Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • solar panels for roof
  • cycleworlduk
    Free Member

got a largish shop roof facing south…lots of optimistic claims for income…is it all good? any funding available govt or do i have to goto banks..

ta muchly

mk1fan
    Free Member

If you don’t have the funds to pay for the install – ie you have to borrow it – then the financial returns are crippled by paying back the finance.

Alternatively, you can lease your roof to a ‘PV Energy’ firm and they pay the cost of install.

Systems putting energy back into the grid are restricted by the mains connection. A single phase connection can only handle a 4kW PV system. If you have three phase hooked up to the property then you can have a larger system.

Roughly speaking 30sq M of panels is a 4kW system.

Also, this is in the wrong forum.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

apologies for wrong forum choice…that all sounds good,especially the leasing bit.ive got a company coming next week to survey the roof space..ta!

mk1fan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get too excited about the potential lease rates. The company still needs to make money and margins are tight to begin with.

Ask what the deal is and then take time to consider it. ETA: there are a lot of these companies around so there’s plenty to choose from.

However, [again I’m sorry] the tariff rates are due to be reviewed next April (IIRC) and are likely to go down. So any system that wants to benefit from the current rates needs to be installed, certified and running before the review date.

Bear in mind that Planning Consent maybe required which is 8-weeks plus the time to compile the application.

donsimon
    Free Member

There’s a watchdog video on here if you scroll down.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/09/
    What are you looking to do, produce more electricity or reduce your bills?
    You might be better off insulating a bit better or looking for other solutions.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

both i suppose…planning isnt needed here for it…ill do some more digging about..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Think how difficult it might be to sell your property when some solar energy company has a 25 year lease on your roof. Many mortgage companies wont touch such a property.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’re looking at reducing bills you could insulate the walls if not already done for very little money, double/triple glazing or even put in some insulated shutters up.
    Better to try and look at reducing the carbon footprint and the bills rather than adding to it, no?
    The energy saving trust have a home energy check to see where savings can be made and other useful info.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

good point…although i own the building….

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A future buyer might have to get a mortgage though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘solar panels for roof’ is closed to new replies.