Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • So new orange 5 is out!
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

just seen on the site, its actually out at a price of £2,800, whos buying it 😛 what upgrades would you go for ? i want to demo one!

GaryLake
    Free Member

It is a lot of money but my '08 one has been such a little star and reliable as, that I reckon they're easily worth the initial outlay.

That said, in '08, my pro was only about £2200! Positively bargainous by today's standards now!

Rickos
    Free Member

Doesn't seem to be a frame only option. Hmmm…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Maybe in time a frame only option will be available?

larry

You know how when things get old they become classics and demand high prices ie cars, guitars etc etc, well I have a lovely classic 04 five which I would out of real kindness and goodness of heart swap with somebody for one of these new obviously not so good models. Just give me the word. Oh how I wish I was rich!

coopersport1
    Free Member

Would love an '11 frame but having just rebuilt my 08 and fallen in love with it again I don't see the point. The only niggle with mine is the cable routing above the shock through the 2 little hole/ring things. My Gore cables and now my Goodridge ones are doing a damn fine job if wearing it through! The '09 changed the routing for the little cable tie things a bit higher up the down tube.

Also the next biggest outlay other than the frame is forks, having changed for '10 TALAS I wouldn't be able to swap due to tapered steerer now needed.

Need a couple more years from mine first! Doh

dasnut
    Free Member

you don't 'need' a tapered steer with this bike, you just use a different lower bearing\race if you want to use standard 1-1/8" forks.

all about choice, see?

still hate the 5 myself though

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I've currently got a demo 5 in my very secure garage. Out to try it tomorrow.

Northwind

According to MBR the revised geometry they had on their Strange five was the best geometry ever and a huge leap forward. But now that Orange have decided not to change the geometry for 2011 after all, the old geometry is the best geometry ever :mrgreen:

Slightly disappointed by tapered headtubes becoming this year's thing though, full 1.5 gives so much more choice. Just that it looks a little gimpy.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

essel where did u get a demo 2011? from

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

essel where did u get a demo 2011? from
    Basically through my fave LBS, Bike Scene in Guisborough which is 50 odd miles away! Spoke to Andrew who runs it with his (very nice) sister 😉 & he put me on to the Orange rep, who turns out to live about 1/2 a mile from me, who dropped it off at my house tonight.
    (which I kinda guessed cos I've seen the black Orange van around the locality)

grantway
    Free Member

Had seen a Strange 5 2011 bike over in Afan a month back
    I put my 08 up against it and the new frame has all the correct
    changes to it and NO Gimmicks.
    in saying that! would i change my 08 5 frame I dont think so
    being that my 5 has taken me down some serious shite and back again.

But I would go for the new 5 AM against over the Alpine 160
    if just riding in this country

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i dont know what to get the 160 alpine or new 5 ? tell me more why u would go against it m8, is the 160 a heavier bike ?

grantway
    Free Member

Yes Chris the 18 inch medium Alpine 160 you can get that
    down to 32 lbs The reeason its heavier is that the back end
    is the same as there downhill rig the 224 also the down tube
    maybe a thicker sheet material, so Orange HQ says.

My Orange 5 AM medium 08 comes in at 29.5 lbs
    For harder hitting runs I use a Manitou IXS 6 rear shock.

I just find the 5 frame makes a very capable all round bike
    from hard hitting Downhill runs to hard XC trails

Best get a test bike on each and test back to back
    until you make up your mind.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

There's 2011 5 frame in BETD,an 18 in blue. Looks good.

legin
    Free Member

what weight would a 5 se or pro be im curious as there seems to be a lack of info when it comes to builds.i saw the 2011reviews and teh frame said 6.6lb without a shock so how heavy are shocks.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Weighed the demo bike at Bike Scene today & it was 30.5lbs with my old ally cage DX type pedals on. Had hold of the Float 32 forks & they felt proper light. I've ordered. (have I told you already?) a 5 frame with my own choice of everything on it, more like a custom build. (as opposed to a custom frame) Hopefully should be 28lb ish.

