Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • stainburn forest???????
  • thedyslexic1
    Free Member

i have seen a couple of videos and it looks orite. but is it any good to ride, and is it just a fly round then a all day ride?

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Definately NOT a fly round ……

( unless you have wings ! )

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Lots of techy fun but not very long. Certainly worth a visit though!

carlosg
    Free Member

http://www.singletraction.co.uk/index.php

Plenty of info here.

the warren boulder tail is pretty full on with hard techy bits everywhere , there’s a descent line thats do-able on a HT , a pump track and a more normal xc route. Non of the routes are particularly long but there’s definitely enough to fill a day.

No onsite facilities but it’s only a short drive to Otley for food/pub/cafe.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Some video that Pook off here kindly did for SingletrAction. gives a idea of what’s there.
    Warren Boulder Trail (riders:Knacker, jason(mugboo), one of pooks pals)
    [video]http://vimeo.com/10976671[/video]
    Red Trail, Descent Line and Norwood natural trails (riders: simon, chase and tomdb)
    [video]http://vimeo.com/10282487[/video]

Chase
    Free Member

It’s easily a mornings or afternoons riding.
    Go with an open mind, especially on the Boulder Trail. If you don’t get it all at first don’t worry. Session sections. You might go away from your first visit a bit disapointed if you don’t ride it all. Return another day – it will make you a better rider.
    Warm up on the Red Loop first.
    Don’t miss the natural stuff through the gate over the road from the car park in Norwood. Not signed but you should find the trails.

The vids above are really good examples of what to expect. The top vid is clearly noted as the Boulder Trail. The bottom vid highlights the Red Loop and Norwood (and i’m in the beige shorts in that one 😉 )

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

chase ion the last part of the video is that on the norwood side? and you are right on the way back we was gisburn is better but it looks like we havent found the good stuff so next should be better and is the boulder track the one which goes through down the forest?

carlosg
    Free Member

warren boulder trail exits directly from the car park , cross the road and through the wooden gate for the old xc trails.

Simon

thedyslexic1 – Member
    chase ion the last part of the video is that on the norwood side

From 1.37 through to 3.47 is all Norwood. Best to have an explore or better still go along with someone that knows their way around the woods.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

looks like we have miss all the stuff out over the road then…but is the seesaw across the road? all the people i go with have never ridden it and after spending nearly hours tryin to find it we where short on time. as it is no where near stainburn!!!!!!

Simon

See-saw is at the lowest point of the Boulder Trail, towards the end of the “north shore” section.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Stainburn village is miles away, also, Stainburn car park is at the other end of the forest (another classic mistake people make), the correct car park is called Norwood Edge.
    It sounds like you didn’t find very much, if you missed the seesaw, presumably you missed the whole warren boulder trail.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

we couldnt find the northshore bit. which we when for!!!!! so i thing we set off in the wrong place then as there whas a short bit of red trail ( mins ride) then we found a pump track near where we set off and a track goin down the wood. but nothing long.

Simon

For anyone else planning on visiting Stainburn’s trails have a look at this map first, you want to head for the red circle and park in the car park there.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

iv’e done a few dig days there and just been today and to be honest, not that impressed. It doesn’t flow very well and it feels like things have just been slapped together on some of the trails. Wouldn’t make a special trip out to get there but maybe if you were in the area etc.

it may just be me but go yourself and have a look, why not?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member
    IanMmmm
    Free Member

Simon – quite an old satellite photo that I guess? Hasn’t a lot of it been clear cut now?

Simon

Yep, it’s an old image, as you say big chunks of the wood have been clear felled since it was taken.
    Satellite view on Google maps is the same.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

big-chief-96 it is luke!!!!

taka
    Free Member

ahhh

you changed your name

cunning 8)

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

no i just wanted my own profile after useing your random 1 for the last 2 years

big-chief-96
    Free Member

anyway, what I said still stands 😐

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

big-chief, for sure it’s not everybodys cup of tea. alot of people turn up for ‘a ride out’, expecting a trail centre like dalby or Gisburn, but the Forest is so small, if it was built like Dalby or Gisburn, the ride would be over in 15 minutes. It’s built as a series of testing rock and wood obsticles with trail inbetween.

