Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • SRAM eagle problem any one experienced it?
  • rumandcoke
    Free Member

Just a quick update my bike has just shattered its 4th Jockey Wheel the bike is 10 weeks old, new chain just fitted on its first free service so that can be ruled out. The bike was also found to have broken fork internals and the dropper jammed on the very last ride. Bike is fantastic but no faith in the Eagle gx rear mech has anyone had problems with the higher spec eagle? Or is it just the Gx?

oldtalent
    Free Member

I have had my gx transmission fitted for a few months. No issues to report apart from it’s a little noisy on the 50 and jumps off the 10 sometimes if I back peddle.

rickmeister

Little bit worried having bought into gx eagle….

Did you use the red chain set up tool?
    Was the shaped quick link on the right way matching the chain travel?

I had a look at the rear mech and the top jockey wheel doesn’t have loads of clearance to the chain and nowhere for it to catch IMHO…. Very little float either.

astormatt
    Free Member

A bit of an update from me, having had the bike back, the mechanic did actually confirm that the mech hanger was bent.
    New hanger, new mech and even though i have only had one ride on it since, it was shifting very well and is still in one piece..
    I will probably head back down to the fod this friday and see how it behaves.

speedstar

I fettle my own bikes but I have never seen a derailleur be so sensitive to the hanger. I have a hanger tool as well but even with the best straightening I could manage the big rings remained a mess when shifting. When I examined the old hanger it was off by maybe a couple of degrees from straight in comparison to the new one but I am sure any other derailleur would have coped. It’s also extremely sensitive to the B-limit setup. i’m assuming due to everything just being slightly narrower.

Great when it’s working well though! Just hoping I don’t go through several hundred derailleur hangers to make it so!

rumandcoke
    Free Member

Bike went in to the shop today, the frame had been checked previously for alignment and the hanger there going to re check the frame, hanger and the gear shifter to see if there’s a tension problem although it would mean it’s intermittent and that would be a mare to find. I’ve been promised no matter what it’s going to be fixed as I have mentioned rejecting the bike.
    Can I ask every one the following questions to find a possible link;
    1. Make and type of bike
    2. Age/miles when failed
    3. What type of trail were you riding when part failed
    4.are you clipped or flat and shoe size

Thanks inadavance

rumandcoke
    Free Member

5. How quick did a replace the fail?

rumandcoke
    Free Member

Whyte s150s
    3 weeks 1st time but average is 5 rides.
    Red route, not that ruff but a few jumps
    Flat size 12 five tens
    From very next ride to 10 rides

astormatt
    Free Member

Whyte 909
    Failed 1st ride 17 miles in.
    Failed 2nd ride 17 miles in.
    Survived 3rd ride.
    Both times i was riding the top part of Launch Pad @ FOD, is that a blue??
    Clipped in, size 10.

rumandcoke
    Free Member

There’s a new hanger just out for the Eagle read into that what you will, the hanger will space the upper jockey wheel further away from the cassette.

Any more profiles would be much appreciated

Slacks
    Free Member

Had this happen to me yesterday. Riding through sloppy mud, cranks suddenly locked and then a crack. Rear mech got pulled into rear wheel and ripped a spoke out, damaged a couple of others. Chain had got wedged between lower jockey wheel and cage. See here:

Link

Been riding it for a few months. I had noticed the cage near to the upper jockey wheel does get very close to the spokes in the 50t. Annoyingly i only just bought a new groupset for another bike as i’d been really pleased with it.

