Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Soundproofing a semi-detached house?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

Afternoon all. My elderly Mum lives in a semi-detached bungalow and has recently acquired some new neighbours.

The new neighbours are not overly noisy – no loud music/pets/MotoGP bikes etc – but they make their presence known through the walls via their normal daily activities. Like most old people, Mum likes it quiet aka silent and I was thinking about soundproofing the adjoining walls in some way.

Just wondered if anyone had done anything like this?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Turn her hearing aid down?

Seriously…no frikkin idea…rockwool & new plasterboard?

The sound may be structurally borne which woul make it very dificult.

Shadow
    Free Member

Stud wall on the party wall not fixed to it in any way (fixed to your ceiling and floor) rockwool sound insulation and sound batt plasterboards is probably the cheapest way
    Gyproc do specific sound wall systems but the prices can get silly

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Did basically what Shadow suggests to our place downstairs. Much inproved, but not perfect – relatively cheap though.

Shadow
    Free Member

If it’s structure borne then you need to use thick rubber to try and isolate from one stucture to the other (like between a stud wall and ceiling)

mos

If you are doing it yourself, then do what shadow says & use 2 layers of 15mm HD plasterboard. Then get someone in to skim it.

wwaswas

have a google for ‘soundproofing party walls’ but I used resilient bars and two layers of 18mm acoustic plaserboard to reasonable effect – as above the trick is to build a new ‘wall’ that doesn’t touch the existing one in any way.

rocketman
    Free Member

OK thanks for the advice fellas.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Soundproofing a semi-detached house?’ is closed to new replies.