Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • SRAM eagle problem any one experienced it?
  • nicolaisam
    Free Member

Have done about 1000 miles on my xx1 eagle,No problems yet, But did notice you have to grease the jockey wheel bearings regularly or they start to wobble a lot.
    Not had any problems with few other sets i have fitted.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my jockeys have stupid amount of wobble, side to side, not sure if its that though given stewarts above is more or less brand new

wondering perhaps if its duff jockey wheels that are causing on some mechs, ive felt a brand new mech and the jockeys in that are solid and don’t move at all really

rumandcoke
    Free Member

Have just joined single track due to spotting this post I’ve got a new Whyte s150 and having the same problem re shattered upper jockey wheels. It’s done two in 3 weeks and it’s back at the shop yet again where I’m now getting a new mech! Any tips on avoiding this would be much appreciated.

stewartc
    Free Member

When going through rock gardens or our rough ground try not to change gear and possibly have the chain somewhere in the middle of the cassette.
    If you feel resistance, stop pedaling!!!

rumandcoke
    Free Member

Thanks Stewart, will have to change my style as I love this bike I also wanted to do some enduros on it so I need it to be reliable. 3 weeks old and it’s already spent a week in the shop.

rumandcoke
    Free Member

26aintdead

Same here, chain dropping out of bottom jockey wheel getting trapped on Eagle X01 and ripped the top jockey wheel off destroying it along with the inner cage. Happened twice now, not happy downgraded to GX, less of my hard earned cash to flush down the toilet which is where these mechs should go

wobbliscott
    Free Member

not limited to Eagle, happened to me last year on my road bike running 105 and 10 speed block, and a mate of mine on his hardtail mob, not sure what he was running but definitely not Eagle.

I never sussed out what it was in my case, however I had just done some last minute maintenance on the drive train so assumed it was my fault.

My mates mtb was a carbon hardtail and the rear mech was rotated around the cassette and snapped cleanly through his seat stay. He got the frame repaired at a local carbon frame repairers but he commented that it was by far the most common repair he has to do, so clearly not just a problem with Eagle, alot of people out there suffering this issue.

sillyoldman

Wobbliscott – Last one sounds like a split chain jamming in the cage which tears mech/hanger off and through seatstay. Different issue altogether.

rumandcoke
    Free Member

My rear Mech is going back to SRAM they just provided new jockey wheels before but it damaged the mech this time, always on a downhill trail as everyone else’s, Mine is happening mid range been told to change gear slower so will see what happens when it comes back next week.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I sent mine back for warranty. They’ve equipped it with new jockey wheels and inner cage.

I’ve just spent a week in Sierra Nevada with Ciclo Montana and the aftermarket spare I had worked flawlessly. That said, we were riding a lot of slow and technical stuff, so I guess the conditions where the first one blew up didn’t arise that much.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

must admit, mines hasn’t since does this now (about 5 rides in, tried and tried to fast shift in smallest cogs, up and down, down and up), since I put some new pimp alloy jockey wheels on and/or a new cassette

so it appears the problem for me was one of the above, a new chain DIDNT cure it.

ti456neal
    Free Member

Same happened to me on Sunday. 4 week old gx eagle mech. Low down the block pedalling hard and boom. Dead mech and sore plums!
    Hoping sram can sell me top jockey and new back plate.as it’s ripped the thread clean out the back of the cage.

Liftman

^
    It’s due to the metallic purple cable end.

Your gx couldn’t handle the embarrassment of the colour clashes on yer bike and killed itself.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Same happened to me on Sunday. 4 week old gx eagle mech. Low down the block pedalling hard and boom. Dead mech and sore plums!
    Hoping sram can sell me top jockey and new back plate.as it’s ripped the thread clean out the back of the cage.

I wouldn’t be asking them to sell you anything, id expect a full warrantied mech, its a joke that this is happening, its clearly a design fault somewhere, its the same thing I keep hearing now, pedalling hard over rougher ground in the smaller cogs, once you start chaning gears around it cannot cope at all, so a clear design fault

the only option is to try and stay in the same gear when over rough ground, which is pretty impossible, and pretty shit that you should have to do such a thing

ti456neal
    Free Member

My lbs has spoken to sram tech and basically they didn’t seem interested, but due to its age, to send it to them to inspect.
    I personally want a new mech out of them, but how long does a sram warranty claim take??
    Did you deal with them direct?

hot_fiat

Himm this thread (and some others on pinkbike and MTBR) is worrying. I’m off to Ciclo in a couple of weeks with my Eagle x01 equipped thing. Reckon I should purchase & pack a spare mech?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

My lbs has spoken to sram tech and basically they didn’t seem interested, but due to its age, to send it to them to inspect.
    I personally want a new mech out of them, but how long does a sram warranty claim take??
    Did you deal with them direct?

they will say that, its usually srams response to anything, ‘oh we know nothing about it’ (they said the same to me about 3 pairs of creaking pikes I had some years ago), I believe they do, if its happened to just a few of us on STW forum, imagine how many else its happened to in the world that just haven’t reported it….