26aintdead

Well back on this thread posting again. After a couple of exploding X01 mechs which after various arguing and delays were replaced under warranty. As a stop gap I bought a GX mech which I fitted in Aug and has been running fine until today when the gears started to jump around and thought some TLC may be required. Further on in the ride I had the same as reported on may occasions including from myself where when descending on rough ground in a low gear the drivetrain would lock up. I now know to stop pedalling IMMEDIATELY otherwise the top jockey wheel would shear off, not great when your having some great fun blasting down a descent you earned after some hard earned pedalling to get to the top of the hill. Hopped off the bike, turned the cranks by hand and it seemed to sort itself out. The third time it happened I had a closer look at the bike and the chain was off the top jockey wheel. Got the bike home and on closer inspection there is so much play in particularly at the top but also the bottom wheel its frightening and the inner cage had been chewed quite a bit from the chain jumping off. Compared this to a new X01 I had in the garage and that has no float at all. Not sure if the jockey wheels on these mechs are different specs but the GX ones are wobbling a lot after 4 months riding. Although you shouldn’t need to, if you could buy replacements for £20-£30 I wouldn’t mind so much but I can’t find replacements anywhere. So the option is to buy a new mech every 4 months because your jockey wheels are goosed, what a joke SRAM, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Price drop on GX mechs £70 so annual spend on mechs £210 due to some very premature wear on some plastic wheels.

Kryton57
    chilled76
    Free Member

Is this happening on hardtail too or is it limited to bikes with chain growth i.e full suspension?

mlltt

Anyone got a link for the jockey wheels that are non SRAM? Preferably the ‘pimp alloy ones’?

Ta

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone work in the trade able to shed some light on this, how wide spread is this issue? If you sell bikes with GX Eagle on, how many are coming back with an issue would be a good indicator?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

One admittedly filthy ride and this….

Unimpressed. 1 ride old. Seized rigid.

Slacks
    Free Member

For info, I tracked my issue down to the top jockey wheel seizing solid. I pulled it apart and it was solid with dry dark mud. Cleaned it out with pick and degreaser. Re greased and it works fine now. How long it will last we will see .Its been on my bike since October.

I message Uber Components asking if they were doing replacements. They are bringing out Jockey wheels a months time.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive been using aftermarket ones since my stock x01 eagle had more slack than a prozzies VAG……….

however, I still do occasionally get this issue even on ones with no play, so I’m really not sure what the culprit is, yes its much better, but its not totally eliminated it for me, I had an instance where I hit a jump about 3ft high at weekend, landed started to pedal and it started to do it then, I spotted it and pulled the chain out of the inside of the lower jockey…..

but its happening no where near as often as when the original ones had a lot of play….

I’m still non the wise how its happening, I’m guessing as it lodges on the inside of the lower jockey, the play does have some effect on it, but also wondering if the gap between the cage and inner side of the jockey is too great allowing it to fall in….I guess if it was closer theres no way the chain could fall into it….

RustyMac

@ Oscillate Wildly
    Don’t suppose you have a link to the ones you bought?
    did you keep with the 14 tooth & 12 tooth cogs or just go 12 12?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

@Slacks- exactly the same as mine in the post above yours. Seems they’re not greased from the factory.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@rustymac got em from a Ukraine compmany called ka engineering…took about 3 weeks to come around 50 quid, didn’t have an option at the time…..its almost as cheap now to just buy a spare gx eagle mech tbh…..

the kaengineering ones are properly made for eagle, so 14t, I’m not 100% sure but I cant really understand why a 12t one wouldn’t work tbh, I really cant…..If I had some spare 12t ones Id happily test them out but I don’t even have a old mech with any on…give it a shot, if you do and report back

I did email uber a while back and they told me a month or so away, that was probs 5 months ago haha

chilled76
    Free Member

Think I might pack mine with marine grease before I fit them.

Are the KA engineering ones on bushes or bearings?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

chilled – I replied to your msg last night, sorry about the delay Id only just seen it…

yep bearings are In, the top one is totally solid some 4 months on, but the lower ones got side to side play, ive tried repacking the lower to stop it but its not made any difference….I wont buy them again, 4 months isn’t particularly great, so when these are shot ill just buy a new rear mech and keep it spare, unless some cheap jockeys come out in the mean time

chilled76
    Free Member

I was wandering if the bearings are replaceable?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Not sure bud, they are alloy the actual jockeys and have hardly a mark on them, so if they are then its great, ill msg them see If I can get an answer…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well mines is still getting stuck in the outside of the lower jockey wheel, done it a few times yesterday, really is pants! not even over anything really bad either, just gets stuck so you have to stop everytime it happens, otherwise you obliterate the whole mech! jockeys have lots of play again so assuming its this

is their a fix or has anyone figured out a solution?

russyh
    Free Member

So i’m now having an issue with my GX mech, basically the chain is jumping off the top jockey wheel.  Especially when its muddy.  Whats the recommended fix?  not sure its a warranty issue just yet?  I have been having some shifting issues of late.

