Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • So why was my commute so easy today?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Eh up, so today I rode in and back to work, 23 miles each way. Normally when I do it the return is quite hard work but today was effortless. I didn’t eat differently ( cornflakes for brekky, salad and ham for lunch and a yoghurt mid afternoon). If I could feel like that every time I got on a bike I would sell my car tomorrow!

I did find myself pedalling slightly differently, kind of pushing through my heal on the down stroke, maybe I have been pedalling incorrectly for the last 25 years ?!?

yossarian
    Free Member

Perhaps you have become a god overnight?

It happens.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Drugs

molgrips
    Free Member

Slight tailwind.

maxray
    Free Member

Unlikely yossarian, I am too much of a deviant 😉

Tail wind would have to have been both ways, but plausible. It was pretty surreal, interested to see how I fare in the morning 🙂

ski
    Free Member

tailwind or beer effect?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Contaminated beef.

ton

just a good day.
    you will p;ay for it later in the week.

ying n yang type thing……….. 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

Tailwinds can be both ways. Weather patterns shift through the day.

maxray
    Free Member

Christ ton, that means it’s my first ever good day! 😉 I really hope I have another soon.

nbt

Another vote on tailwind, a tailwind could knock 15 minutes off a 1 hour commute for me

hammy7272
    Free Member

How long does it take just out of interest? Also how often do you do it? I only ask as I am considering a similar distance commute.

ta

maxray
    Free Member

Takes about 1:30 on average, usually bit quicker going in maybe 1:20. I tend to do full in and train and bike home 2 or3 times a week tho I have decided to try and do there and back twice a week now.

It can be a struggle to get up as I work 5 days hours over 4 days so have to leave about 5am but all worth it when you see the herons chilling by the reservoir or the rabbits in the fields etc. Plus you don’t have to say no when your offered a nice choccy hobnob in work if you are getting 40+ miles under your belt 😉

TiRed
    Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it a new bike?

maxray
    Free Member

Nah onzadog, had the bike for about 7 or 8 months now, I have been having a big pile of beetroot on my lunch for the last month it must be that! 😉 Heaviest rain of the summer so far made me divert to the car this morning but will be back on the bike Friday to see if it is the same or back as before 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m doing 17 miles a day, and I don’t do it every day. Then again I am training on the way home so I find myself tired sometimes. And I’m also crap at getting up early which means that I am always always late, which means late home too.

Long commute success hinges on how good you are at getting up and out early imo.

thehustler
    Free Member

I do a 20 mile each way commute at least 3 times a week atm, and as above some days you just have a good ‘un

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve moved house recently, and had a long time (several months) off the bike, so I’m getting back into commuting to regain some fitness and lose weight.

Used to do a 34 mile round trip up to 5 days a week last year (3 days over winter). Now have a 52 mile round trip.

Yesterday, the ride in was fine – bit of a headwind. The ride home was fantastic – tailwind so soft pedalled the first 13 miles (all false flat), so felt much better when climbing the last 13 miles.

Back on it again tomorrow – plan is twice a week.

Drapoon
    Free Member

I do a 19 mile route home each day (I went through a bad spell over the winter where I fell out with riding after doing lands end to john o’groats in 7 days!) The misses drops me off each morning as I really struggle to get up in the morning to get up & out on the bike for a morning commute. Any tips as I’ve sworn I would do it circa 30 times so far this year & managed it 5 times!

For the record I managed a personal best home last night, (must have been something in the air!) an average of 19.7mph over 19.62 miles with a large rucksack of clobber on my back – I was rather pleased with myself so ate more cake than usual ;-(

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mine is only 8.25 each way. I’ve recently fitted a cycle computer and for some reason, that seems to be making me push a lot harder.

I might have to take it off.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘So why was my commute so easy today?’ is closed to new replies.