember the trial stuff.

It’s a while since I watched it (though I do have it on Laserdisc…)

deadkenny
    Free Member

TNG takes a bit to settle in, though there are some early classics in the first few seasons. S4 onwards it gets good.

TOS on the other hand goes downhill after the first season (and certainly the third).

DS9, from when the Jem’Hadar are introduced gets good. A bit meh about the last two, certainly the last. Should have just gone all out with the one story the whole series and a much bigger ending, though I get the feeling they were hoping for a movie spin off.

VOY is consistently meh all along and some stinkers. Though it’s averagely watchable. The Fair Haven stuff… good god, no! Worse than Vic Fontaine in repeated annoyance and pointlessness. Has a candidate for all time worst ever Trek episode as well, at least to me, 11:59. Zero to do with Star Trek and is at best a boring daytime telly snoozefest.

ENT – Only pre-JJ series I’ve not been interested in buying on DVD/Blu Ray and not re-watched. It got some good ones later on and had potential, but I just wish it had never tried to fit in as a prequel. It restricted it and didn’t fit anyway. Maybe it will grow on me with a re-watch.

retro83
    Free Member

One word: Threshold. 😀

Cougar

VOY is consistently meh all along and some stinkers. Though it’s averagely watchable.

Objection. The Species 8472 plotline was great.

Though it’s completely offset by Naomi Wildman and the rest of the rescued families they took on board. That was bilge.

Cougar

Aside, have you seen Naomi Wildman these days? She’s a bit, erm, well…

deadkenny
    Free Member

retro83 – Member
    One word: Threshold.

A fair point. It’s ridiculous, though not unbearably watchable.

Cougar – Moderator
    Objection. The Species 8472 plotline was great.

Briefly, then they turned them into shape shifters that can look human and all made friends. Star Trek always had a problem with truly nasty aliens, especially non humanoid. Though can understand they were a problem being worse than the Borg which diminished the Borg.

And yeah, Naomi now! 😯

Cougar

Good point, well made. Was fun while it lasted though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno if anyone’s pointed this out yet but I’ve just been informed the Ash character is actually Clem Fandango!

Clem Fandango hits warp speed!

Toast would make a hell of a Star Trek captain, eh?

dazh

Star Trek always had a problem with truly nasty aliens, especially non humanoid

I always thought the crystalline entity was an opportunity missed. Had it attacked earth they could have got at least half a series out of it.

househusband

Wasn’t expecting that..!

(Just watched today’s episode; 12, I think?)

Cougar

Ep12, yes.

And, holy shit!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve enjoyed the whole series without over analysing and sucking the fun out of it but ep12 was superb.

Cougar

I said it earlier, but this is shaping up to be this decade’s BSG.

Also, wasn’t it so so pretty in places? The outer shots of the

Spoiler:
    big spaceship

was stunning.

And I dropped my Kobayashi Porcelain mug.

martinhutch

That was a cracking episode.

And I dropped my Kobayashi Porcelain mug.

You’ll Maru the day you did that.

IGMC.

Cougar

I’ll just leave this here.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Defiant_(NCC-1764)

You’ll Maru the day you did that.

Well played.

wilburt
    Free Member

Original and the latest I like, the rest meh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice twist 🙂
    Nice to be kicking out the black and white morality, lots of internal conflict going on now

dazh

Gonna have to watch it again tonight as that episode was crazy. Too much to take in at the end. In fact I might just start again from the start.

Are we doing spoilers on here?

househusband

Gonna have to watch it again tonight as that episode was crazy. Too much to take in at the end. In fact I might just start again from the start.

Ditto – was thinking that just this morning!

I’d prefer it if there wasn’t!

back2basics
    Free Member

one things for sure, these eps are not going to be a terrestial weekday rerun at 5pm for kids…..

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Aye, wasn’t expecting that at all!

footflaps

>Wasn’t expecting that..!

yep, just watched it last night, cracking plot twist!

Cougar

Spoiler:
    i don’t see why not… (-:
    PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m waiting to see the actual USS Defiant…I can imagine that when/if it does grace our screens, the Trek afficionados will be going nuts if it doesn’t look like the original Enterprise, equally if it does look a bit Fisher Price then there will be equal amounts of outrage.

Got to love Trek fans.

dazh

So I was just reading some stuff about psilocybin and it’s potential benefits for people with mental illness and I randomly came across this 🙂

Cougar

That took me a second…

dazh

And I thought I over-analysed star trek

Another great episode this week, although they seem to be in a hurry with the plot. They could have strung everything that happened this week into at least 3 episodes, and probably should have done. I had to watch the previous episode 3 times to fully register what the hell was going on, this one’s going to need a repeat too.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

There’s one thing that’s bugging me without actively trying to over-analyze, unless I did just miss something because everything is travelling at warp speed. How did Lorca infiltrate star fleet? Did he work his way up from the bottom over a period of fifteen years until he was captain? Got a fake ID? Killed his alternate self and took his place? I’m guessing the last is the only feasible answer.

vintagewino
    Free Member

Also what happened to ‘mirror’ Lorca and also mirror Burnham? Are they already dead (probably not I suppose).

vintagewino
    Free Member

can’t edit my post above to remove Lorca comment…

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Star: Trek: Discovery’ is closed to new replies.