Any easy bodges or advice?  i really dont want to have the mech implode on me!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well I’m getting some gx eagle wheels, my after market ones were just as shite as the others in the end, and with terrible communications etc so I cant recommend the after market ones from ka engineering, they lasted 4 months until lots of play on the lower

sram ones are only 30ish quid and are available now, I’m gonna bang a new chain on to so combined with them and new chain it should be like new

will see how it goes

SirHC

Replace the bearings with some that have proper seals and decent grease. The sram bearings are pathetic, 500miles and the jockey wheels in my eagle x01 are shot. On the flipside the GXP bottom bracket is holding on in there, was expecting that to have gone by now.

Making a dollar out of fifteen cents

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

where can I buy replacement bearings for them? can you press them and out I take it?

I guess the extremes of the mech movement are causing them to wear excessively, this set I’m gonna take the caps off first and put some extra grease in I think

old_mtber
    Free Member

I’ve not had this issue with mine in about 6 months. However I really do have an issue with the way the chain drops in mud, especially the sticky Cotswold type. The narrow/wide chainring makes it difficult to replace in sync as well.  I also regularly feel the chain skip on the cassette which puts it out of sync.

Am I right in thinking earlier versions has narrow/wide on both jockeys as well which caused problems but now only on the lower?  Could this be the issue discussed here with the chain getting out of sync on the lower jockey?

My first SRAM groupset after years of Shimano and frankly I wish I’d bought the cheaper model with Shimano 11sp.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I think all versions of eagle have narrow wide on both jockeys, mine certainly do, unless somethigns changed that’s on a x01 mech I had when they very first came out

there was suppose to be a revision so I was told as they are aware of the problem of it getting stuck, but ive not seen any evidence to suggest a fix has been made common knowledge

ive had it drop off the front off mud clog (we don’t even have much claggy mud here, just wet!) a few times, nothing major but it has happened

russyh
    Free Member

I don’t think my issue is anything to do with bearing wear…so to speak it’s that the chain can fall off the jockey wheel into the gap between the teeth and the cage.  I see uberbike are making eagle replacement jockey wheels with ceramic bearings soon anyway

Poopscoop

Hmmmm…

Not a great tyres to read as I rebuild the Jeffsy with a GX Eagle drive train.

Going to take the jockeys off and pack with a good quality grease.

Can’t believe the pic above! One wet ride and they look like that, must have been no grease in it at all?!

Poopscoop

Just an fyi.

My few weeks old GX Eagle mech has NOT got n/w teeth on the upper jockey.

I believe this is different to earlier ones then?

Murray

As with Poopscoop, my GX Eagle mech has narrow/wide furthest from the cassette and symmetric nearest. Bought from Winstanleys on 14 Feb.

oikeith

kinda related: I just ordered some 11speed 12tooth Uber jockey wheels for my SRAM GX mech over the phone, the guy told me they dont make the teeth on either narrow wide anymore as it doesnt do a lot.

The jockey wheels arrived are normal straight tooth looking.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

russyh – I disagree, when they have that much play in the bearings, and a load of side to side play, theres every chance when you go over rough ground (as the chain jumps/moves around) that the chain will bounce off and unfortunately due to the play, allow more of a gap one side for the chain to fall down into…I’m pretty sure that’s whats happening on mine on the lower one for sure

ive just picked up some new gx eagle jockeys, so will see what happens this weekend

russyh
    Free Member

See thats the thing.  I dont have play in my Jockey wheels and the bearings are fine.  I also dont have a Narow wide top jockey wheel? Just the lower.  I have found that if there almost appears to be enough space for the chain to fall off the top jockey wheel and get caught by the cage (see photos) i can imagine with excessive bearing play this will be lethal as the gap will widen.  I think i’m going to order some uberbike eagle jockey wheels as soon as they are in stock.  Will chase them up now.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘SRAM eagle problem any one experienced it?’ is closed to new replies.