I woudlnt settle for anything less than a new mech tbh, and Id argue all day long that its a design fault, point them to this thread!

also I haven’t actually warrantied mine, mines is 9 months old but only started doing it a month or so ago, ive replaced the jockeys, which touch wood so far has cured it for me, but obviously if your mech is 4 weeks old then it kinda blows the new jockey wheel theory outta the window…

if mine does blow up like yours has, I WILL be taking it back to the shop to warranty, if they don’t warranty it, Ill be going back to shimano 11 speed

jsync

Typically, I have just fitted GX Eagle Dave 🙂

ti456neal
    Free Member

also I haven’t actually warrantied mine, mines is 9 months old but only started doing it a month or so ago, ive replaced the jockeys, which touch wood so far has cured it for me, but obviously if your mech is 4 weeks old then it kinda blows the new jockey wheel theory outta the window…

I got spanked £50 for a set of sram jockey wheels on my xo1 11 speed mech, god knows what they charge for the 12 speed ones, especially as it says ‘eagle’ on it!!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Typically, I have just fitted GX Eagle Dave

😀 kev you’ll love it, aside of this problem mines was absolutely spot on for the 1st 1000miles! shifting went a bit slow down the cassette, but a new cassette and jockeys has sorted it

I cant fault the feel of shifting etc etc, its really good when it works well

just be very very very careful to change up gears when you are in the smallest cog (shifting up to next one) over rough ground at speed

other than that you’ll love it kev 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I got spanked £50 for a set of sram jockey wheels on my xo1 11 speed mech, god knows what they charge for the 12 speed ones, especially as it says ‘eagle’ on it!!

the official eagle ones (which are shit and have shift life in the bearings!) are around 70 quid! ive got some rather nice pimp alloy ones that feel totally solid for around 50 euros (proper eagle sized ones)

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Himm this thread (and some others on pinkbike and MTBR) is worrying. I’m off to Ciclo in a couple of weeks with my Eagle x01 equipped thing. Reckon I should purchase & pack a spare mech?

I took a spare but mine survived. That said, we did a week of the slower techier stuff with little of the down the block high speed pedalling that seems to cause the problem.

hot_fiat

Gonna see if I can source a back plate and pulleys. Seems they’re about €70.

Riding down places like Arthur Skargill & the run into the Lanjaron 70 might do it in.

OMFG how much are the bananna connectors! What the hell have I bought into?

wl
    Free Member

Eagle seems like one of the products that’s great in theory, crap in reality. Unless you’re a racer/sponsored/pro/obsessive fettler, seems to me like you’re better off without it for hassle-free riding in the UK.

hot_fiat

Thats a poor excuse for it not working reliably. XTR is aimed directly at those people & it just works.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Arthur Scargill and Lanjaron 70 were both ok, as was the Valeta run and Super enduro, but not really any cranking required on those.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Was considering Eagle on my next build but this has been enough to put me off.

jsync

At my current rate they’ll have moved on to 15 speed by the time I reach 1000 miles!

Been out on it today and it’s spot on, very happy.

russyh
    Free Member

Offt getting the feeling I have dodged a bullet here!

mtbikewv
    Free Member

Had this happen to me a couple of times, chain caught between the lower pulley and the cage. The first two times I was lucky to catch it. Not so lucky on the third , completely destroyed the derailleur and 2 two spokes. Good news is Sram warrantied it and the chain. I believe a design change is needed to the cage to keep chain from being able to drop to the sides of the pulley, especially in rough sections when the chain is bouncing like crazy.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yep I think there is too much space on the cage for it to bounce and wedge into the sides, not sure why where the jockeys sit, there needs to be excess space either side? it certainly doesn’t need enough excess space for the width of a chain to sit perfectly in and get wedged

glad you got sorted under warranty, that’s good to know

im not sure if its a combo of the play (very quick and very excessive side to side) in the jockey wheels themselves, combined with the space on the cage for the chain to fall into, it definitely needs redesigning

ive had some alloy jockeys in the since it kept happening (same eagle size ones), the bearing is still solid with no side to side play 1 month on, ive not had this issue once since, as hard as ive tried to replicate it, so its got me thinking the side to side play that comes from new in the jockeys is too much regardless (they almost need to not have any float which my alloy ones don’t and it shifts perfectly), and then over rough ground, the side to side play allows the chain to move so much/ not mesh properly as its changing gear that it comes off, then falls into the dreaded excess spacing either side of the jockey in the cage

AlexSimon

Good news is Sram warrantied it and the chain. I believe a design change is needed to the cage to keep chain from being able to drop to the sides of the pulley, especially in rough sections when the chain is bouncing like crazy.

So the replacement mech was just the same as the first in this regard?
    (I haven’t had a problem yet but will be keeping a close eye after reading this thread)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I don’t think anythings changed on them alex from what ive been told, maybe there is a design change for the future tho 😉

rickmeister

Holding off pulling the trigger on gx eagle for the fatbike…. Gx 11 has been faultless though.

fossy

Lower jockeys shouldn’t float,only the top (i.e. side to side). That might be the issue thats been designed in, by accident.

mtbikewv
    Free Member

There is definitely float in the lower pulley with the new derailleur. I am guessing that this is by design to ease the angle of the chain at the upper and lower end of the cassette. It would also reduce some noise and wear to the pulley, but it could be the root cause with chain jumping off the pulley as well.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

My replacement non sram ones are rock solid both upper and lower

I think it may well be the culprit, even from new theres play in the sran lower one, enough to not sync the chain over rough ground side to side and bam into the cage

Ive tried and tried and tried down rocky stuff the other night and shifted gear and not one problem at all on the new non sram ones

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Got a link to the after market jockeys then?

astormatt
    Free Member

I have had 2 rides on my new bike fitted with GX Eagle.
    Both rides have ended due to the rear mech spitting out the top jockey wheel.
    Its back in the bike shop having mech number 3 fitted in 34 miles.
    Both times it happened to me was at the same place on the same trail a week apart.
    I thought it may be a bent mech hanger as the chain has been rubbing on my tyre (see pics) but the bike shop had it in the workshop while i was there and they said it was fine.
    Be interesting to see what they say when i pick it up later this week…..

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/inkn076wikr53sx/AACU0XXYOsZfoRv43wf1Odtya

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘SRAM eagle problem any one experienced it?’ is closed to new replies.