Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Southampton – Reading commute…
  • DT78
    Free Member

anyone regularly commute? contemplating applying for a job there with the view in a few years of saving moving a bit closer.

whats it like to drive/train it regularly?

weeksy

several workmates commute from Pompy. None i’m aware of from Southampton though. If you take A34/M4 then it’s a doddle until 8am…. then a nightmare…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Used to go Winchester – Reading for my first year of uni..
    The train is OK, so long as you don’t have to change at Amazingstoke.. The local one from there is cramped, small and annoyingly slow.
    Driving isn’t so bad, but can be a bit slow though and out Blazingstoke. It’s slightly better getting in to Reading now that they’ve sorted out the M4 junction, but still rubbish if you’ve got to get right into the centre.

DT78
    Free Member

Train seems to be 49mins, 30mins to get to the station southampton end. Car should be 1hr10mins, which is just on the tolerable side.

Could be a goer. .

nickjb
    Free Member

1hr10mins would be on a very good day. I hope the pay is good as that commute will start to suck pretty quickly. What’s wrong with moving sooner?

lucien

Hey – leave a little earlier and go by bike…..you’d have legs of steel after 6 months

DT78
    Free Member

50% pay increase, used to commute for an hour each way. Southampton poole. I m quite happy when I’m moving. Get hacked off in first gear crawl.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you’re working near the town centre I’d strongly consider the train. Getting round Winchester anywhere nr rush-hour is a nightmare. Cycle to the train station to cut down on the 30 min? I guess that’s 30 min on a bus?

40mpg

I commute Southampton to Theale, just South of Reading. 1hr 15 in the morning, 1hr dead on a clear run. Hitting the M3 after 7am adds about 10 mins from M27 to Winchester.

I sometimes have to get into Reading Uni, that can add 15 mins + as its a nightmare up the Shinfield Road since they swapped the mini roundabout for lights.

Best route is M3 to J5, B3349 to Shinfield and in.

atlaz
    Free Member

I commuted up from Soton along the M3 for a few months. It’s awful and I wouldn’t do it again.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I sometimes have to get into Reading Uni, that can add 15 mins + as its a nightmare up the Shinfield Road since they swapped the mini roundabout for lights.

Classic bit of “What were they thinking???” town planning in a Reading stylie.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Southampton – Reading commute…’ is closed to new replies.