• This topic has 119 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • SSUK 2013 – was awesomnez, a huge Thank You.
  • mattbee

Definately want to do it again. Highlight of the year for us, we are going back to California Barn to stay for a few days next week as we loved the area so much.
    Not bothered what the course is like but the format of the event was perfect. Sme thing with a different name fine by me. Only change I’d suggest is maybe getting a Square & Compass pastie voucher instead of hog roast?

mattjg
    Free Member

Charlie I’d say take a rest and come back in a couple of years, let’s try other parts of the country, and give yourself a break too, let someone else do the lifting.

Surrey would make a great venue riding wise, we have masses of trails and it’s perfect for SS, a bit more forested rolling XC than the big ups big downs of Purbeck. The problem I can’t find an answer for is this is stockbroker belt not an area that depends on tourism, so there is almost no camping.

BTW it’s a nice time for a family holiday for anyone with pre-school kids. We rented a house in Poole and after Monday had the beaches and attractions to ourselves.

charliedontsurf

Matt it’s not a big deal to organise again.
    I’m not talking about doing SSUK again, that went to taz in Birmingham for 2014.
    Surrey is cool, I grew up just over the border in Alton, used to ride frencham and devils punch bowl area. Get a plan together, have a word with taz and let’s go to Surrey in 2015.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ll chat to my crew and have a think about it, accommodation and venues are the issue, and they’ll be busy on a bank holiday anyway round here so probably disinclined to go an extra mile.

There’s no shortage of good riding though, including some fun purpose-built bike trails, and access by road and rail is good.

Our patch is Surrey Hills http://www.surreyhills.org/

belugabob
    Free Member

Matt,

How about this place?

Etherley Farm

Looks fairly similar to California Barn (but with showers) and is right on the trails.
    Further investigation required, methinks.

Cheezpleez

I’d definitely be up for a return to Daaaarzet in 2014 😀

And .. hmmmm … a Surrey Hills SSUK in 2015 … I’m sure we could find a farm with a spare field and a couple of Portaloos

mattjg
    Free Member

Not ‘my side’ of the hill but good job. There are pubs over that side too, tho I don’t know them.

Kings Head at Holmbury are usually cool with us despite being covered in filfth and may be affable to being a ‘venue’. Nice rear garden. They’re certainly who I’d ask first.

oxym0r0n

Nice to meet Oxymoron & the Quantock crew as well as lots of others whose forum names I don’t know

😀

charliedontsurf

Well mit looks like we educated Eric Sov in some form or another.

http://networkedblogs.com/L9LLQ

nedrapier

Mark me down for a couple of spots at IDIOT Club 2014 and SSUrreyhillsK 2015.

I might have taken the other 26 gears off mrs. rapier’s bike by then, too!

Del

Charlie’s Honourable Order of Dorset?

mattjg
    Free Member

and SSUrreyhillsK 2015.

Oh dear it seems this ball is rolling.

paging ybot, we need u and your special local knowledge buddy. Camping on Coldharbour cricket pitch?

Cheezpleez

This is good . 2015 being organised before 2014. Seems in keeping

Cheezpleez

😆

tazzymtb

2014 is well in hand bands booze and curry sorted 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Curry’s easy Dorking has about 6 Taj Mahals.

Booze no problem, 5 micro-breweries within a stone’s throw.

Bands?

ybot
    Free Member

Mattjg – Etherley Farm is the only venue I can think off and its perfectly placed, I even know some of the people involved there. Its got a tril pretty much on the doorstep, short walk / ride to the Parrot at Forest Green and Holmbury, Ockley & Coldharbour all reachable.

Its ownwed by the Natioanl Trust but has a tennant Farmer. Barry and Di have just opened a Eco holiday place there sleeping 20 in pods as well.

Muke
    Free Member

Whose dog was it that added its own special gift to the prize stash in the tent then ? 😯 😀

charliedontsurf

That dog belongs to reverend jack Daniels, who was the fire pit DJ on Friday night.
    I might be called “buster”

Muke
    Free Member

Just seen a couple of videos from Matthew Abbott
    on Youtube…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqBv1U7E8Yw[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuO1Y_hq_kY[/video]

Lost in Dorset with AC/DC and Dropkick Murphys 😀

charliedontsurf

Great vids. Enjoyed that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You caught my ass in both of those vids, I’d like appearance fees please….

Phah, good vids.

Cheezpleez

Good viddage

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Surely 2015’s venue will be decided at Ssuk 2014?
    I’ve heard that the competition to host it will be fiercer than the combination of the eurovision song contest, gladiators and robot wars- arroogah!!

mattjg
    Free Member

We’ve kicked 2015 about a bit in the pub down here (Surrey), there is a notional plan/team forming, but it could very easily be shelved or rolled over to another year. None of us are on a mission.

It’s also been observed that Swanage -> Cannock -> Surrey may be a little too much travelling for our northern brethren, and for balance 2015 could be up norf.

If anyone wants to step up I say why delay?

ontor
    Free Member

There’s a half-baked Devon event ready to go now too, was going to chuck hat in for 2015 but it too can wait.

Keef
    Free Member

SSUK2015 will be decided at SSUK2014,as tradition dictates…..
    turn up,shout up ! 😉

Del

2014 is up norf!

mattjg
    Free Member

DEVON DEVON DEVON!

mattjg
    Free Member

2014 is up norf!

Is it ****, I’m from Surrey and even I know ‘Midlands’ isn’t norf.

Midlands is the flat bit in the middle, where they never have any weather.

ontor
    Free Member

It was nearly put up for 2014 but I thought south then souther would be a bit much. Besides, it ought to go to taz next year. Haldon would be the main venue with an option for a short* ride over the moor.

Anywhere north of the South Downs is monsters and glaciers surely?

*not everyone has the same idea of short…

Del

if it’s north of taunton it’s the north. pretty sure we’ve been over this and a potty-mouth won’t make it any less true matt. 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

I think a more useful distinction is “Home Counties” (me) and “Provinces” (all of you lot).

mattjg
    Free Member

I propose:

proper Norf 2015
    Devon 2016

leaving it to at least April 2017 before I have to lift a finger

Muke
    Free Member

Anyone considering SSEC 2014 in Northern Ireland next year ?

Keef
    Free Member

few of us ‘Midlanders’ thinking of making a family holiday of it….

MrSparkle

Anyone considering SSEC 2014 in Northern Ireland next year ?

Oh yes. Hopefully the Darwen contingent will be in attendance.

mattjg
    Free Member

it looks a bit like a proper competition to me

Muke
    Free Member

it looks a bit like a proper competition to me

Hopefully not too serious, I was also thinking of a family mini break.

Muke
    Free Member

😯 Holy thread resurrection

but just found 3 clips of the SSUK Poet on my sd card… Jeremy Clarkson,The Queen and David Cameron

Jeremy Clarkson

The Queen

David Cameron

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘SSUK 2013 – was awesomnez, a huge Thank You.’ is closed to new replies.