• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized S works tyres
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of these? I’ve been using their non s works tyres for a while, no problem, but managed to rip a hole in the sidewall of my sworks the Captain after only one ride, on not particularly rocky terrain.

Was this just unlucky, or are these tyres just generally not fit for purpose?

ta

cnud
    Free Member

Same experience here, S-Works Purgatory ripped the sidewall and wouldn’t seal (tubeless), standard Purgatory have been fine for ages.

Taff
    Free Member

Have a gander in my recent history and there’s a topic on this. Turns out yet are made of Dairylea and loads of people have complained. I’m running Captains and Fast Traks and am changing the fastrak from the rear. Was yours on the rear?

drookitmunter
    Free Member

An S-Works Purgatory came with a bike I had. Ripped after a couple (albeit very rocky and steep) rides

tpbiker
    Free Member

yep was on the back…ran it tubeless, had done all of about 15 miles on it. I’ve also got one at the front, so seriously considering getting rid of it as well given the consequences of it doing the same thing:-(

I was aware when I bought it that it wasn’t going to be particularly tough, but given its not ridiculously light I expected slightly more for my 30 quid. Won’t be buying again thats for sure!

Taff
    Free Member

I’m going to put a MudX on the back of mine. Will try The Captain up front and see how it fares

orangeboy
    Free Member

The sworks ones are lighter but much thinner on the side wall than the control.
    As they cost the same it’s up to you which side of the coin you want.

I use sworks captain and fast track with little problem. Only 2 ripped in 3 years but it’s not too rocky round here

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got controls on my FS and they’re bang on, got S-Works tyres on my 29’er and the rear side wall is showing some threads, mainly due to mud etc build up on the chain stays during winter riding.

They’ve been fine* on rocks etc (*touches wooden table) so far

schnor
    Free Member

The specialized tyres go in terms of heaviness / cost: –

S-works (lightweight/race, almost no sidewall protection)
    Control (regular/XC use, normal sidewall protection)
    SX (AM/freeride, 1.5 x sidewall protection)
    DH (duh, 2 x sidewall)

S-works not worth the money IMHO

Bregante

The S-works Eskars I had were made of tissue paper. Conversely the non s-works Eskar Control Armadillos are the bestest tyres I’ve ever had.

*prepares for impending doom as a similar comment last weekend about how long my rear mech had lasted was almost immediately followed by a crash which knackered my rear mech and hanger 👿

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s just a cost thing I like the lighter Ralph’s but they are now getting on for 50 quid an sworks tyre is 30. For me they are a nice compromise.
    Jus don’t be surprised if a light weight tyre fails now and then

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’m going to put a MudX on the back of mine.

Noooooo!!! Thunk, sssssssssss…

Sidewalls made from butterfly wings!

njee20
    Free Member

S-works not worth the money IMHO

As said though, s-works and Controls are exactly the same price, you choose light or durable. Never had issues with the few I’ve used. More that the tyres are crap!

james
    Free Member

Have used S-works Storms (2″) but tubed. No problems here despite peak/lakes/dales use

Taff
    Free Member

Noooooo!!! Thunk, sssssssssss…
    Sidewalls made from butterfly wings!

Already have it, not like I’m buying it. Sidewalls seem better to me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized S works tyres’ is closed to new replies.