Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Speak to me about spokes….
  • ononeorange

Right. I have had a significant chain / spoke interface on my rear wheel and I can see that 3 or 4 spokes have some large chunks missing out of them. So I’d better replace them. (Rear mech travel limit screws now sorted out).

Not done this before so bear with me. How do I know what size spokes I need for a Pro II hub and a Mavic 719 rim? Is this an essentially simple qurestion or is it a “how long is a piece of string?” question?

Any other things I should know before happily removing the damaged ones, whacking in the new ones, tensioning up and finding I have a bent taco?

Any clues gratefully received. (My access on here is very intermittent so I’m not being rude if I don’t reply quickly).

Thanks

BigJohn

Mordaunt Short are always my recommendation.

Ooops, sorry, I just spoke about speakers.

ononeorange

😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the wheel is still fairly true, replace them one at a time and tension until the wheel is straight. If you want to get more involved and have more time, you could look at teaching yourself wheel building. If the wheel isn’t straight and you don’t have time, just take it to shop. Off the top of my head, those should be 258mm but the best bet would be to take the best looking knackered one off and measure it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

As Onzadog says, replace like for like and one at a time. Stay away from buzz until you’ve finished, ideally.

ononeorange

Ok thanks. That’s really helpful as I would have plunged in and removed an armful.

Will remove one then for measuring purposes. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Learning to build a wheel is on my list of things to do when I have time……

takisawa2

WheelPro calculator says…

Rear-Pro2-XM719 by pten2106, on Flickr

The 1x/2x/3x refers to the no of other spokes the spoke crosses on its way to the hub. Have a go at building one up. Front supposed to be easier. I jumped right in & did my rear. First attempt was a bit shoddy. I found making a nipple driver the easiest approach. Youve got to be methodical. And a clothes peg to mark which spoke your on when the kids declare war on each other.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You have rim diameter as 559 in that calculator. That’s the ISO bead diameter measurement not the effective rim diameter a quick google suggest 532 mm but I would double check before before using it in a calculator.

ononeorange

Thanks again guys. Will try and work that one out when I get home.

Much apprecaited.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Speak to me about spokes….’ is closed to new replies.