Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 296 total)
  • So, I've just found out I too have cancer.
  • Wookster

Thinking of you and yours mate!

jamj1974

Yes, best wishes for your next round. Take care buddy!

J

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Best wishes & positive vibes for the next course.
    Good luck!

oldracer
    Free Member

F cancer!

benz
    Free Member

John,

Like a number of folks, I also think about your progress and hope and wish it works out positively. So far so good – which is great 🙂

A few years back I was waiting for the results of a number of tests one of which would indicate whether I had Multiple Myeloma. To be honest the anxiety of waiting screwed my head up totally. The results were negative, but it took some time for the medical induced anxiety to go (actually, I don’t know if it has….waiting on some blood test results at the moment…). However, your posts in themselves have helped me be in a much better place than I would have been, so thanks!

Take care and I sincerely hope that apart from the slight downs during treatment, it will be a big up at the end of the treatment. Best wishes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good news thanks for sharing, love it all and especially this

The family are all keeping well and the soontobe wife and daughter are coping remarkably well and are a constant source of support and joy. It sounds corny but times like these really do help refocus whats important to you and those around you.

strawman
    Free Member

Hi John, hope everything is going well. Let us know how you are pal. God bless you and yours. Paul.

juanking

Thanks for the nudge Paul.

So I completed my fourth and final round of treatment last Monday. There was a slight delay in starting as I have been getting infections of some description due to my immunity system essentially turned off. As mentioned I completed the fourth round last Monday and was out on Tuesday but was re-admitted this Tuesday with high temperatures and am still in ARI. They have never been able to pinpoint a cause of the infections however the PICC line I have fitted is being taken out tomorrow as a possible/likely cause.

On the up side it now appears as if my bloods are now stabilising and my body is able to start creating white blood cells once again due to the bone marrow stimulation injections I’ve been on for a fortnight. That will greatly help me fight off any bugs whilst rebuilding my strength.

This fourth round was bloody tough going afterward mainly due to exhaustion however I’m coming out the other side now and am starting to feel better daily. I hope with a combination of the PICC line removal and neutrophils/white blood cells improvement these seemingly random temperature ‘episodes’ are a thing of the past.

I have a final/end of cycle scan next Tuesday and review with my consultant the following week. So long as the results are as we expect it then a case of debating the merits of a PET scan.

It’s only 6 short weeks to our wedding which will be a relatively small intimate affair so looking forward to that then in true STW style off camping for our ‘honeymoon’ but with my sister brother in law and 3 nephews!

As always finally a big thanks goes out to Kirstin for helping me through this over the past 4 months, visiting me in hospital daily and bringing me in lunch and fruit so I’m not stuck on hospital food. She really has been my rock and nobody else knows what we’ve been through except the two of us.

That’s all for now folks and remember to give those you love a kiss tonight.

John.

Cougar

Awesome. Fingers crossed and congratulations.

stumpy01

Wow. Yeah, as above….fingers crossed for you.

May you have an amazing wedding and honeymoon!

All the best to you and your family….

trail_rat
    Free Member

John glad to hear your looking up.

Really hope you guys have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.

It’s gonna rock. Sounds like she’s there 100% for you.

Show this shit who’s the boss !

funkmasterp

Thanks for the update John and fingers crossed for the results. I hope you have a lovely wedding and honeymoon. Take care

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes fingers crossed and have a brilliant wedding

jamj1974

Fingers all crossed for you here. Enjoy your wedding!

curto80
    Free Member

With you every step of the way John, keep looking forward, there’s a brighter dawn just around the corner.

jeffl

Cracking news 😀

twistedpencil

Great news and enjoy the big day!

eulach

Have fun getting married and good luck with the other thing.

teasel
    Free Member

Nice one, John. Stay positive.

juanking

Evening all.

It’s about time I updated this so here it is!