elaineanne
    Free Member

can you get 160 travel on the new five Am…i think you can- and there are no warranty issues with that, if i have read it correct in MBR mag…
    with a few tweaks here and there the frame has gained alittle weight they say… also 2 the main driving force for upping the internal diameter of the seat tube from 27.2mm to 30.9mm was to improve the fives compatibility with height adjustable seatposts"
    THE Ride. the most significant change to the ride is the front end is stiffer when dropping in on rough terrain…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Jesus! How many more times do i have to mention the fact that I've had a demo 5 for 2 days? Are people on here deaf/blind or are my posts not appearing at all?
    with a few tweaks here and there the frame has gained alittle weight they say… also 2 the main driving force for upping the internal diameter of the seat tube from 27.2mm to 30.9mm was to improve the fives compatibility with height adjustable seatposts"
    THE Ride. the most significant change to the ride is the front end is stiffer when dropping in on rough terrain
    etc etc etc….
    WTF!
    I'VE ORDERED ONE. IT'S VERY STIFF AT THE FRONT. THE PRO-PEDAL & FORK LOCKOUT WORK VERY WELL WHEN CLIMBING STEEP HARD STUFF, IT GRIPS LIKE AN…EXTREMELY GRIPPY THING, MY HEART, LUNGS & KNEES EXPLODED BEFORE I LOST TRACTION, ON DOWNHILLS IT WENT WHERE I WANTED IT TO GO & I DIDN'T SH1T MYSELF, THEN I THOUGHT, '**** ME! AWESOME' (I'VE HAD 5 GIN & TONICS & 3 CANS OF LAGER! Do I make myself clear?
    Did I mention I'd ordered one?

backhander
    Free Member

Grantway, if the orange 5 is soooo good in every carnation, how come you haven't upgraded since 2008? (new top tube etc) Have the upgrades been not worthy of your hard earned or are you short a few quid?
    I like the five but find the blind loyalty by the usual suspects a bit tiresome and suspect that many haven't tried any other bikes.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL Nope not short at all just dont need to change anything
    just take a look at the 5 AM 08 spec, also the frame has the
    bent top tube but with a different mix of Aluminium

But the tweeks i have done are the following

Replaced the FOX RP 23 with a Manituo IXS 6 (Best thing I have done)

MOJO turned me 36r Talas into a Float and shortened travel
    to 150mm. Plus these are super stiff so no need for a
    taper head tube.

Replaced the seat post for a Gravity seat dropper classic

And as i could not find a better ride I had Orange re spray
    the frame Apple Green

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol grantway we are twins now then…mine is apple green too… so shud i be getting my forks serviced soon…. its one year one month old

grantway
    Free Member

LOL indeed elaine 😉
    Yes a must to get your forks off to MOJO to keep the 2 year warranty
    and regular change the oil in the lowers too. 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

so how much is that in cost then approx…cheers

grantway
    Free Member

Cost around £ 110 for a 36r talas service

elaineanne
    Free Member

ok.. so do i just unscrew the headset and pull the forks down…do they come off easy ? ive never attempted this… and what the heck do i wrap them up in at the post office(lol) or shud i just get the local bike shop to send them away for me or will that cost more again….

grantway
    Free Member

Hi Elaine Yes take them to your local shop to send
    as to send them yourself and insure the cost of your
    forks will be around £ 30 quid.

Unsure if MOJO have a video on there web site to service the forks
    But do give them a call and ask for a copy of there How To, to
    service your forks, they may send you it by e-mail, but do give
    them a call.

cp

Mojo will arrange collection for about 15 quid… As do all the arrive places. Mojo are very busy at the mo, so could be worth trying loco or tf tuned. Both do collection, TFT slightly cheaper, loco cheaper again.

sniperboy
    Free Member

Ive just got my new SE but i changed all the spec…M4’s with 203 floating at front and 183 at the back…Sram XO gears Hope stainless BB and i upgraded to maxle swing arm for better stiffness i kept the 2010 spec as i hate XTR (personnel preferance)…i bought this as my old SE (2008 model)was stolen and i was impressed with that..I can tell you the new bike leaves my old one way back in the dust , i can’t explain why but handling ,sharpness its totally better…Heres the deal it only cost me £3700 as apposed to the £4400 for the standed new one GO FIGURE

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘So new orange 5 is out!’ is closed to new replies.