Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • SRAM NX..
  • Mackem

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-announces-nx-1×11-drivetrain-2016.html

Cheap, no changing of hubs needed, wide-range, looks a winner to me.

LS
    Free Member

155mm cranks, 28t chainring and an 11-42 cassette is perfect for children’s bikes. Nice work.

woodster

Bargain.

155 cranks for the short folk/kids too.

Cassette’s a little porky, but guess it’s all steel which is nice if you like to use the granny.

cokie

Another great groupset by Sram! They really are stealing the upper MTB market.
    I like the fact that they’ve now got a conventional freehub cassette available too. All bases covered.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

to me, the one off cost of a freehub body isnt so much an issue
    ~£50 for the body, but the ~100 for cassette and chain of GX is an issue…
    if they bought out a 10-42 nx cassette, then i could move towards the ideal cost/performance option of…

XTR shifter
    SLX mech (gotta be out soon ish right) or better Zee
    Sram 10-42 cassette

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

150g heavier than M8000 XT cassette, which is already ‘not light’? For the same price?

I’m not exactly a weight weenie, but I’d rather run a cassette that weighed in less than 1.2lb, and assuming that’s all steel, will need a steel freehub too, adding another chunk of weight!

Northwind

It’s almost £10 cheaper at list prices, so it’ll depend on discounting as much as anything else. But I suppose it’s a competitor for the deore or maybe SLX that doesn’t yet exist, mostly. It does have wider range though, Shimano having inexplicably screwed that up.

deviant
    Free Member

Meh, looks cheap and nasty….i’ll be going XT-11-speed on my next build.

jonnyrockymountain

i’ll stick to XX1

kimbers

does look cheap, considering how quickly my x7 mech fell apart I suspect this may not be that great vfm!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It does have wider range though, Shimano having inexplicably screwed that up.

Unless I missread it, 11-42, same as XT?

Be interesting to see if shimano do trickle it down to Deore level, on the road they kept 10s at the bottom end mostly because at that level your mostly selling to customers who don’t know/care about the subtleties of a 2×11 with compact and 12-25 or a super compact and 12-27.

At 540g though, I’d rather go 2×10, is there any weight saving at that?

deviant
    Free Member

The rear mech looks laughably badly made….like a school metal work project!

dmorts

The rear mech looks laughably badly made….like a school metal work project, bleugh

Looks fine and functional to me…..

JackHammer

does look cheap, considering how quickly my x7 mech fell apart I suspect this may not be that great vfm!

My thoughts exactly, the Sram mech on my process died died soo quickly. Wasnt your usually into the wheel suicide bid either, all the pivots just went slack and consequently it/I suffered from ghost shifting up and down the cassette.

Although that was 10speed…

Northwind

hisisnotaspoon – Member

Unless I missread it, 11-42, same as XT?

You’re right, I’m talking pish- I thought there was only a 40T

kimbers

Wasnt your usually into the wheel suicide bid either, all the pivots just went slack and consequently it/I suffered from ghost shifting up and down the cassette

ha! mine did exactly that then the 2nd did it again and launched itself into the spokes

tbf sram very good with warranty tho

just5minutes
    Free Member

so basically it’s got less gears, is more expensive and much heavier than a double chainset alternative at the same price point…?

deviant
    Free Member

That’s about the long and short of it….but but there’s less ‘clutter’ on the bars….and and….nah, it’s fashion led at this stage.

The argument about clutter is nonsense, in this age of 740-800mm bars are people really struggling to fit a front shifter on there!?….the weight thing I can understand, if the bike is light to begin with and the rider is svelte too….otherwise you’re just clutching at straws by trying to save a few hundred grams when you’re several stone overweight and riding a 30lb+ bike!

I’m leaning toward the new XT 11-speed stuff as it’s cheap enough that building up an SLX and XT 2×10 drivetrain will likely now be the more expensive option, if I save some weight that’s a bonus….but this NX toss with its 550g cassette is a joke.

dmorts

That’s about the long and short of it….but but there’s less ‘clutter’ on the bars….and and….nah, it’s fashion led at this stage.

1×11 is a lot simpler to a beginners/novices/children than 3×9 or 2×10.

EDIT: Also on cold winter night rides, I find the first thing to freeze up is the front mech. Looking forward to ditching it. Think I will go XT 1×11 though

daver27
    Free Member

This looks like SRAM attempting to gain more OEM builds than aftermarket.
    In the aftermarket area, i can’t see anyone being mad enough to buy this over XT when its basically the same price, especially as they’ve done away with the one redeeming feature of SRAM 11speed, the 10t cog. Lets not forget XT is the range equivalent of X01 and is far better built than Anything SRAM has put out, pretty much ever..

chakaping
    Free Member

i can’t see anyone being mad enough to buy this over XT

In a nutshell

otsdr
    Free Member

Lets not forget XT is the range equivalent of X01 and is far better built than Anything SRAM has put out, pretty much ever..

