Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Snowboarders
  • asmythe76
    Free Member

Just come back from Zell Am See where I did a days introduction to snowboarding. Guy in the rental shop asked which way I would stand on board. I said if it was a skateboard I would stand right foot forward. He set it up for me and off I go. The instructor tells me I should have it set up left foot forward cos I would kick a ball right footed. So she changes the bindings over. But when I was on the board it just felt wrong to be left foot forward. She even said to me I seem to get the front and back of the board confused. I said its cos I thought my right foot should be in front. She says no.
    I’ve searched online and they seem to say if you were to skid on ice which foot would be in front? For me right. And if someone was to push me which foot would I instinctively put out to support me? Right again. Therefore right foot forward.
    Any help would be appreciated cos I want to go to Xscape to master snowboarding.

Mintman
    Free Member

I tend to ride left foot forward because that’s my balancing leg. I like having my strongest leg behind me so during a turn I have confidence that I will bring my right leg round in order to complete the turn/stop.

I was under the impression that it was what you felt most comfortable with and not necessarily a rule to determine it.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I’m right footed at everything and left foot forward on the snowboard. The back foot does most of the hardwork on the snowboard so it makes sense. Most right footed snowboarders I know sit left foot first. Which is normal.

saying that – folk do ride goofy, but just do what ever feels comfortable for yourself. wouldnt worry to much about what others say

rockfield
    Free Member

Ignore the instructor and go with what feels more comfortable.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

It doesnt matter what leg you’d kick a ball with. What foot do you put forward on your bike? Basically whichever way you feel more comfortable. If you paid for the lesson I would complain.

There is no rule, I’m right footed, I have my right foot forward. BUT there is no connection. My brother who is also right footed for everything has his left foot forward.

phil.w
    Free Member

the guy in the shop had it correct. if your right footed your right foot is at the front of the board. otherwise known as goofy.

you should not be using your back leg to force the board around. this is bad technique. therefore you do not need your strong leg at the back. all turns should be lead by your shoulders and hips.

motivforz
    Free Member

As said above its whatever is more comfortable/natural to you. I ride goofy (right foot forward), used to skateboard right foot forward, right foot forward when pedals level on bike, etc etc. I’m right footed in that I would kick something with my right foot, but I’m rubbish at football, so not sure if I really am with co-ordination.

Basically the ice slidy thing is a way of finding out which you’re more comfortable with. Alternatively spin round lots, get really dizzy, then get somebody to shove you from behind, you will instinctively put one foot forward. This foot is the one you should have forward. Especially if it felt weird the other way round.

After a couple of weeks I started trying to learn switch (left foot forward just by going down the hill ‘backwards’) as its useful occasionally. But start off with what you feel comfortable with. I’m no expert but your instructor sounds like a tool.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have strong right-dominance so it was easy for me. My friend has weak right-dominance. So he set up regular, but initially struggled with feeling which was the front and which was the back. Once he got past falling-leaf and into basic turning, it clicked.

I’d say start with your skateboard stance. But be prepared to experiment.

Kieran

The ice slide thing is a great way to see which stance you have.

Your instructor was an idiot! After a couple of lessons on a recent trip after a few years of boarding I realised that anything you do that is different to the instructor is “wrong” but it might be right for you.

Not all people ride a bike the same way/style and snowboarding is the same.

GrahamS

Almost all beginners struggle with which foot should be forward.

There are no rules, only rough guidelines and rules of thumb.
    Personally I slide on ice with my right foot forward, kick a ball with my right, but I board left foot forward.

I’d say if you already skate right foot forward then stick with that.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I snowboard rightfoot forward but I spin off jumps better switch (left foot forward). I ride bikes predominately left foot forwards…unless I’m spinning (180/360) or hitting quaterpipes/bowls when I half pedal to swap my feet to rightfoot forward,which gets really complicated in a tight skatepark as I get confused!I also jump better on port tack (leftfoot forward) windsurfing-but thats more due to only ever really sailing port tack beaches than a predisposition.
    I’m complicated…….

BlingBling
    Free Member

juiced
    Free Member

same as skatebaord

jam-bo

Learn to ride both ways and then it doesn’t matter.

McHamish
    Free Member

All those things are just guidelines…at the end of the day you should go with what feels comfortable. When my wife tried boarding…I just gave her shove from behind and which ever foot she stepped forward with was the one she went with.

But once you start boarding…you can change if it doesn’t feel right.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

if you skate board goofy then stick to that on a snowboard especially if it feels natural to you

GrahamS

Learn to ride both ways and then it doesn’t matter.

Probably some truth to that, especially if you already skate.

Back in the day when I first learned, everyone had directional boards and stances with forward facing angles (e.g. +30 +15 was common) and riding backwards meant craning your head right around. These days most people seem to ride pretty neutral angles (“duck stance” as we used to call it) and most boards are bi-directional.

cp

i’m right footed for everything, including right foot forward on a skateboad. When i had my first snowboard lesson a couple of years ago, the instructor said the rul of thumb was that i should be left foot forwards on the board. BUT I just can’t balance that way round, so he told me to go back to right foot forward as i was way more comfortable with it & at the end of the day, it doesnt really matter as long as you balance – all the control comes from hips and upper body.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

still called duck, most ride +15 – 15 which is a pretty comfortable stance as it reduces pressure on your knees and is a more natural stance than a forward facing one.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

CP the control comes from your feet applying pressure to along the board, using your upper will cause you to swing the turn and not carve it

Woody
    Free Member

The guy in the shop was right as your natural stance on a skateboard is goofy. Instructor sounds like a muppet and it’s a pity you paid for and wasted most of a day. Holidays are precious but at least you’ll know next time.

the_lecht_rocks

learning to ride ‘switch’ was the hardest / longest technique i had to master with snowboarding.

i ride regular and also lead with the left on my MTB downhill too…..

stabilizers

I would say your natural stance is goofy. Just like myself there are many right footed riders who naturally lead with the right in everything. Its just the way we are. Trying to ‘switch’ this early would be bad and just mess you up. Your going to have enough to worry about without it feeling wrong. Being able to ride both ways is good but its something for the long term.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Snowboarders’ is closed to new replies.