Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • snowdon's rhyd ddu path, any good?
  • slowrider
    Free Member

its not just another name for the rangers path is it? cant find my OS map…

hidetherum
    Free Member

Rhyd Ddu is on the Beddlegert side of Snowdon.
    The Ranger path goes west from the summit. The Ryhd Ddu path goes south.

We plan to climb on the tourist path, and return via the ranger / telegraph route. Pete's eats is an important part of any route.

squin
    Free Member

Rhyd Ddu and Rangers aren't the same. Rhyd Ddu heads SW from the summit does a westward heading horseshoe and then drops down to Rhyd Ddu. Never cycled it though so can't comment. The pic on the homepage on here is Rhyd Ddu, is the article available online yet – or maybe one of the Eds can vouch for how good or not it is?

OS Map (Hope it Works)

Stu

slowrider
    Free Member

thanks very much. heading over that way this week to do the rangers so might well check it out…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The reading I've done suggests that Rhyd Ddu is less overtly technical than the techiest part of the Rangers, but maintains a lesser level of technicality over more of its length.

That should make it a better ride in theory.

Some mention in the Snowdon Ride here:

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/Snowdon.html

IanMunro
    Free Member

It's about 20 years since i've done it, so the glasses are somewhat rose tinted, but I'd say it was way more technical than rangers. Certainly the summit section.

slowrider
    Free Member

did both rangers and rhyd ddu. rhyd ddu was ok, some techy bits near the top and a good section of loose rocks, skree and lots of medium sized drop offs. it didnt press the same buttons as the rangers path though; fun from top to bottom. the only problem is its over too quick.

i dont think id bother with rhyd ddu again, the llanberis track would probably be more fun.

Dave
    Free Member

Route guide in next issue for Rhyd Ddu

hidetherum
    Free Member

Update.
    Snowdon Tourist path; two and a half hours to do the five miles to the summit. Probably 30-40% rideable. It seems steepest around the Clogwyn station which is about 3/4 of the way up.
    The ranger descent is great, fast. Loose, sometimes deep shale.
    The descent gets steeper, rockier and more techinical on the shoulder of cloggy. Very rideable, though there are about four drops you might want to step round.
    The extra push to the top of the telegraph route is worth it. The connecting trail is sign posted, but very indistinct. The telegraph route is a blast, all the better if you can bunny hop the drainage channels.

More grins than a rather large grin factory.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘snowdon's rhyd ddu path, any good?’ is closed to new replies.