The descent line should be a bit of relief from the slow speed techy stuff, but has spots which kill your momentum, I think that’s on the short list to sort out. it was originally built like the rest of Stainburn, with rock obsticals, but I think we have accepted that people want it a bit smoother. Also, some of the other trails have suffered with the traffic of people who are not prepared to ride the obsticals, riding around everything which causes the trail to be lost under a sea of muddy tyre tracks.

Stainburn gets alot of good reviews, but probably just by people who like that sort of riding i.e. play biking, sessioning or whatever you want to call it.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

b a nana the bits i rode was very good just wished i would of found the rest of it and big chief likes long hard rides. 😉

big-chief-96
    Free Member

I like long hard rides because I come out of them hurt because of muscle ache and not from smashing my balls on the top tube and then scraping the side of my leg with the pedals producing an incredibly large amount of blood

I do like some trail centres though

Chase
    Free Member

It doesn’t flow very well

He, he, that old chestnut 🙄

We had some stickers made a couple of years ago to address that problem…

They read…..

‘If you want flow go sit in a river’

😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

big-chief-96 – Member

i … Wouldn’t make a special trip out to get there

i however, definitely would, it’s ace. i think it’s (probably) unique.

Pook

How do all!!

I was riding in them too (i NAIL the see saw at the end) As is Tom dB from STW towers.

Stainburn is fantastic – a really fun, techy place to ride

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I don’t have much to add as this is all fairly familiar territory / comments about the trail I’ve been involved in building (with many of the other contributors to this thread) for several years.

It is a marmite-type place though, which is more a result of rider-preference than on its design or quality of construction. It isn’t for everyone or a repetition of a “traditional” trail centre format. In my opinion it’s the better for that.

If it was your first visit I’d suggest going back again for another try. Once the mind starts adjusting to the way it needs to be ridden things often start to get easier / more fun (for those that like that kind of thing).

😎

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

that is quite a good one chase and are any of you up there most weekends as we got losted and didnt find the noreshore?

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

There’s a volunteer trailbuilding day on Sunday and there’ll be plenty of people around to ask directions / get pointers. Brief details here:

http://singletraction.frankencrank.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3345

However, one of the jobs includes work to the NS so that will be closed for some of the day.

This is a relatively accurate map of the trails on the same side of the car park (Norwood Edge car park just off the Pateley Bridge Road (B6451):

[imghttp://www.singletraction.co.uk/projects/Stainburn/maps/map-spon.jpg[/img]. The NS is in the bottom RH corner of the map. If you’re in the car park, head out between the two large marker posts and bear left into the deep, dark woods (on the black trail). There’s plenty of markers and trail to follow after that.

Pook

Get involved in the dig days – they’re great fun…

[video]http://www.vimeo.com/10378879[/video]

🙂

Simon

Here’s the trail map.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Durrrr! typist failure on my part 😉

Cheers Si

robdob
    Free Member

I like it – no it doesn’t have that roller coaster feel to it, but it is unique. And very challenging. The only trail centre I’ve been to with black uphill sections! Lots of bits that have you scratching your head wondering how on earth you are going to ride them. One to do with friends with an aim to get everyone to clear each section. Very different and all the better for it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like the trails, and variety in purpose built trails generally.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

is the northshore the right hand side of the car park? (on the map!!) i think trail centres which flow you no what is round the corner but these keep you awake!!!

Simon

No. Follow the black line from the car park to the southern most point and the northshore is here.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

simon are you involed in the dig days as i would like to come along :mrgreen:

Simon

I do a bit of trailbuilding at Stainburn, but I won’t be there this Sunday as I’m working.

New faces are always welcome at trail building days. People generally meet up in the car park at 10am.
    Have a look at the SingletrAction website for more details http://www.singletraction.co.uk/index.php

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘stainburn forest???????’ is closed to new replies.