Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Southport Air Show.
  • crazy-legs

Airshow parking is always a nightmare, doesn’t matter where it is.
    I remember going to Leuchars one year (by train) and watching 50,000 people try to drive out afterwards. Some were reportedly there for 4hrs…

I got the train to Southport but by Wigan it was standing room only. Didn’t help that Northern Rail ran that one as a 2-coach rather than the normal 4. On the way back it was similar although at least that was a 6-coach. They had to close the doors 15 minutes before departure cos people were still trying to squeeze on. In the end the police arrived to maintain order on the platform!

spandex_bob

Also tomorrow, the Lancasters are doing a Derwent Res flyby at 4.45pm if any Peaks locals fancy a ride out there.

For anyone heading to Ladybower this afternoon, it’s now been brought forward by half an hour, aiming for 4:15pm…

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=CA64D45E-5056-A318-A8E79ADC5F3310DE&rss=true

And with the Vulcan returning from Southport, it could be overhead too, although apparently it doesn’t actually fit down the valley though. Pity….

markkelly643
    Free Member

Does anybody know of any photos of the Provost incident? I was right near it and poo came out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    project
    Free Member

Huge queues today, parking 6 quid,and lots of road ragers out there, thankfully i was on the bike, didnt see any vulcans or many planes just a spitfire, probably have seen more if i had of paid 8 quid to get in, but as planes have the ability to fly over fences, huge numbers in the sand dunes,not paying either.
    Nice ride back to Liverpool though, past lots of frustrated car drivers.

crazy-legs

I went out to watch the Lancasters at Derwent Reservoir. Nice ride out there on the CX, round the res then pushed up a footpath on the eastern side and rode along a track I know up there which brings you out above the dam. Lots of people around but no problem finding a space. Lovely display, three passes then everyone tried to leave at the same time. Fairholmes was rammed and traffic was just gridlock. Didn’t help that there was some sort of ultramarathon event on too and some roadworks down by the main road but no worries on the bike. 🙂

MrOvershoot

Bike is by far the best way to get to the Southport air show.
    Myself & RichS off here went the first year the Vulcan came back and rode past massive lines of cars going nowhere very slowly.

diz

I cycled to Southport today, just got there to see the two Spitfires and the two Lancaster’s stayed for the Euro Fighter display then cycled back. On the way back, after passing huge lines of cars, just before Ormskirk the Vulcan treated me to a fly past. Good afternoon in all. Bike ride, sun and a selection of some of the finest planes in the world. IMO.

Houns

Crazy what cx bike were you on?

Rich_s

When the news came through that they weren’t departing via the Mersey, I decided to hop in the car and scoot up to J22 on the M62 (little house on the prairie). Glad I did, well worth seeing the two Lancs together overt’moors.

You do have to wonder who plans these things though – imagine the coverage from a pair of Lancs bimbling in front of the Liverpool cityscape, and the Arrows, and the Vulcan… Hey ho, maybe next year?

mav12
    Free Member

went on the train today had a seat there and back paid to go in and plenty of room at the front red arrows were brilliant as usual. typhoon was awsome as was the lancs and vulcan

vulcan 3 by robb d, on Flickr

vul 4 by robb d, on Flickr

typhoon by robb d, on Flickr

lanc 2 by robb d, on Flickr

red 1 by robb d, on Flickr

iain1775
    Free Member

Derwent this afternoon –

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Wow what a day!

Left home at 0830 for what would normally be an hour drive, only took two hours so was parked up on Marine Drive in plenty of time.

As it was my first display I have to say I was blown away by the Red Arrows, they were simply awesome. Definite dusty eye moment within minutes of them flying over.

Typhoon left me open mouthed, the noise it makes is unreal. Great to see the Lancs, Spitfire and I think (not sure) if the fourth plane was a Hurricane.

Think it was the Blades not long after the Red Arrows, really impressed with those too. And of course the Vulcan, amazing how many people left before it came over can only imagine they didn’t realise that it was postponed until today.

Took us about an hour to get off Marine Drive and then got stuck for a while behind an accident a few miles up the road. Was all pretty calm apart from a few numptys that had parked on the beach.

