Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SRAM X7 shifters.
  • widge34
    Free Member

My SRAM X7 shifters keep sticking if bike hasn’t been used for a day or so. Is this a common fault with these shifters? What are the possible solutions to stop it?

PJM1974
    Free Member

When was the last time you swapped the cables?

It might be worth spraying inside the shifter cable port with some GT 85.

widge34
    Free Member

Cables are a couple of months old. Have tried spraying GT 85 doesn’t seem to help. Don’t really want to take the shifters apart. Too many little springs to lose.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

The x7 and below are naughty little buggers if you open them up..

widge34
    Free Member

Yes, so I’ve heard. Wondering whether to switch to Shimano as my old bike had XT rear mech and Deore shifters and never had a problem or upgrade to X9 shifters.

gee
    Free Member

They’re just a bit crap. X9 are the same. Either buy some X0 or get Shimano!

imp999
    Free Member

I found that if I gave the unit a good blast of GT80 and then undid & tightened the allen bolt underneath several times (Not too tight when you finish) then this seemed to fix the jamming.

Not sure what I am doing but it worked for me.
    And yes, there is a lot going on in them shifters when you get the top off them.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I really rate my X9 shifters.. cable changes can be fiddly though, but … I bought X9 for both bikes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Getting X9 shifters apart is a nightmare. Putting them back again is even worse.

There are guides out there to help though.

ChrisE
    Free Member

had a set of X9s for 5+ years. Had no problems whatsoever. Use Middleburn oilers and that sems to keep things sweet. I would certainly recomend them.

The 1:1 is far superior to Shimano (1:2)

C

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I agree. I like that 1:1 requires virtually no regular tuning/calibration of the barrel adjusters.. in this regard I appreciate it for increased repeatability, consistency..

I still use a Shimano front mech though and cranks.

I have had no problems with my X9 shifters either, I like how they feel, I appreciate the fact you can remove the cover with a little thumbscrew so you can, if you want, apply a little more light grease to the mechanism..

I had X5 previous to X9. I gave up trying to re-assemble the X5 I disassembled. Life’s too short.

I am also a huge fan of Middleburn cable oilers. I have 3 sets. People talk nonsense when they claim these are unnecessary or a cause of gummed up cables. They are brilliant. They allow lubricant to get into the shifters and cables and they blast out crap. They make cables last a long time. My last set I fitted 5mm cable oilers to 4.5mm Jagwire cable using neatly cut heatshrink sleeves. Looks very classy, brown and gold braided cables, brass coloured oilers with black heatshrink sleeves.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SRAM X7 shifters.’ is closed to new replies.