Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)
  • Snowboarders ?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

What does irk me are groups of boarders who decide to have a sit down and spread out across the middle of the piste, usually in the most dangerous spot possible.

bazzer
    Free Member

I usually sit down in the snow to wait for my skiing buddies to catch up

You need to get some friends who can ski then 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Your bike’s got an engine, does it?

Yes, it just happens to be the lower half of the same thing that’s controlling it, but the two are unrelated. Just ask a tandem stoker.

boring pedant

Bored troll actually – get it right 🙂

jools – this is just complete silliness, no-one’s taking board vs ski seriously on here 🙂

And besides, you can’t XC snowboard.. or can you..?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You don’t ride the snowboard. You ride the mountain, maaaaan.

stevomcd
    Free Member

And besides, you can’t XC snowboard.. or can you..?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w7sVSMbjyM[/video]

clubber
    Free Member

I wanna be on the first lift in the morning

FWIW, me too but since I can happily stop mid ride (mtbs!) and have an hour long chat with mates, I can perfectly well understand why boarders ( 😉 ) might do the same.

organic355
    Free Member

What does irk me are groups of boarders who decide to have a sit down and spread out across the middle of the piste, usually in the most dangerous spot possible.

I am a boarder and that pisses me off too.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

I like the bit where NO skiers will sit next to you on a chair as they expect to be wiped out when you get off ? To date I have never taken a skier out as I was taught how to get of lifts from day one. I have however had to stop/ride around or assist in untangling ski pile ups at the top of chair lifts.

I dont get pissed off, live and let live as long as everybody is having fun in the snow and heh I ride with however wants to play.

bazzer
    Free Member

I like the bit where NO skiers will sit next to you on a chair as they expect to be wiped out when you get off ?

I like the bit where intermediate (snow)borders have to go on a certain side of a lift 🙂

Yep live an let live, I know some real good borders and love riding with them (on my skis 🙂 )

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ha! I’m keen that chair lifts should be fully occupied when there is a queue. So I take a spare place next to a bunch of skiers. Very often they all hold back and I’m on the chair alone! The lift attendant never moans about this.

Snowboarders frighten a lot of casual skiers. Mwwaaahahahahhaha!

molgrips
    Free Member

Lifts? You lazy buggers.

nedrapier

molgrips, you’d probably enjoy this film from teh aforementioned non-lazy bugger, Jenny Jones:

[video]http://vimeo.com/7009400[/video]

stevomcd
    Free Member

Watching that right now…

PSA BTW – it’s free on the cover of Onboard this month… if you can face buying Onboard….

LimboJimbo

I am a snowboarder and Mrs Jimbo skis. Incredibly, we get on just fine. Imagine! The sitting down thing is because it’s quite hard to stand stationary on a board, ski-ists have poles. As for the sitting down in the middle of the piste thing, that perplexes me too.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Now show me a skiing vid that makes me go and get my hats, goggles, boots and board etc out of the cupboard and fiddle with them. Not going to happen is it.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Thanks for the link ……sick real sick… rushes of to wax board YAHOOOOOOOOO !!!! its will soon be ride time….

Heh Swede you a boarder & a niche then ?

stumpynya12
    Free Member

whoops !!! double post finger slip…

nickjb
    Free Member

I like the bit where NO skiers will sit next to you on a chair as they expect to be wiped out when you get off

Boarders do seem pretty sketchy getting off but I tend to avoid them if the queue allows for reasons. The board sits across the chair which is pretty uncomfortable for skiers and the chairlift seems to be a good place for a cigarette break or to shout into a mobile phone. The second one is more about being rude than being a boarder but they seem to go together. We usually ski/board in a mixed group so I know plenty of polite, friendly ones, too for balance.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Sort of Stumpy. Have only been in snow domes and local hills in the white stuff though so a newbie really but off to Flaine on new years day for the first time abroad. Can’t fing wait.

devs
    Free Member

Boarders refer to it as riding as they never get to ride for real. Well not the male ones anyways, I’ve shown a few of the female ones how to pole plant. I think there is a reason why those boarders need to rest all day, it’s because they spend all night in the toe edge faceplant position with their “riding” buddies. Did you know there is actually a plural for snowboarders now? Yes, it’s called a felching of boarders. I do like their original clothing though, how come no one else in history thought of padded jacket and trousers for wearing in cold weather? Genius that one. Now if they could only come up with something for keeping our heads warm they would have got it dialled. Or is it sorted? I dunno it’s so confusing with all these new words being brought into the English language by those innovative chappies. Laters dudes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TheSwede – Member
    Now show me a skiing vid that makes me go and get my hats, goggles, boots and board etc out of the cupboard and fiddle with them. Not going to happen is it.

One of many…
    Another

Skiiing is where it’s at. All the cool kids are skiing. What has made me happy of late is that I was pondering becoming a ghey on a tray, as everyone knows that wakeboarding is waaaay cooler than waterskiing. However….The nu skool (As I believe de yoof dem spellz it) are all skiing not snowboarding. Check out Mr James “Woodsy” Woods to see what I mean. (Nice guy, too!)

Skis are just cooler. **** poncing around in uber expensive ski clothing braying about how they spent ages in the sidecountry at Cham, daaaaahling are not, but skiing is.

nedrapier

Steve: is bloody Deeper bloody free with bloody Onboard? Just spent £25 on that! Wouldn’t usually, but I’ve been looking forward to it.