For me it was 100% worth the £7 odd, will definitely be there next year.

timc
    Free Member

Rich_s – Member
    You do have to wonder who plans these things though

Local council?

crazy-legs

Crazy what cx bike were you on?

Blue Specialized Crux.

It got noticed by every MTBer out on the hills so if you saw it, you’d know!

Houns

Were you Rapha’d up?

If so you pulled in right by us on the snake pass to take your outer layer off as we were trying to cross the road

crazy-legs

Yep, blue Rapha windshell that I’d had on while waiting for the flypast. Once I’d warmed up again I stopped on Snake to take it off – was more concerned about avoiding the mental traffic than looking at the people though, sorry I missed you!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Went on Saturday. On its own merits the show was great and my boys loved the Red Arrows, but it wasn’t worth the 7 hour round trip, 4 of which were at walking pace. I gave up just before the end of the show, but just caught the helicopter doing a backflip – A BACKFLIP! – when leaving the car park.

Houns

Heh we were waiting for you to ride past us so we could cross you then slowed and pulled in to the layby right behind us. (I was wearing black Rab jacket and Miss Houns was the redhead) Yeah traffic was passing us way too close as we walked from Hagg farm to there. We passed you twice after that, once on the climb up snake pass, then on the A 624. I mentioned to Miss Houns that I’d not seen you over take us in the queue of traffic in Glossop and wondered if you’d taken a route from the top of snake pass to there?

crazy-legs

I mentioned to Miss Houns that I’d not seen you over take us in the queue of traffic in Glossop and wondered if you’d taken a route from the top of snake pass to there?

No, down Snake then sharp left before the town centre and this back road up to the A624.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Nice photos mav12. Anyone know why the Typhoon is wearing D-day invasion stripes?

Houns

Dammit! Wish I’d have spotted that, wasted 20 mins sitting there.

eruptron
    Free Member

I did Saturday. The display was great especially due to the faffing around the organisers had to do to get the planes in at all. Really enjoyed the Huey Iconic noise. Typhoon was awesome the Mustang display especially good bit of a wake up when he strafed the beach and the pyrotechnics went off.
    Weather was a bit poo.
    I was right under the Provost when he over cooked it. Generally got the impression he’d ended the display because he’d kaked himself. It was mightly close 🙂
    Getting into the event was terrible got to banks north of Southport at 10.35 was gone 13.00 when I got to the beach. 4 cabins taking money. Which was obviously not enough to get the people off the road quick enough and no apparent contingency plan.
    On the way out north through the nature reserve took over an hour (took me 3.5hrs to get to Silverdale Lancs) to get to the roundabout at the top because the right of was was with the traffic coming from town. Maybe it’s always like this an I did expect delays but there was not one Police person managing traffic which would have eased traffic congestion especially on the was out.

Rich_s

Luvvin your shots Mav12 – especially Red 1. That’s a corker.

scuttler

Fab weekend of planes. Went to Southport on Saturday and managed to duck and dive courtesy of Google maps (with traffic) missing all the queues except the one from the last roundabout on Marine Drive onto the beach – same on the way home – try it – it’s like having someone in a helicopter directing you around the queues.

I was gutted about the Vulcan but really enjoyed all the other stuff particularly P51, Lynxes, Typhoon, Reds. I haven’t been to an airshow for about 25 years and completely by accident dug out some old Finningley photos last night when tidying up – they looked far more relaxed from a crowd perspective in the olden days, but not in the air – I saw a Starfighter go through the sound barrier at < 100 feet once at Fairford but had my back turned for the Jet Provost moment on Saturday 🙁

Sunday was a quick razz out on the bikes for the BBMF, parked at Moscar then Cut throat, Whinstone Lee Tor. Plenty of people up there but we got away quick knowing they were doing 3 passes and got ahead of the crowds for the descent. We were well out of the way and up at Dog+Partridge for beer in about 25 mins.

Quality stuff but I still need to get out and see the Vulcan with the threat of permanent grounding.

stever
    Free Member

Saw that Vulcan fly overhead by Pendle Hill yesterday.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Southport Air Show.’ is closed to new replies.