Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • So who inspires you?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I see Facebook has added a new listing to “Profiles”: “Who inspires you”.

So, who inspires you?

Mine are:

Aung San Suu Kyi, Christopher Hitchens, Joan Rivers, Richard Dawkins, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Quentin Crisp, Eddie Izzard and Adrian Borland.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Steven Gerrard, David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, JLS, Take That.

psychle
    Free Member

Jesus…

nickhart
    Free Member

the wife

Fred West

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Vincent Van Gogh

Ernest Shackleton.
    No matter how bad the situation, never give up.

Thor Heyerdahl
    While everyone else was discussing whether it could, or couldn’t be done, he did it.

iDave
    Free Member

My 3 kids
    Seneca
    Nassim Taleb
    Tim Ferriss
    Baby Robins

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

David Cameron

[Edit] Actually I think ‘incites’ is the correct term with him [Edit]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Kublai Khan

brakes
    Free Member

Cheryl Cole inspires me to get up in the morning

donsimon
    Free Member

Pep Guardiola
    Ricardo Semler
    Owain Glyndwr.

_tom_
    Free Member

I honestly have no idea – is that good or bad?!

I have musical inspirations which affect my guitar playing style, but no “life” inspirations.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ghengis Khan.

Amir Khan

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan

Mr Khan Community Leader

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6QI-2S0IM[/video]

Lol @ Elfin

brakes
    Free Member

Mr Khan, community leader is my hero, King Khan!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think we need a forum leader, you know, someone to lead the forum… a forum leader, a leader of the forum if you will.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

What is involve job for Forum Leader? Leading Forum?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yes that’s right they’ll lead the forum. We’ll call them the Forum Leader!

iDave
    Free Member

I will follow

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can be Forum Leader. Everybody know me. I am leading Forum.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What is involve job for Forum Leader?

The job involves explaining very complicated things in an ‘easy to understand’ manner.

For example, as seen 1.40 mins into this video :

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKP89Bi8EFM[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

uchyych… that’s one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a long time!

Thank you! 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Anyway time to lead this Forum back to what would otherwise be an interesting thread if it weren’t for people being silly. 🙄

Personally, I’m more inspired by people I meet, than by historical figures/celebrities. Because I spose there’s a more realistic sort of chance you can follow their example. And they can praps help you directly, show you their skills and that. You see the real person, not just the myth.

Of famous people, I spose yer Ghandi, Aneurin Bevan, Mother Theresa, people that dedicated their lives to help others, and promote causes they believed in.

Anyone who is willing to give their life to defend freedom, justice and equality.

Elfinsafety, not having a dig at you, but that looks like a pretty much stock list of “inspirational” people.
    What have you ever done that was inspired by one of them.

When I’m fed up and can’t be bothered to do something, I often think “What would Shackleton do” and suddenly it doesn’t seem so impossible.

While other people are talking about veganism and how you can or can’t do this that or the other on a vegan diet, I’m out on my bike doing it. Not on the same scale as Heyerdahl, but the inspiration’s there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

if it weren’t for people being silly

And you think Woppit, of all people, claiming to be inspired by Christopher Hitchens, an unrepentant Trot, is conducive to being sensible ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfinsafety, not having a dig at you, but that looks like a pretty much stock list of “inspirational” people.
    What have you ever done that was inspired by one of them.

Well, this is why I feel that I’m ‘inspired’ more by people I meet in ‘real life’. With the examples I’ve given, I admire what they achieved, and the way they dedicated much of their energies to doing good things for others. I try to help others wherever possible, and lend my own talents and abilities when I can. Personally I feel that those three I’ve mentioned are more inspirational to me personally than Shackleton or Heyerdahl. Shackleton was someone who was driven by his own interests. Yeah, great sense of adventure, and a will to overcome adversity, but not all that inspirational to me.

We’re all different, innit? I dare say there’s some on here who have been inspired by That Woman. Takes all sorts….

noteeth
    Free Member

Henry David Thoreau, Keith Bontrager, William Wordsworth, Basho, David Lynch, Cormac McCarthy, Edward Abbey, Björk.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Funny, I was thinking about Bjørk; a very unique and individualistic artist. Always done her own thing, not sold out to mainstream ideas just to ‘fit in’. Pushed boundaries, tried lots of new things. Got a fair amount of flak for it, but that hasn’t deterred her. Yeah, I like Bjørk.

locomotive

[Heavy]Anyone I have ever seen in paper/on TV talk about how near death has caused them to re-evaluate whats important in life. They usually share common themes. I dont want to have to face early death to learn these same lessons.[/Heavy]

On a much lighter note… Micheal Palin, Bill Hicks, Thom Yorke, Rafa Benitez 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

I would like someone to mention Lord Coe so that Flashy and The New Forum Leader can have another, er, ‘debate’. 😀

iDave
    Free Member

Lord Coe

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

if it weren’t for people being silly

And you think Woppit, of all people, claiming to be inspired by Christopher Hitchens, an unrepentant Trot, is conducive to being sensible ?

1: His book, “God is not great: How religion poisons everything”.

2: His expose of the execrable “Mother Theresa” and all she represents.

3: His enlivening and amusing debates with various silly theists, available on Youtube.

4: His current writings and interviews regarding his imminent death from cancer, including the recent TV interview with Paxman.

Junkyard
    Free Member

his debate with Blair is on Radio 4 at 8 pm tonight Woppit

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I would like someone to mention Lord Coe so that Flashy and The New Forum Leader can have another, er, ‘debate’.

I am Forum Leader; I lead Forum. 😀

His expose of the execrable “Mother Theresa” and all she represents.

Maybe when he’s spent most of his life helping the poor, sick and needy around the World, he can feel qualified to criticise. 😕

Kuco

No one.

KT1973
    Free Member

Shatner

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’m not really inspired by any public figures, however there are quite a few stories from “ordinary people” on the crazy guy on a bike site that hopefully will inspire me to do something similar one day.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

1: His book,….

2: His expose of ……

3: His enlivening and amusing debates ……..

4: His current writings and interviews ……

Yes, but he still claims to be a Trot………I had no idea that counted for so little to you.

💡 Maybe he can inspire you to read some of Leon Trotsky’s writings ? According to Hitchens it will ‘make the hairs on your neck stand up’.

yunki
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever even briefly considered taking inspiration from a celebrity.. living or dead.. not even an historical or fictional one.. maybe that’s where I’ve been going wrong all these years..

Friends and family and ordinary people that I’ve met are always my inspiration..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘So who inspires you?’ is closed to new replies.