Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • SPOT tracking via GPS
  • large418
    Free Member

Hi, heard a little bit about tracking people/GPSs using SPOT, and looking at the PBW double attempt thread there’s a link to the SPOT website and the GPS log.

Can this work on any GPS (I have a crap Magellan thing that seems incompatible with any software), or do you need a specific SPOT enabled GPS? Or is it not GPS at all, but phone or something else based?

Anyone got some easy to understand guide to SPOT that they can post on here?

Do I need to use SPOT to justify a new GArmin 800 GPS?

BadlyWiredDog

It’s SPOT specific afaik, you need a SPOT unit, which transmits its position at pre-programmed intervals, sort of like a reverse GPS if that makes sense.

see: http://www.findmespot.eu/en/

edit – or a SPOT Connect thing which you use in conjunction with a smartphone.

ViewRanger’s smartphone software has a similar sort of feature called BuddyBeacon, which has a web interface, but I think you can only share the trace with chosen individuals rather than publically, though I could be wrong.

uplink
    Free Member

You’d probably be better off with a gps phone tracker, can’t see how a standard GPS can transmit

google ‘world tracker’

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘SPOT tracking via GPS’ is closed to new replies.