Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Spesh Tricross – Front fork judder is back
  • grunty
    Free Member

sorted out last time by toeing the front brakes and it went away. On the way home this evening it was wet and the judder has come back. Pretty unnerving.

Any ideas how to sort it?

Dibbs
    Free Member

The pads have worn, do the toe-in again.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

What's your current brake set up?

grunty
    Free Member

That never occurred to me.

Cheers.

grunty
    Free Member

brakes are Vs (Cables)

allthepies
    Free Member

Is the front brake hanger mounted at the headset on yours ? If so then it's an "old" model and you'll continue to get brake judder over time. This can be fixed by fitting a replacement hanger (Kona/Spesh/Tektro) to the top of the fork.

grunty
    Free Member

any links to images of the differences?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

You don't need the hanger if you've got V's though…but you'll never stop the judder I don't think (and I found you continually had to fettle to get any stopping power).

I'd get shot and get some canti's and an up hanger…although I don't get much judder with a headset mounted hanger mind.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Up hanger

headset hanger

Top one goes up from the mudguard mount in your forks, bottom hangs down as a replacement to one of the spacers in your headset stack.

grunty
    Free Member

mine only has the wire mounted at the headset and then it attaches to a wire staddling the brakes.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Now I'm confused as to whether you have V's or canti brakes! 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Get some Easton EC90 forks. I pissed around with mine for way to long before just giving up.

allthepies
    Free Member

>mine only has the wire mounted at the headset and then it attaches to a wire staddling the brakes.

Same as mine. It's a design flaw which Spesh have now fixed on newer models. The "fix" is to fit a hanger at the top of the fork (through the mudguard mounting hole).

One of these http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_info.php?language=en&currency=GBP&products_id=57966

or the Spesh part itself

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=12447

And the reason why it happens on the headset mounted hanger

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/12/cyclocross/technical-qa-with-lennard-zinn-return-to-cross_101807

EccentricEllis

They fixed it last time by fitting Mini V's. Check them out!

cynic-al
    Free Member

That article could have been about 1/3 as long.

If Mr Zinn is correct, how come this was not widespread in canti equipped mountainbikes?

pseudobiker
    Free Member

I'm with Singlespeed_shep on this. I've tried all sorts on mine; different cantis, 2 different types of cable hangers (hanging from above headset and up from fork crown) mini Vs and most recently normal Vs with V brake compatible road levers……and they still judder. I've given up on them. My LBS only recommends alternative forks now.

druidh
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    That article could have been about 1/3 as long.

If Mr Zinn is correct, how come this was not widespread in canti equipped mountainbikes?

I thought it was an issue with the flexibility of the forks – with them fancy "zertz" bendy bits making it worse.

cynic-al
    Free Member

16 seconds too late!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Spesh Tricross – Front fork judder is back’ is closed to new replies.