Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • So called "Terror Cameras" in Birmingham
  • Frankers
    Free Member

Following on from the protests last year in Birmingham about the CCTV in Sparkbrook and Washwood Heath link to BBC news

I drive through this area regularly, and have many a great night in the local Balti houses, and could understand their points..

But hearing this news really lessens the local communities argument against them.

aP
    Free Member

I really don’t imagine that some poorly maintained and basically useless CCTV cameras have done anything to help these luckless four be arrested. However, what it does do is tell that community that they’re considered to be worth watching.
    TBH – when was the last time that anyone has ever heard of CCTV actually doing anything useful.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thing is though the cams were surveilling the entire community, not just those suspected of ‘terrorism’.

Stuff like that is more likely to enrage people and lead to radicalisation of individuals tbh. It’s saying ‘we don’t trust people like you’. It’s bang out of order.

A tiny group of individuals being arrested (note, no charges have yet bin made…) does not justify in any way the treatment of an entire community with suspicion.

Frankers
    Free Member

Stuff like that is more likely to enrage people and lead to radicalisation of individuals tbh. It’s saying ‘we don’t trust people like you’. It’s bang out of order.

I agree with your point entirely, and feel sorry for the community leaders that fought against the cameras. Though surely now they must be feeling let down by certain members of their community.

Northwind

Frankers – Member
    But hearing this news really lessens the local communities argument against them.

Why? Did the cameras make any difference for that case? Seems very unlikely.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There is no justification for using intimidatory ‘surveillance’ of any community, just because a few nutters might do bad things. None whatsoever. Historically, it’s statistically far more likely a White person is going to commit an act of terror in the UK. Surveillance cams in all areas where White folk live?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The suspects – three aged 19 and one aged 24 – are suspected of fundraising in the UK and travelling to train for terrorist purposes in Pakistan

Must be awesome cameras

scruff
    Free Member

Surveillance cams in all areas where White folk live?

Er yes plenty. Nothing to hide nothing to fear. Are Muslims to be allowed to go through airports without being screened just so it doesnt offend the ‘community’, get over yourself.

enfht
    Free Member

ElfBoy in denial shocker

I guess they’re racist cameras too

Northwind

scruff – Member

Are Muslims to be allowed to go through airports without being screened just so it doesnt offend the ‘community’, get over yourself.

No- but then they shouldn’t be specifically targeted since statistically, the odds of a particular UK muslim being a terrorist aren’t substantially different to the odds of a particular christian being a terrorist, or pastafarian.

Racial/demographical targeting isn’t a bad idea because it’s unfair or racist, it’s a bad idea because it’s crap.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

ElfBoy in denial shocker

In ‘denial’ of what?

Are Muslims to be allowed to go through airports without being screened just so it doesnt offend the ‘community’, get over yourself.

Can’t even be bothered with this rubbish.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what northwind said

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Plenty of chance of an Oirish person being in the Real/Continuity/We’reBoredOfPeace IRA. Still not a good idea to surveil the whole of Counties Kilburn & Cricklewood. I used to get stopped, questioned and searched every time I travelled between the UK and Ireland in the nineties. Believe me, the novelty of it wore off after a while.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Any camera which shows more people the architecture of Birmingham is actually doing its own form of terrorism.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘So called "Terror Cameras" in Birmingham’ is closed to new replies.