Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Smallest balance bike?
  • ben
    Free Member

I want to buy my nephew one for Christmas. He’ll be about 18 months by then, he was walking at 13 months and pretty big for his age.

Still think he’ll need one of the smaller models, any suggestions?

Thannks!

GW
    Free Member

if you can find one, this is the smallest I could find, it fitted my (stumpy legged) youngest at 18months. inside leg at the time was only 11″ and was scooting along feet up within a week of getting it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/bike-25-4cm-Learner-Balance-Beginner/dp/B004LULZD6

10″ wheels means it’s a lot smaller than a 12″ Isla/ridgeback etc. balance bike

(saddle to ground) the smallest 12″ wheel one seems to be the Strider.

Bez

I like the fact that they point out that it’s “certified poison-free” 🙂

ben
    Free Member

Thanks GW

enfht
    Free Member

Puky, think they were in Friday Fresh Goods a month or two back

takisawa2

Rothan seat drops down quite a way. A lot of money though, doubt we’d pay that much again but sold for 70% of original price after 2yrs use. Not bad for a kids bike. Ridgeback scoot is just as good & cheaper, & Declathon do one that’s uncannily simmillar. 😉

ben
    Free Member

I do like the look of the Rothan. I guess he’ll always grow into it if it’s a touch big at Christmas.

The bike pictured from GW looks perfect but I can’t find any stock anywhere.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’d second the Puky it is super low, but maybe the manufacturers publish this info?

tomaso
    Free Member

The one GW posted £30 ebay special, have you tried the bay?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We use Zoom bikes at work – seem pretty small, but not sure of actual size.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I had the same problem a couple of years ago.
    The Rothan and the Puky were significantly lower than any other balance bike I could find.

I may have a Rothan for sale (silver with brake), decision pending with my mate to see if he wants it or not.

mintimperial

The Islabike Rothan is the lowest one I’ve seen. Cracking little bike. A mate of mine sold theirs on for more than he paid for it a couple of weeks ago.

honourablegeorge

My wee two yeat old was on the Adams one from CRC on the morning of his 2nd birthday, and pretty much every day since.

Squirreled
    Free Member

I got firstbikes for our twin boys, they were perhaps a bit big for them at two and a half but there is a lowering kit, the website says:

“You can start from around two, though some children can start even earlier (the STREET with solid tyres can be ridden by riders as small as 84cm with the lowering kit attached!)”

http://firstbike.uk.com/index.php

Brilliant bikes, very light, well made and seem durable, would recommend to anyone!

dr_death
    Free Member

Just bought the boy one of these for xmas… 18months up apparently and have flames down the side!

http://www.earlyrider.com/product/early-rider-original-lite/

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

+1 for Puky

The Fresh Goods Friday one is in use by my very small 2 year old and I’m amazed at what he can do on it – I have to run to keep up. Had both feet off the ground within a few days.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Puky and rothan have seats lower than the earlyrider.
    The seat is about level with the top of the 12″ wheel on both.

stupot
    Free Member

+1 for puky.
    Smallest ive seen. My lad was on it by 18months, Daughter was a little smaller so took a extra few months.

GaryLake
    Free Member

My boy’s only 12 months and being impatient I’ve gone down the Toddle Bike route. Only £20 but could be a good stop gap – reviews look favorable too.

http://www.toddlebike.co.uk/

He can barely touch the ground on it but like I said, he’s only 12 months.

yetidave
    Free Member

Adams

we had one of these for our first, not sure of dimensions, but my 18mth is already trying it out.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a strider rider one in a probably fruitless attempt to stop Rose trying to steal other kids bikes at the park.

They say 28cm inside leg, compared to 30cm for Islabikes and 29cm for Puky. She is a pretty average sized 18 month old now, so we shall see whether it fits.

I bought a brake too, if the kamikaze nature of her running around translates to the bike she will need it, plus the 20% downhill on the way back from the childminders will mean brakes might be worth learning about sooner rather than later! Thinking about that, is there any cunning technology to stop kids escaping on balance bikes – she has a little life backpack with a leash thing which I guess might do the job?

phutphutend
    Free Member

My daughter was bombing around on her Rothan just before she got to two. She’s a tiny little thing, her mum’s only 5′ and she seems to be following that trend.

