Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • SPD toe clips?
  • wwaswas

don't a lot of track cyclists use clipless pedals with toe straps?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wwaswas – Premier Member
    don't a lot of track cyclists use clipless pedals with toe straps?

They do indeed, but have you seen the amount of power someoene like Jamie Staff produces? No clipless pedal exists which could hold that down!

Olly
    Free Member

a truley AWWWFUL idea.

1 pair of proper SPDs, with no cages, for XCery

1 Pair of proper flats for proper flat riding.

i went out on a ride on flats other day, first time ive ridden flats other than on my tiny street bike.

was suprised how easy it was!
    pedalled like i was using SPDs as my legs are in the habit of going round and round not up and down.

i think thats probably the best plan?

soobalias
    Free Member

the shimano 505 platforms are great, i have them on my commuter.
    ok so the platform offers zero grip, but it gives me pedal reflectors for increased safety.

to the OP, either get used to descending in spd's or learn to ride flats full time. Throw your clips and straps in the bin or save them for the track.

joemarshall
    Free Member

You can get okayish flat pedals that toe-clips will fit on.

I have some VP ones which look a bit like old Shimano DX flats, but have reflectors on the front and back. Take a reflector off, and with some fiddling, you can attach clips to the pedals.

You have to use strapless clips (with no front) – there are plastic ones available in loads of places which work okay.

These look sort of similar to what I have:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16097
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5195

On some of them, the body is the wrong way round for it to work, you either need to put something under the clip (like a small block of wood), or swap the left and right pedal bodies.

Although having said that – it takes more time to take off the clips than to swap pedals, and a pair of lightweight road clip & strap pedals is pretty light.

Joe

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a Shimano M324.Its a normal bearcage pedal with a cleat on the one side.You can use normal shoes on one side (with a toeclip if you desire) and then flip the pedal over for use with cleated shoes.Seem ideal.We sell a lot of them.
    Thanx Max

cookeaa

You answered your own question a while ago:

Maybe I'm just overthinking the whole thing.

Go Buy some M424's (cheapest platform SPD Shimano do) try them for your "Normal riding" and give them a go for DH, you'll probably get along with them fine for "Normal" use (I assume by normal you mean some distance work and XC bimbling/Trail riding) and probably ditch your toe clips…

For DH you'll find them marmite like, either you like the security of keeping your foot planted or when in "panicky mary mode" you'll find your terror exacerbated by not being able to dab a toe, the platform can help a bit as you don't have to clip in when you put your foot on the pedal but the grip isn't wonderful, if you really can't ride DH with SPDs then go and get some Flats and a good set of skate/BMX shoes and change pedals according to the days planned use…

Your 3 pedals in one idea is frankly toss…

Good luck…

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘SPD toe clips?’ is closed to new replies.