Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SPD pedals: Light, lighter or lightest?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

SPDs.
    In the market for some new ones.
    Normally, Id get another set of PDM 540/520. 352g and £30

They’re lighter than new XTR, but then so are the latest touring SPD pedals. Although they’re not specified as for MTB, I cant see Shimano making the sealing really rubbish on them, or indeed their not being as strong. So what’s the catch apart from the single sided clip in (not a problem Im sure)…

XTR 375g, £90

A520 318g, £30

A600 286g, £50

sambob
    Free Member

If you’re looking at a pedal without a platform and want light, why don’t you just get the XTR Race Pedal?
    EDIT: Not worth it for the 40g. I’d hate having a single sided pedal, would annoy me hugely.

br
    Free Member

I’ve 3 pairs of 540’s that I’d been running for a while, but they’d all become ‘loose’ – they had been re-greased on numerous occasions. So I tried some Candy’s.

tbh Very happy with them, Candy 1’s – £40 and 262g, and then some Ti axles from ebay, at £32 and 60g (saving 60g over the originals). So now 202g and £72. Ok so the pedals will wear far quicker than the proper Candy Ti’s, but they are over £250 and still weigh more.

I’ve regreased then once this year and they are fine and working well. And one thing I really like is that there are no adjustments to seize, as per SPD’s.

lunge

4 very different Pedals there stoner. I have the A… Pedals on my road bike and good as they are I wouldn’t want single sided pedals on an MTB. I’ve ways run 520’s as they are dirt cheap, light ish and last 2 or 3 years. If you want a platform have a look at the new Deore ones, they’re like the XTR ones pictured but cheaper (basically a 520 with a cage round it).

sambob
    Free Member

My Eggbeater 1’s seized in 3 months 😯 Shimano been fine for 8 months, even after taking the resin cages off so they’re more exposed.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im sticking with SPD as all my shoes and bikes have them. It would cost a bomb to migrate everything to another brand.

TBH when I was first thinking about this I didnt realise how light the 540s were.
    Seems mad not to go for them again really, I guess one sided might be a git on emergency stab ins etc…

adrs99
    Free Member

M520s are two sided and less than £17 at Rose:

Here

skywalker
    Free Member

Had a pair of these for 3 years and they have lasted really well, still have loads of life in them. They have loads of float (15 or 20 degrees) never get clogged up with mud due to the design, and look way better than Shimano IMO

Stoner
    Free Member

Theyre £20 at On-One but weigh 30g more 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SPD pedals: Light, lighter or lightest?’ is closed to new replies.