The Rothan also has the added advantgaes of being very well made and strong. Strong enough even for Dad to run down the hills in the park at a none to safe speed and control level!

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

I use the Puky carry strap as a brake when near the road and a towing line when legs get tired. Can’t confirm if this is 100% safe but seems ok.

GW
    Free Member

Ben – seems to be only available in pink now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004LUK2FI?ie=UTF8&tag=theukusho-21

not sure why folk are still banging on about Rothan’s being the smallest they’ve seen? they’re nowhere near as low as those ^^ or any other 10″ wheeled balance bike) if you need the smallest, def look for 10″ wheels rather than 12″, Ok, they’ll grow out of it sooner but who cares when they’ll be having so much fun riding at such a young age? you’ll sell it on easily and you can probably put what ever you get for it towards a pedal bike before they even reach two and a half/three

loving the false marketting on the early rider posted up there too, 29.5cm to the top of the rear tyre? WTF? it’s a 12″ tyre, so no shit it’s around 30cm, eh?!!! pity the saddle’s actually a good cm higher 🙄 and getting over the pointless mudguard will be even more of a mission for a wee one.

Brycey
    Free Member

GW – that looks just the ticket. What age was yours on it from?

Edit – doh, just read your first post.

firestarter
    Free Member

After much searching the smallest I found is in the link below. I needed it as my little man kept trying to pinch his sisters ridgeback scoot but was way too little

He was on this at 11 months old
    http://www.pukybikes.co.uk/learner-bikes/balance_bikes_lrm.htm
    In action 😉

ben
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Lots of options. Wasn’t planning on getting him a pink bike, but that’s clearly the smallest GW so pink it could be! Puky also an option but the Rothan does look very well built.

Will get my sister to measure the lad up at the end of the month and take it from there.

firestarter
    Free Member

Puky is really well made too mate

ben
    Free Member

Cheers mate, love the pic btw. They could have picked a better name though!

Mike_D
    Free Member

not sure why folk are still banging on about Rothan’s being the smallest they’ve seen? they’re nowhere near as low as those ^^ or any other 10″ wheeled balance bike)

Amazon 10in balance bike Saddle height: approx. 29-35 cm

Rothan with saddle right down – 29cm. So every bit as low.

Can’t argue with the price of the Amazon one, mind.

[Edit: The Puky claims 29cm minimum too]

Tasso
    Free Member

Yep the smallest Puky had our lad of average height for his age on two wheels at 18 months in a surprisingly competent manner within days. The Puky bikes are well built and seem to handle well whilst being light enough for them to manhandle. It’s coped with his passion for dropping off kerbs without complaint. Bit limiting off road because of the small diameter solid tyre/wheels, but it copes with woodland footpaths and the like.

He just turned three and we bought a 12″ wheeled Hotrock on Monday because he was asking for a bike with pedals. The coaster brake seems to be intuitive enough and he did a nightride monday. Cue one extremely proud set of parents. 😀

The larger Puky balance bikes were a bit big until 2+ as his friend has one complete with the rear brake. That would still be fine for our lad now, but the little Puky is just a bit too short.

Specialized also do a diddy balance bike which looks similar in size to the Puky.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

the specialized balance bike is about the same size as a Rothan, but the seat will not go as low because the bottom of the seat tube is sealed off.

GW
    Free Member

hacksaws are available 😉

Tasso
    Free Member

I haven’t seen a Rothan in the metal, but with larger frame and wheels it might last longer than the Puky if the sadddle height and reach to the bars can be made to work.

GW
    Free Member

er.. they may well have graduated to pedals by then tho.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Strider has turned up, just measured the seat height at lowest, and it is roughly 28cm maybe very slightly over, looks jolly low, seat is very close to the back wheel but not quite touching. It is a very nice orange colour, feels solid so far and is nice and light.

I just have to wait for her majesty to come back from childminders now so she can have a play with it (having to do work is also getting in the way). Hmph.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Just got one of THESE from Halfrauds for £39.99 and it is good for the cash, v brake with soft compound pads too 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Smallest balance bike?’ is closed to new replies.