TheSwede, this any good for you? bit of a **** intro, but it gets better. I love the roll at 2:17. not the biggest or skillest, but pretty steezy.

[video]http://vimeo.com/13522173[/video]

And if this doesn’t make you realise that it’s all cool, nothing will. Alpine skis, Telemark skis, Snowboards, Speed Flyers, Monoskis…

[video]http://vimeo.com/6583066[/video]

nickjb
    Free Member

Skiing is more about doing it than watching other people. Maybe that’s why boarders sit in the middle of the slope.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Nope sorry, tried to watch those but it’s like watching golf to me. I used to be a skateboarder as a youth yoof so boarding just seams right and skiing doesn’t interest me one bit. I’m sure it’s just as much fun for you guys but the feeling of carving on a board does it for me and besides those tricks on skis just look soooo goofy.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Terje and Jeremy are such sick dudes.

There’s nothing wrong with skiing really. Particularly if you can do the free-heel thing, it’s very practical. I found skiing harder to master and generally more technical. Snowboarding just feels more basic and direct. Mostly I forget about the board by the first turn and just feel my interaction with the terrain. I didn’t feel that so strongly with skis. But each to their own game.

My gear is fairly drab – mostly brown or black – I lust after some lime-green pants. But that really clashes with my snowboard which is blue. Maybe I should for that reason?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Nedrapier – nice link

anyone remember Olofssons section in TB10 to Weezer when he tumbles and tumbles , and tumbles and tumbles ….. one of the best sections ever.

TheSwede
    Free Member

buzz, Just bought kermit green DC’s 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nice. These Ripcurl are also sick.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Not baggy enough 😉

b17
    Free Member

Stevo! Need to reserve a watch of that dvd in January!

stevomcd
    Free Member

anyone remember Olofssons section in TB10 to Weezer when he tumbles and tumbles , and tumbles and tumbles ….. one of the best sections ever.

Yeah, his section in TB9 is still the best freeride section I’ve ever seen… there’s one particular couloir where he pops a 180 off a windlip into it, straightlines the couloir, then reverts out at the end – then you realise that he’s straight-lined the couloir switch… 😯

Steve: is bloody Deeper bloody free with bloody Onboard? Just spent £25 on that! Wouldn’t usually, but I’ve been looking forward to it.

Sorry dude, purchased it at our local magazine emporium last night and just watched it! Guess it’s not quite free as the mag was 7€ and will be going directly to the cat litter tray… (although it did have a half-decent article about Terje & co in Kamchatka…)

molgrips
    Free Member

nedrapier, that is indeed very cool (apart from the soundtrack).

That’s how you appreciate mountains. Not having someone bulldoze them for you and put in lifts to haul your sorry arses up all day.

Sacrilege.

Imagine they took out the climb at Afan and put in a lift. You lot would be up in arms.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mountain bikes, wears womens knickers, likes macaroni cheese or wears a fez to bed

psychic, or just stealing the cctv feed to my dungeon?!

i’d rather hang around with some of the skiers i’ve met than most of the boarders i’ve met i have to admit… boarding, because of its (rightly aquired) extra-cool and so much more awesome than skiing status seems to attract some real c0cks.

the kinda people who wore 140quid trainers to school, and post retro looking photos from their iphone app on their blog about going to house-parties in london with other people who pretend to work in the music industry…. EUGH!

but then again there”s nothing more frustrating that the skiiers not understanding why you’re wearing a jacket from TKmaxx… “couldnt you just call up daddy and get him to buy you one?!”

😀 having fun going down hills, tis what its all about!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Skiing/Snowboarding
    BMX/MTB
    Bodyboarding/Surfing
    Rollerblading/Skateboarding
    Rugby/Football
    Xbox/Playstation
    Tea/Coffee

Do I need to keep going?

If it’s fun, what’s the problem? I started snowboarding in 1991 and skiing in 2002. I like to do both and there’s no real difference between the two any more (although skiing means more control = more speed and bigger tricks, plus you don’t have to fanny about swapping between board and snowshoes).

Actually, I don’t do either any more as I moved back to England and don’t really see the point of going for a week or two. I do find it interesting that so many British skiers/snowboarders are full of opinion, despite only spending about 30 days on snow in their lives.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Swede…….. Now your really starting to impress me. It’s a brilliant feeling on a board and I’m sure it will all click in Flaine and you will ride like a good un. Powder snow on order for you 8)

I don’t suppose tollahs cool enough to board ?

TheSwede
    Free Member

He does actually stumpy, in a fashion. I shouldn’t laugh as I landed a tiny jump on my head the last time we went.

D0NK

I like the bit where NO skiers will sit next to you on a chair as they expect to be wiped out when you get off ?

I like that too, means I can sit with my board at a comfortable angle and when I get the occasional wobble exiting the lift I don’t wipe them out 🙂

1st time on a chairlift me and 2 mates we had no idea wghat to do, ended up clinging onto each other for balance and all wiped out. Next go 2 of us did OK, the third was hit in the back by the lift….carnage.

RepacK
    Free Member

Arguing over which sport is cooler is about the dumbest thing anyone can ever do..

Watch this if you like the mountains be it on a board or on a set of skis.

Ski the 14ers with Chris Davenport

Shandy
    Free Member

Matchstick – Skiing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8WH2LBmCa4

Absinthe – Snowboarding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTATBRhS8DY

The chat on here reminds me of the Crystal Holidays transfer bus, not in a good way.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Tollah,Swede & Stumpy on trays oh how gay 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Snowboarders ?’ is closed to new replies.