• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • crosshair
    Free Member

I know! With hindsight, my race was a shower of s**t!! 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

……But I got a pay rise at the meeting afterwards so it was worth not focussing too much on the race 😆

I have a strange feeling my Tempo session on Wednesday may become Z2 and my Z2 on Thursday become Z1 and Fridays S drills may become race openers this week 😀

Somebody has upped the ante 😉

nathb
    Free Member

That pic must have been early on?

We weren’t going at pace so I was also up like a sail 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Yes, doing about 19mph I think 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

I’ve charged up my MTB light this week 😀

nathb
    Free Member

Hoping mine’s still charged from last week.

I’ve set aside some money for a power meter, has to be Ultegra though 😆

Forecast says rain between 4 & 5pm boo – commuter it is 🙂

weeksy

What time did you boys stay till? Or indeed are staying till this week?

nathb
    Free Member

I can be there from about 4:15 ish and can quite happily stay until 7.

crosshair
    Free Member

I have no pressing need to get back this week but certainly until dark….

weeksy

Ah right. Well, I’m afraid that’s not going to fly for me then boys. So I’ll see you Sat early doors and do some swift action tomorrow instead.

crosshair
    Free Member

Weeksy- What time did you think we’d leave? We wouldn’t have been riding until 15:30 at the earliest 😆

And if we left there at 17:00 we’d be sat in a queue for so long getting home, we’d have just as well left at 18:30 anyway…..

crosshair
    Free Member

(I know this because that’s what I did last week 😉 )

weeksy

I was assuming 5 mate, obviously incorrectly. It’s pancake day tomorrow and my lad is really looking forward to it. Silly as it sounds, his fun is more important than mine and missing pancake day wouldn’t sit well with me.

I’m not as convinced it will affect my result.

crosshair
    Free Member

As I say, I left at 5 last week and it took 1h45 to get home. I’m hoping it will be half that if I leave a little later.

I don’t think it will affect your result but it will give you some muscle memory of riding inches apart at speed through a corner- which can only help.

We’re having our pancakes on Wednesday 🙂 (Freddie can’t read a calendar yet 😆 )

weeksy

I tried that when my lad was 2 and we went to morzine, I wanted to come back 2 days after his birthday. Mrs Weeksy wasn’t having it that we don’t tell him and have his birthday a few days late.

crosshair
    Free Member

Lol! A birthday and pancake day are a little different 😆

Kudos for trying though 😀

nathb
    Free Member

Guys I’ve got 45mm depth wheels.

Will these fit!?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

You’ll need a valve extender

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, with valve extender. The Vitoria ones are good, they have a removable core. Don’t get the Michelin ones, they don’t.

nathb
    Free Member

And you’d recommend them over butyl for a race bike?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Are your wheels carbon? There is usually a warning on the tube box (and a warning sticker on the rims) recommending not to use latex with carbon rims.

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah Hope Carbon 45s

nathb
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ll overheat latex tubes in crits!?

Basket is ready to go:
    KMC X11 EL Gold Chain
    2x Vittoria Latex tubes

I’ll hit the buy button if I get my 2 points. 😆

nathb
    Free Member

@ Weeksy, worth a watch for Sat:

[video]https://youtu.be/fqLdeLchqYA[/video]

OmarLittle
    Free Member

yeah you’ll probably be alright with them for crits

mrblobby
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ll overheat latex tubes in crits!?

🙂

I ran latex tubes on carbon rims all last year on a couple of bikes and had they were fine. I might think twice about an alpine descent but otherwise I’d not worry.

nathb
    Free Member

That’s reassuring @mrblobby – and once in they’re less p*n<t^re prone?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I think so. Have had good experience of running then all winter with GP4000’s too.

crosshair
    Free Member

Another fun training session at Hillingdon this evening. Thankfully, the clouds parted, the rain stopped and the sun came out to make a lovely evening!

I got absolutely trounced in 2x 1km races by both Nath and Jesper. I redeemed myself though in the 2x 200m sprint races with 1470w and 1459w maximums respectively.

I did a few good max cadence drills with over 140rpm up the hill a few times too. That’s positively whirring for me 🙂

weeksy

That’s a big number indeed!

nathb
    Free Member

Left me for dead 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s a pretty irrelevant number when the comms have pulled you off and you’re stood watching the rest of the bunch sprinting it out 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s a pretty irrelevant number

Numbers are nice but the important one is how fast you were over those 200m 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Quite! I certainly wouldn’t be kicking out 1400w after doing 8w/kg for 1 min!!!

crosshair
    Free Member

Yay! Strava is back online 🙂

Carrying on the pointless numbers thing, my second sprint was over 1000w average for 15 seconds 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Those are very impressive sprint numbers.

It’s a pretty irrelevant number when the comms have pulled you off and you’re stood watching the rest of the bunch sprinting it out

Continue the progress and in a few weeks or months time it will be a different story. Getting your fitness up to a level where you stick in with the bunch is an easier goal (relatively speaking) than it is for most riders to put out 1400+ watts. Many won’t get close to that no matter how much focus they put into improving their sprint.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Indeed, i could install a 500W motor and still never trouble 1400.

nathb
    Free Member

Strava estimates my max power was 545w 😆

My 1k anti clockwise was 1:28, 6 seconds slower on the commuter, but only at 337w 🙂

weeksy

You boys are scaring me now !

crosshair
    Free Member

Numbers are nice but the important one is how fast you were over those 200m

@MrBlobby- We rolled to the line at 15mph and I maxed out at 29mph into a quartering 10mph headwind. I was on the drops and trying to be as aero as possible 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1,281 through 1,320 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.