Oh wow, fanboy much? XT has just been launched, it has yet to prove how “far better built” it is. But you just know…

daver27
    Free Member

Says the SRAM fanboy backing up a just announced groupset… Xt has been out for months. And yeah, some of us are lucky enough to know…

Northwind

daver27 – Member

This looks like SRAM attempting to gain more OEM builds than aftermarket.

Yup. But then, it’s a bit weird because for OEMs switching freehubs is pretty much a no-cost option. And sure, this cassette’s cheaper than the cheapest XG cassette but from SRAM’s point of view it’d be better to tie people to their funky freehub than to have people come to replacement/upgrade time and find the best replacement is Shimano…

woodster

Yup. But then, it’s a bit weird because for OEMs switching freehubs is pretty much a no-cost option. And sure, this cassette’s cheaper than the cheapest XG cassette but from SRAM’s point of view it’d be better to tie people to their funky freehub than to have people come to replacement/upgrade time and find the best replacement is Shimano…

I suspect it’s a lot cheaper to make than the very nicely engineered GX job. The price to OEMs will be so much lower than we’re seeing that it would make an xD cassette unfeasible.

rone

My Gx rear mech collapsed in a few weeks. Back on x01.

kelvin

1x …

it’s not about saving weight

it’s not about having too many bar mounts

it is about giving riders the gears they need to have fun off road with minimum legacy complications

cookeaa

Oh wow, fanboy much? XT has just been launched, it has yet to prove how “far better built” it is. But you just know…

Well it’s not made by SRAM, so I would say M8000 is off to a flying start already, but I am of course just a fanboi…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Lets not forget XT is the range equivalent of X01 and is far better built than Anything SRAM has put out, pretty much ever..

Yeah that boat anchor cassette is so much better than the XX1/XO1.

That said, I would normally have agreed with good Shimano Vs good SRAM, yet I’m still running the original XX1 shifter & XO1 mech on my bike, and it all refuses to die. All just keeps on working fine. It must have done 7/8000km now. Looks a right mess, but still works fine.

benpinnick

At 30% below XT price I don’t think its a very fair comparison. Its a bit like saying that bike a at £2000 is not a good as bike b at £2800 without considering the cost. Its a big chunk of change. I like NX, its practical, better made than the old X5/X7 stuff its replacing, and offers a genuinely budget option for the mass market.

Sure the cassette is a lump, but you could always run it with an 1150 cassette instead and get the 10T, save a bag load of weight over XT, a better freehub design, better chainline and in current market prices pay close to the same as RRP on the new NX one.

poah
    Free Member

other than the shortish crank its not appealing over buying XT

mindmap3
    Free Member

150g heavier than M8000 XT cassette, which is already ‘not light’? For the same price?

I’m not exactly a weight weenie, but I’d rather run a cassette that weighed in less than 1.2lb, and assuming that’s all steel, will need a steel freehub too, adding another chunk of weight!

That cassette is a massive no no for me at that weight – I’d buy and XT or a Sunrace one.

I can’t say that the cheaper SRAM stuff I’ve had has ever felt OK – even the X9 stuff feels a bit cheap. There’s a big jump up once you get to X0 though (and it lasts better in my experience).

I’m tempted by 11 speed and am struggling to see past XT even as an ex-SRAM fan boy based on cost / ease of upgrade.

hammerite
    Free Member

I managed to cock up the thread on a crank at the weekend swapping pedals over, so decided this would be the point I move to a single chain ring.

Went in to LBS to talk through the options and decided to go for the NX crankset (without really having done any research – hope I’ve not made a mistake judging by some of the posts on here!). I’m not changing anything else yet as I want to get a potentially pricey summer holiday out the way first.

Bike currently has X9 shifters, rear mech and Sram chain. Don’t want to spend a ridiculous amount but don’t want to finish it off with NX kit if it’s not decent quality and won’t last.

Come mid August I’ll be looking to change from 10 speed to 11. Any recommendation of what I should go for?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I’m 8 months into GX with X9 Cranks from 3 years ago.

I’ve replaced one chain in that time which was over the 0.75 mark as I got a bit distracted but the cassette is holding up fine, it seem like a tough one.

According to my strava logs it’s done 1880km (chain replaced at 1800) in a good variety of conditions but mostly summer. Very little love and attention just a hose and lube unless I’ve gone international.

Based on that I’d expect to put another couple of chains over it and get up closer to the 3-4000 mark hopefully.

Range is good, price is good, weight is good. Winner for me.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Well despite me saying that I would struggle to look past XT 11 speed, I ended up with a GX mech and cassette with an X01 shifter and chain and so far I’m really happy with it.

The GX cassette is really nicely made and shifts well too. The GX mech is a bit nasty compared to my previous 10 speed Saint one. I do prefer the ergonomics of the SRAm shifters though.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks both.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘SRAM NX..’ is closed to new replies.