I was just scrolling up to see when I last updated this and remember the moment well which now feels like a lifetime ago…

Once the PICC line was removed and my neutrophils normalised the temperature spikes have stopped so not entirely sure which was the cause/solution either way it means I’ve now been hospital free for a fortnight!

The end of treatment scan was done and we met with the consultant to discuss the results. The summary was very positive with the current status of my ‘condition’ was I am in ‘complete remission’. This is obviously the best outcome we could have dreamt of so to say it’s a huge relief would be an understatement. We have check up appointments every 8 weeks for the next two years as the relapse rate is highest early on. He did also mention that typically those who have such a dramatic response to the treatment early on are typically those who do not relapse at all so fingers crossed.

My strength and stamina is improving on a daily basis with a combination of food and gentle excercise. This is being hampered a little with the neuropathy (numbness/prickly sensation) I have in my feet but this is slowly improving. My stomach is still a little tender so am conscious of that and am a little neurotic of any innocuous aches or pains but suppose that’s normal.

The next big hurdle to overcome is our wedding in 3 weeks so Kirstin is busy sorting all of that so looking forward to seeing lots of family and friends. This is going to be more of a party/celebration so am hoping for lots of laughter, drinking, chatting and generally have a nice time with those who are closest to us. We are not doing gifts so have setup a donate page to ‘friends of anchor’ who do amazing work and am thankful for the care I have received over the last 4 months.

Cerys finishes nursery on Thursday so am looking forward to having a few weeks of fun and normal things that we usually take for granted but should not. We are off camping early next week as a trial before our longer trip in 3 weeks for our ‘honeymoon’. Just today we were walking on the beach front here is balmy Aberdeen and both Kirstin and I agreed that today just felt like a normal day and we were on holiday rather than at the (positive) end of an emotional four month rollercoaster.

That in itself is a huge step in the right direction compared to where we’ve been…

I have found this thread very cathartic so thanks to the ‘powers that be’ and may even upgrade to a P.

The final big discussion in our house is what do I do about my lack of eyebrows as it does look strange in photos, do I go for fake, pencil or HD brows? The lack of hair isn’t such an issue as I’ve been a grade zero for the last 10 years or so!

Thanks all

John

Ps. The fellow Aberdonians I will honour the BBQ promise and will message you after the wedding.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Cracking news.

As for the eyebrows make yourself a stick on set.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Glad to hear this 🙂

benz
    Free Member

John, your post has made my day and also made me look at my family and truly enjoy taking the faithful hound for her last walk before bed whilst sniffing the air and enjoying the sky, breeze in the leaves, etc, etc.

Pollen must be bad today too

😉

Great news. Truly.

benz
    Free Member

Go HD 8)

NZCol

Super news, best wishes for the big day.

funkmasterp

Great news. The wedding and honeymoon will be amazing 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Woohoo!

granny_ring

Great news, good luck for the wedding and future 😀

curto80
    Free Member

John, this brought back some memories I can tell you. What an inspiration, I’m so happy for you and yours. Have an amazing wedding.

badnewz
    Free Member

This is good news, says Badnewz.

novaswift
    Free Member

Been reading your thread and this news is great to read. We wish you all the health and happiness
    Ian

RustyMac

Fantastic news, all the very best for the wedding and I hope you have an outstanding time on your honeymoon.

Eyebrows – I am told there are temporary tattoo ones that you can get that look fairly realistic. Well that was the route my cousin went down when he burnt his off with a lab experiment that went a little more boom than expected.

oldnpastit

Great news to hear.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Brilliant news mate.

Pigface
    Free Member

Such great news, big thumbs up.

sargey

Great news juan 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Awesome

hooli

Great news!

strawman
    Free Member

Hi John, great news for you and your family. Bright things ahead. I will pray for your continued recovery. God bless you and yours.

strawman
    Free Member

Hope you’re doing OK, John. Have a blessed weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 296 total)

The topic ‘So, I've just found out I too have cancer.’ is closed to new replies.